No announcement yet.

Negative Effects from Freeze on Whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer are really healthy in Star. But had this big 8 at the feeder and his right G3 is black and his right main beam ends just past the start of his g3 and all black also. I saw this buck at a distance and thought he was broken up, but its frost damage.

Comment

I dont think the freeze had any negative impact on the native species. If freezing temps were an issue for them, there would be no deer in places like the midwest that have frozen periods that last much longer than the 6 days we had here.

The deep freeze was followed by a good rainy period and forage growth was booming at just the right time for deer. Now none of what i have said is backed by real science, but just what I have seen with my eyes, so it stands to reason that there could be some areas that actually were impacted more than others. But overall I think the deer were just super cold for a bit then went on like nothing ever happened.

Comment

The whitetail were built for the weather they inhabit. The Exotics were not, which is why they succumbed to the cold. We are seeing a good amount of deer in the Harper/Kerrville area with no change noticed as far as size and growth. I did shoot a an Axis in July that had frost burnt antlers with stunted growth. The whitetail look OK.

Comment

On my lease in Rusk Co. we have only one shooter on three different feeder sets. Same buck. I guess we’ll have to draw straws.

Comment

Kimble county herd looks good. First year on property, but deer are in good shape with mostly twin fawns.

Comment

Seeing a lot more small and thin basket racks this year in Mason county compared to last year. Hoping maybe when the rut starts our quality will increase. The bucks we are seeing look healthy. A few of the older does drawn down by nursing fawns still have rib cages visible. The deer seem to be browsing more since the rains came. Hope the rut gets some shooter bucks moving for us.

Comment

had nothing to do with it.

Comment

Whitetail, being native deer, can handle a cold snap with relative ease. the exotics are all from tropical areas and were never meant to be exposed to that kind of cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                    We are seeing lots of trash horn bucks and I rarely see that on my place.
                    We are seeing a lot of this as well. Lots of deformed antlers, and not in the "cool," non-typical way.

Comment

I think covid had a bigger effect with so many out of work and shooting anything they saw even out of season. Processor said last year he had never seen anything like it and was turning many away that tried to bring in deer the spring of 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                        We are seeing a lot of this as well. Lots of deformed antlers, and not in the "cool," non-typical way.
                        We've got some antler funk too, but ours is all on 3.5 y/o bucks that would have been legal otherwise, so I'm glad the trash will buy them another year.

We had a bad flood right when the fawns dropped. Completely wiped out our fawn crop. Not necessarily the end of the world as we had about 25 deer regularly ranging on 300 acres, but I think the flooding pushed deer into sub-prime browse ranges. This spring going to put in a lot of time behind the thermal to thin out the pigs and yotes. Also going to create some hinge cut areas to improve cover for does

Comment

We took some brush damage in Schleicher , sterling and Kenndall counties, that is making a late come back , but things seem normal with white tail!

Comment

Looking good in Sabinal county

Comment

Y'all crack me up.
                              Ya know there are WT deer all the way up into Canada right?

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                                Y'all crack me up.
                                Ya know there are WT deer all the way up into Canada right?
                                Yeah you would definitely think that, but In the big freezes in the 1980’s we saw a % of deer die of Pneumonia down highway 77 , or some other respiratory problems after
                                Nilgai took a bigger hit though for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X