X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
      Yall tagged out yet? Should have one in the barn by now.
      49deg warming to 71deg they might be tough to find unless you walk into the right thicket or set of dunes out of the wind! Or it might be just right they're rutting like crazy!

Comment

Good luck. following

Comment

Good luck

Can you tell us more about the hunt when you have time? Is it spot and stalk, safari style, sitting in blinds? How about meals lodging etc? Overall costs? I’m very interested in hunting a Nilgai on the King Ranch someday.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Good luck

Can you tell us more about the hunt when you have time? Is it spot and stalk, safari style, sitting in blinds? How about meals lodging etc? Overall costs? I’m very interested in hunting a Nilgai on the King Ranch someday.
            Here's the two sites that cover costs and packages on the Ranch:
            Richard King’s descendants have been pioneers in wildlife management. They created visionary farming and ranching techniques and have managed the land to be productive while conserving and nurturing vital habitat for wild game – orchestrating a harmonious balance between wild …

It's mainly stalking/safari walking and cruising in the truck for the rifle hunters. The main thing about them is the unpredictability. 15 mins into the pasture your hunting and there's a SCI world class bull broadside @ 50yds begging to be shot and the very next day they're flying to the Kenedy or Yturria because you slammed the truck door at the pasture gate. The guide's know the best places too walk but I'd say being able to walk a couple miles is expected. Bring some light shooting sticks or tripod like the Primos bipod or tripod but most the guides have their own you can shoot off of.

The bow hunts are a package hunt out of the old four arrows camp that the Ranch fixed up and uses to make it easier to get more time in the woods to get one with a bow. The archery hunts are a combo of sitting on fence crossings/water holes morning and evening and stalking mid day to catch one in the oak thicket. Those shots can be long in the 40-70yd range.

Rifle hunts we'd meet you at the gate in Keystone's pic above on Hwy77 around 6:30 and drop your truck off by the HQ then head to the pastures we could hunt that day. If we were doing good or needed a break we'd head into Raymondville and grab lunch. If it was me I'd stay in Raymondville if I wanted to be closer to the gate (20mins) and in Kingsville if I wanted more choice of motels and places to eat but your looking at about a 45min drive to the gate.

Best hunts I had were returning hunters that wanted to stay all day and brought sandwich fixings and we'd picnic on a high spot so we could scan for Nilgai or go to one of the working pens and use the brush arbor or line house there to sit and eat (Actually shot a nice bull this way over on the West side of 77 doing this). Not sure about now but used to guide was responsible for field dressing the animals and getting them to the cooler. After that you could do it yourself or tip them to cape and quarter for you, or leave processing instructions for El Campo or Hibler's and they'd come pick them up and take them to Kingsville.

Dern it Keystone there's a Gun broker tab open on my browser and I'm looking at .375 H&H's and .338 Win because of this thread!!!

Comment

I rifle hunt the Kennedy ranch for nilgai. Most of the time its driving in a jeep, glassing. Turn a road and you will have a bull standing broadside at 450 yards. Sometimes its a combination of driving, spotting and stalking. Or sitting on a pipeline/sendero.

I shot a trophy bull from the jeep in a pasture, shot a cow from spot and stalk, shot a trophy bull from sitting still in an oak mott on a sendero (my profile pic). Also missed a few bulls (450 plus yard shots).

Comment

They must of walked a country mile twice, or they're stuck back in the dunes!!!

Comment

Dang it, needing updates bad.

Planning to so this some day.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice meat bull!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by keystone View Post

Well i went to shoot a cow , the guide said shoot that , it ended up being a young bull ... it will be delicious !!! It was sooooo thick and green , water every where ... so I paid for a cow got some meat , going back in March for the beast bull !!! A great fun hint over all , saw a lot of the ranch and had a good time .

Comment

Good luck. Just got home from the pasture north of Norias. We got a cow and a good ten yesterday morning. Tough hunting with the late rains, grass is 4’ tall in the motts making sightings tough. Weather was perfect through out the hunt. I’ll be back out there next Thursday for another round. We mostly shoot them out of Jeep’s. We make our way to the down wind side of the pasture and work the cross roads back into the wind walking around blind corners and stalking them on foot or creep up in the jeep. Freeze got a lot of them but there’s still plenty around.

Comment

Muddy Bud it was crazy the water and thick brush for November ... I love it down there , that's why I book hunts every year ...

Comment

Lots of fun chasing blue bulls!!![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X