Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory CWD sampling in Lubbock and surrounding counties

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    Exactly. The last breeder with one didn't get it tested until nine months after it died. And in the mean time shipped deer that were probably infected all over the state.

The south texas white tail breeders sent deer to west texas that infected free range mule deer?
    So how did it end up IN breeding facilities? Double high fence pens.
    Last edited by kyle1974; 10-03-2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
      The south texas white tail breeders sent deer to west texas that infected free range mule deer?

Ok, stretch Armstrong.
      You must be a democrat. Try to focus. I said that the last breeder where cwd was found didn't test one of his deer that died until nine months later.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
        I would agree with this too, initial cases walked in from from New Mexico. But the south Texas (except for Del Rio which appears to have been the result of moving infected carcasses), Central Texas, Coastal Texas, and North Texas (not Panhandle) came from breeders. Once the trace-outs are complete from these facilities and release sites, I imagine the situation will be even worse.
        Yes they sped the spread up. The State still doesn't take CWD serious. They choose to make it all about Breeders. They don't regulate exotics on CWD. CWD positive exotics are moved daily with no regulation. They don't regulate carcass disposal. Keep in mind the CWD prion can not be killed by bleach, fire etc. So if a CWD positive deer goes to processor how do they get it out of the equipment or facility? They don't.

If I go to New Mexico and shoot an elk with CWD and process at home and dispose of carcass at my ranch. Guess what? My ranch now has the CWD prions in the soil. I'm not trying to make light of the breeders part in this as they definitely have one. But for the everyone and tge State to act like the rules put in place now fixes everything is comical. I think it is a bunch of BS. Yes CWD is real and a real problem. Putting the breeders out of business does not solve the issue.

Comment

You must be a democrat. Try to focus. I said that the last breeder where cwd was found didn't test one of his deer that died until nine months later.

ONE deer is spreading it all…From a disease that originated in texas with free range mule deer.

How many deer have you tested from your place for CWD?

Comment

ONE deer is spreading it all…From a disease that originated in texas with free range mule deer.

How many deer have you tested from your place for CWD?
            It didn't originate in Texas as you probably well know. There was a natural progression in West Texas. The rest were spread by deer breeders or other means.

I haven't test any. I don't raise fake deer.

Comment

It didn't originate in Texas as you probably well know. There was a natural progression in West Texas. The rest were spread by deer breeders or other means.

I haven't test any. I don't raise fake deer.

No. You’ve just drawn a line in the sand that’s a little different from other people’s like in the sand.

Funny how the biggest “advocates” of stopping CWD refuse to test deer from their ranches. Maybe you don’t really want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                Yes they sped the spread up. The State still doesn't take CWD serious. They choose to make it all about Breeders. They don't regulate exotics on CWD. CWD positive exotics are moved daily with no regulation. They don't regulate carcass disposal. Keep in mind the CWD prion can not be killed by bleach, fire etc. So if a CWD positive deer goes to processor how do they get it out of the equipment or facility? They don't.

If I go to New Mexico and shoot an elk with CWD and process at home and dispose of carcass at my ranch. Guess what? My ranch now has the CWD prions in the soil. I'm not trying to make light of the breeders part in this as they definitely have one. But for the everyone and tge State to act like the rules put in place now fixes everything is comical. I think it is a bunch of BS. Yes CWD is real and a real problem. Putting the breeders out of business does not solve the issue.
                I mostly agree with all of this, to a degree. Lots of ways CWD can spread. But, large movements of the disease is caused by animal movement. That's predominantly breeders. TTT, DMP, restockings, etc. as well, but breeders by definition are moving more animals around that anyone else. There are no regulations, no precautions, no safeguards, no testing requirements that will stop the disease as long as deer are being moved around. But you don't neccesarily have to shut breeders down completely. If someone wants to breed deer, and subsequently release them on their own adjacent, triple-fenced release site, fine. But they need to stop all animal movement. Carcass movement will always be an issue simply because many are too lazy to do what needs to be done with carcasses. Regulations are in place to limit infected carcasses, both within Texas and other states, but for that to work, hunters need to actually follow the regs. While many responsible folks will, many, many won't.

Comment

No. You’ve just drawn a line in the sand that’s a little different from other people’s like in the sand.

Funny how the biggest “advocates” of stopping CWD refuse to test deer from their ranches. Maybe you don’t really want to know.
                  I've tested every single deer I've kill from my property and others (somewhere around 100ish) since the early 2000's.

Comment

Wouldn't bother me. The Texas Animal Health Commission pays $3000 for every deer they euthanize.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                      I mostly agree with all of this, to a degree. Lots of ways CWD can spread. But, large movements of the disease is caused by animal movement. That's predominantly breeders. TTT, DMP, restockings, etc. as well, but breeders by definition are moving more animals around that anyone else. There are no regulations, no precautions, no safeguards, no testing requirements that will stop the disease as long as deer are being moved around. But you don't neccesarily have to shut breeders down completely. If someone wants to breed deer, and subsequently release them on their own adjacent, triple-fenced release site, fine. But they need to stop all animal movement. Carcass movement will always be an issue simply because many are too lazy to do what needs to be done with carcasses. Regulations are in place to limit infected carcasses, both within Texas and other states, but for that to work, hunters need to actually follow the regs. While many responsible folks will, many, many won't.
                      Again exotics are a real issue that has zero cwd oversight. I cod ship any number of species tomorrow with zero testing. I shoot 1 to 2 elk a year in New Mexico. Never had to test there or here. State doesn't seem to care about them. Let's call it as it is. Political. You have two sides that are sticking to their wallets which makes it Political.

Comment

the TAHC does regulate the movement of exotics. But, they have no teeth to enforce anything. I see a lot of guys trapping and selling axis all over the state illegally.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                          the TAHC does regulate the movement of exotics. But, they have no teeth to enforce anything. I see a lot of guys trapping and selling axis all over the state illegally.
                          True. I should have been more detailed. If CWD was a real concern for the State they would inforce the laws. As it is they don't.

Comment

True. I should have been more detailed. If CWD was a real concern for the State they would inforce the laws. As it is they don't.
                            Big outfits have the $$$ to buy influence.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                              Big outfits have the $$$ to buy influence.
                              So do breeders. So it seems more of an attack on the breeders vs general game ranch.

Comment

So do breeders. So it seems more of an attack on the breeders vs general game ranch.
                                Breeders are the ones trucking CWD infected animals across the state.

Comment

Working...
                                X