To become a Taxidermist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
    Not to squash your dreams but taxidermy is not a good cash flow business. Steady cash flow is how you pay your bills. At the end of the day it is a good side hustle once you have learned the”ART” of taxidermy and not just stuffing as already mentioned. Plus your product is a luxury item not a necessity and your customers bills will come first when their dollars get tight. You might work your tail off for a month completing heads for pickup just to see them setting for another month are longer before they are actually picked up and paid for. The taxidermists on this forum will all agree that the customers that pester you to death about completing their work will normally be the last to pick it up.

That is a good point that I did not think about, thank you for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

“How much is it if I bring you two…?” Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        “How much is it if I bring you two…?” Lol
        Want the bro-in-law deal?? Good I hate him, he pays double

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          Focus on bobcats. :-)
          I love the Chinese bobcats that most of them turn out. Most I have seen look like they are squinting.

Comment

Work for people who will pay you.

Comment

I must add that there are taxidermist that have mastered the art that do well and make a very good living. You just really need to know what your doing before you open your doors. You only get one bite of the apple when dealing with a persons trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                I know someone hiring a taxidermist
                Yeah ..but he's a real asshat. [emoji38][emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                  Want the bro-in-law deal?? Good I hate him, he pays double
                  Joe charged me double for my Canada buck and I'm still happy with it.

[emoji38][emoji38]

Comment

When I was doing birds I could crank out 4/day if I was really going. 2/day is easy. It was cheap to do. I used back up rod for caulking in the necks, body forms were <$10.00 at that time. Eyes were a couple bucks. I was always picking up wood pieces. Other materials were gas, borax, moulding clay, plaster of Paris, a little paint, wire, and formaldehyde. All were inexpensive. Why I didn't do it as a career was all the animals are regulated by the state and feds. I felt like I would be constantly bothered by state and federal LEOs and paperwork review and audits could slow things down. If I made a mistake or something had lost it's documentation then the SHTF. I have been thinking about taking it back up after I retire but only for me and a few friends.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                      When I was doing birds I could crank out 4/day if I was really going. 2/day is easy. It was cheap to do. I used back up rod for caulking in the necks, body forms were <$10.00 at that time. Eyes were a couple bucks. I was always picking up wood pieces. Other materials were gas, borax, moulding clay, plaster of Paris, a little paint, wire, and formaldehyde. All were inexpensive. Why I didn't do it as a career was all the animals are regulated by the state and feds. I felt like I would be constantly bothered by state and federal LEOs and paperwork review and audits could slow things down. If I made a mistake or something had lost it's documentation then the SHTF. I have been thinking about taking it back up after I retire but only for me and a few friends.

How did you learn to do birds?

Comment

Originally posted by Abrooks118 View Post
                        How did you learn to do birds?

I was a duck hunting fool when I was a kid. I met a guy who duck hunted and did taxidermy. After a few trips in each of our areas, he taught me how to do them. I also had a source for surgical equipment in my family so scalpels and such were available. I think he interned for a taxidermist when he was in college. He has done some shoulder mounts for me in the distant past. I never learned how to do those just birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Brinkley View Post
                          I am sure there are many full time taxidermist on here that can speak to it more than I can. I have been doing taxidermy for about 15 years as a hobby. I typically only mount friends and family members animals.

Unless you have a client base of people that go to Africa, or your doing a ton of animals I do not see how someone can make a fulltime living in this craft alone.

Again, I am sure others will chime in with much more than I know. to give you an idea of the break down the costs for a typical whitetail shoulder mount you are pushing $200 in supplies and tanning alone.

So if you are charging $550 ($350) gross profit. You would need to complete nearly 200 shoulder mounts to make $60k gross.

Not to squash your dreams, just adding some perspective.
                          I do the same for family and friends. And I can't imagine doing enough of them to make a living. I don't know how they do it. If I figure hourly wage, I probably make minimum wage or less.

Comment

Working...
                          X