No announcement yet.

Aggie or Red Raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up in Lubbock, attended Tech one summer, and graduated from A&M.

If the kiddo wants to focus on law, medical, or a liberal arts program Tech is your place. If you are looking at science, construction, engineering, or ag - A&M is the school to choose.

I started out not drinking the koolaid at A&M, I went to A&M for an education and not the culture, but after my freshman year I loved the traditions and bleed and continue to bled maroon.

I visited Tech multiple times while going to school (going back home to visit the fam), back when A&M was in the Big 12, and the students were rude and really nasty to Aggie fans. I had my car keyed during a football game, my husband and I brought our young nieces and nephews to games and we were yelled at had items (not just tortillas or lick lids) thrown at us.

At the end of the day, it really depends on what your kid wants out of going to a university; however, unless the kid wants medical, law, or liberal arts Tech would not even enter into my list.

Comment

Tamu if you want them to appreciate the history of their school and have a desire not to fail. The overall school experience is awesome for aggies.

Comment

there is a lot of Aggie Koolaid flowing after the big win.. lets not forget the savior of Johnny Manziel and the consecutive national championships that followed his win over alabama.

in all seriousness, they are both good schools with solid networks, depending on the field of major. both offer a good atmosphere where the area is focused on the university life and students get a great place to thrive. Tech campus is soo much prettier than when i was there and agree that Aggie campus is beautiful, but definitely humid vs Tech.

if your kid likes one vs the other, just make sure they understand the different degree fields and have backup plans in case they decide not to stick with their first choice and that that plan is also well regarded at the school they chose.

my oldest is at Tech and my youngest likes A&M and UNT
        lets not forget it is their experience, not ours. and the public schools in Texas offer a much better value if you are paying for it. my oldest liked UT and Tech, but in the end, she loved the Tech atmosphere and it helped that they gave her a $6k a year presidents scholarship to go there.

good luck and enjoy the visits with your kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
          What are they planning on majoring in or are they undecided?
          Law

Comment

for Law, Tech is likely the better option of those two as they can segue right into the law school. there may be a program to fast track it too.
            although, A&M would definitely be a good attraction to a law school too.

i know for premed kids, they can join a tract at Tech that gains automatic acceptance into med school with no MCAT required. but it is a tough program with very high gpa requirements

Comment

I’ll catch up this evening…. Driving back from Lubbock

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                Law
                UT Austin ranked #16 nationally for their Law School
                TAMU ranked #53
                TTU ranked #102

source: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...rankings/texas

Comment

Answer is 100% dependent on degree they are seeking. For Law I think TTU has upside into the experiences your kid will get while enrolled. Look into the Honors college program if you kid chooses Tech. One of my team members at work has a daughter going to Tech now for Law and seems to really love the program.

Both schools are top 5 in Texas and LSAT requirement are very close between them. I’d let the kid pick which they feel better about and know it will work out just fine at either school.

We had a similar question, choice. My daughter is at Tech now for Chem Eng and loves it, arguably a&m was better for the Chem E but my daughter thought the kids at A&M were snobs. She thought staff and kids were more down to earth at Tech…

Comment

Gig Em

Comment

If your kid had the choice of TAMU or TTU, what would your preference be as a parent? Pros and cons of each school are welcome. We previewed Tech yesterday and are headed to TAMU soon.
                      Longhorn

Comment

My former business partner, a Tech grad, stated that there is no network in the country like the Aggie network.

Comment

A&M but TT is a good school too. Just avoid Baylor & TU

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                            There were a few factors, the largest being she was in the running for a four year full ride. She made the final round and didn’t get that, but she had to commit to attending Tech to advance in that process.

There were some other considerations too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Makes perfect sense. I know my daughter got some pretty good scholarships at Tech

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                              Longhorn
                              Said they wanted an education, not an indoctrination.

Comment

Law
                                So undergrad in (liberal arts?... I'd lean Pre-Law History) and moving on to law school, both would be fine in this case.
                                Last edited by Chad C; 10-12-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X