No announcement yet.

Chickens - What do you feed them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Table scraps ? My wife and I were both raised on farms. We ain’t got no table scraps !

Comment

I’ve made mine food plots, let them in the yard to graze, and table scraps. They eat about anything but haven’t got to deep into worms as they can hunt them if they want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Place a few lights out in the yard and bugs will come to them. Let your chickens out in the morning; Chickens like bugs….

Comment

Table scraps, pellets, OLD BREAD, and whatever you throw in the chicken yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Place a few lights out in the yard and bugs will come to them. Let your chickens out in the morning; Chickens like bugs….
            I was thinking about this. Maybe put a light inside the coop but outside where they sleep. May help keep coons away also and they should have a few bugs to eat in the morning.

I saw a video with a guy that made a hanging 5 gallon bucket with holes. He put in a layer of hay and then meat/hay/meat.... Maggots would fall out the holes for his chickens. Not sure if the wife will let me do this though LOL

Comment

When I was young and we had chickens we had to feed them crushed oyster shells, or they laid eggs with out shells. And when they did all the chickens would rush over and gobble the egg up. I know they loved grass hoppers also.

Comment

Start a compost pile, be sure to use a lot of soft fruit scraps like watermelon rind, and you’ll build up a population of black soldier fly maggots, and if the chickens don’t eat them all, they’re dandy fish bait.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                  When I was young and we had chickens we had to feed them crushed oyster shells, or they laid eggs with out shells. And when they did all the chickens would rush over and gobble the egg up. I know they loved grass hoppers also.
                  Had some lay a few eggs with soft shells when we raised them. Started sitting the empty hard egg shells out to dry, then crumbled them up and mixed with their food. Soft shells are a lack of calcium. Oyster shells and egg shells are high in calcium. Egg shells are free. Also, when they would start pecking each other's tail feathers off, I would crunch up some cat food and feed them, as that's a sign of lack of protein. As everyone else has said table scraps, or just about anything. If you want to be entertained for about 10 minutes, throw one earth worm in the middle of them.

Comment

My buddy with chickens comes by and picks up filleted fish carcasses, he says they love them . His live off the land on his ranch

Comment

We fed chicken feed and table scraps. I love chickens but can’t make them work at our current house. They would poop all over my pool deck,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Table scraps. Refrigerator clean out stuff
                        Im against chicken scratch. Its a waste of money real low protein
                        Laying pellets is the best feed
                        Ours get everything from the fridge table scraps

Comment

Don’t give rotten food out of the fridge. But we feed ours bits of everything from the table if it is not large enough to keep for leftovers. Also any cuttings from fruits and vegetables. Apple cores anything like that.

Comment

We spoil our chickens. We feed them quite well. Layer pellets with a little scratch grains thrown in the mix.

We also give them yum yum sticks and get the bags of meal worm & bug mix from the TSC in town.

Table scraps with some canned vegetables added to it. Also feed them grass that I collect up when I mow the lawn. We also have a compost pile in their yard & they pick the bugs out of it pretty regular.

I fed them a wounded copperhead last Sunday. That right there was quite a show. We also keep a pan of grit & oyster shell in their yard that they seem to enjoy.

In return for all this attention they pay us back with plenty of eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've found a source for rice from a test mill and a guy on my lease picks it up close to his house and brings it to me. It's free and they love it. Other than that, they are free range and get a little bit of laying pellets.

Comment

Bags of unused salad

Comment

Working...
                                X