Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Tracking dog needed-Doss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking dog needed-Doss

I tried calling Fred Reyna out of Fredericksburg, left message. My niece shot her first archery deer earlier this morning. Arrow fell out about 30 yards into the track, and appears that the wound clotted. Decent blood trail to arrow, good blood on arrow with about 8-10” of penetration. Is there anyone in the area available with an experienced dog? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred responded, he no longer has a dog.

Comment

Comment

So no blood on trail after the arrow?

How did the dear react on impact?

Where was the hunter aiming?

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
          So no blood on trail after the arrow?

How did the dear react on impact?

Where was the hunter aiming?

Blood stopped after arrow. She’s not sure if he hunched up or kicked or anything, she said he just ran. He was 25 yards broadside, and she was aiming right behind shoulder.

Comment

That’s a lot of blood on the arrow for it to just stop. Circle the spot of last blood. Possible he made a hard turn and they overlooked the next spot.

Comment

Sometimes they circle and head back in the direction they came in from if the wound is not immediately mortal. Probably a liver hit. Most likely fatal but the deer can travel a long ways before laying down somewhere to die. Look under every bush. They usually seek cover to lay down.
              Last edited by muzzlebrake; 10-02-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Or water, if there is a stock pond near check it also

Comment

6.5 Shooter was offering tracking services and this morning he is around Hondo. You might want to reach out to him.

Comment

Look at tracking dog list.

Comment

I think the call of Liver hit might be right, should be a big slit with hat broadhead to totally stop but without the arrow still sticking through it it will bleed less to the outside. I think a dog would make short work of that but there will be blood starting back up at some point just where and finding it.

Wish I still had a tracking dog and was close enough to help.

Sone good suggestions so far, I would wait at least an hour to take up the track again though but think within that time there will be a dead deer unless it was gut hit which I do not see indication of that on the arrow.

I had one that was liver hit that went about 300 yards with blood drop 8 to 10 feet apart until 200 yards than picked up more and more for the last 50 yards.

Good luck and stay with it, wish I was there to help.

Comment

In for results. Good luck!

Comment

Looks like some good blood on the arrow. Is that a mechanical broadhead?

I am going to bet there is more blood, just look harder. Looks like you have soft dirt, follow the tracks of the deer, not just the blood.

What I do, is mark the last spot of blood with some kind of marker. I carry colored tape/ribbon.

If you loose the tracks, walk in circles around the last drop of blood. I like to start with a circle about 10 to 15 ft. from the last spot of blood. Then keep doing that till I find something.

Dead deer, basically a deer, that is getting very little blood/oxygen to the brain. Will typically run in a mostly straight line. They are basically blind and not fully aware of their surroundings. They will run straight into and through thick brush, cactus, bushes. Or just flat into a tree. I have seen them go straight through cedar trees, that you would not think they could. So basically if the blood trail stops and some brush or bush, ECT., don't think the deer went around it. Force your way into whatever and look for blood as you get into the bush.

Then there are times when they run flat into a tree or deflect off of a tree, that will cause them to change directions, sometimes they may make a 180 degree direction change.

Look for tracks where one or move hooves have obviously been slipping and sliding. Normal deer don't slip or slide very often, unless, it's truly a slick surface. But repeated tracks where a hoof has slid, is a sign of a deer that is not really alert or not getting blood to the brain.

That's some of what I can offer. From the looks of that place, you may need to get down on your hands and knees and crawl to find blood. That stuff can easily hide blood. I would bet there is blood somewhere, you just have not found it.

Good luck.

Comment

That looks like good blood on that arrow. That deer has to be layed up somewhere. Give it time and try to search again after lunch. Can’t be far.

Comment

Hope you are able to recover the young lady's first archery deer

Comment

Working...
                              X