No announcement yet.

Gentle deer behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the behavior of the deer in question are very different from the normal deer behavior in the area, I'd guess you have somebody rehabbing deer fawns nearby.

Comment

I have a couple like that in goliad
      Everything else runs off like their hair is on fire
      One will barely leave the feeder pen.

Kinda of nice to watch during the boring sits

Comment

What camo are you wearing? I want some.

Comment

Conditioning. They get used to being fed, and then start to associate it with humans. Pretty soon they have names, and expiration dates set.

Comment

I got one like that. Every sit last year. She would come running in when I arrived at my stand. Let me pour out some milo and climb the ladder. She'd sleep under me after she fed. Low fence, no pet.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Amazing how they act with little pressure.

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                  Deer get used to anything.
                  That's why, I don't wash my clothes in special stuff.
                  I don't try to be quiet.
                  Just, go about my normal stuff.

That’s funny, when I was a teenager my dad would smoke in his blind and drink his Diet Coke and I used to get so irritated since he saw basically the same quality deer I saw. Haha!!!!!

He is 83 now and still hunting, takes his propane heater and parks his ranger right next to the blind. He just likes being out there and I’m glad to have him.

Comment

I got to my blind Yesterday afternoon(Sunday) and he was there again. Same thing happened. It is really odd behavior. Gonna go head out for my first morning hunt in about 30 minutes. I`ll see if he`s there in the a.m. to or just the p.m.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      We used to hunt the mesquite down south for many years. There were a couple places we hunted where, I could put out corn and have 15 deer around my 10 ft. tripod, that would be on the edge of a clearing, in 10' to 12' tall mesquite. Most of the deer would be within 35 yards of the tripod. There was no question they could see me on that tripod, I was sihouetted badly, and in the winter when the mesquite don't have any leaves, I had to really stand out badly. But I would have deer 15 yards from me, almost every sit. That was until one old doe, decided the whole deal was wrong and started blowing. Then every time she showed up, she would walk up behind me in the brush and blow, scattering all of the deer. Then she would walk back and forth in the mesquite out of view, blowing for a good hour or more. That doe needed a arrow badly.

Before she showed up, it was like I was hunting in a petting zoo or something. All I ever saw from that spot were does, fawns and a couple of young bucks.
                      Any doe like that needs to be taken out

We had a doe at the house when the kids were little. Pretty sure she had been a pet but would not let you get closer than about 10yds. Easy to ID as she had an ear that hung down.
                      Was off limits to hunting and stayed around for years. Figure she died of old age, just vanished

Comment

It's a trick

Comment

Deer

When you have a place with lite pressure the deer are alot less likely to be skidish. Here's a buck on our place. I was filling a feeder and the Mule was still running.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I used to have a big place in Refugio county and it seemed we would have a deer like this every season somewhere on it. One year it was a buck at a feed pen that would just walk around it as you checked the feeder or whatever....he would not leave. Never saw him again after that season. One year it was a doe and her fawn at another pen. Rattle the corn sack and she would come running in. Never saw her again, at least never had another one act like that in that location. Another would just stand at the feeder and watch you put out hand corn and get in the blind. By the time you got in the blind, he would be eating the hand corn. They were always fun to watch each season but for whatever reason we never could follow one from season to season.

Comment

That deer obviously got out of a high fence pasture. High fences calm deer down and make them tame.

Comment

Stood there the whole time I was working in my feeder pen replacing a feeder timer

Wouldn’t leave until I got outta truck and opened the feed pen gate. Then stood about 30 yards away while we filled feeder

Comment

Working...
                                X