No announcement yet.

Spikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own a high fence ranch and I don't shoot spikes at 1.5. I don't start culling deer based on score until at least 3 years old. At that point its based on more on the size of their frame than the number of their points. I'll keep a big framed 8 that is 3 over a basket 9 or 10 with short beams and small spread.
    Last edited by JBJTX81; 09-24-2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Kind of excited about this one. Should be easy to track year to year. Will update in 2027.

Comment

That would be fun to track over the years^^^

Comment

I shoot everyone I see , no estimating wether it’s 13” or not

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            From actual experience, all I can tell you is that information is wrong. I have seen 4 and 5 year old native deer that have protein any time they want it, dwarfed by 2 year old deer with good genetics. If you don't have good genetics you will never have high end deer. If all it took was feed there would be no scientific breeders, everyone would just dump out a bunch of protein and have 200 inch deer, but that doesn't happen.

No matter how much you feed a midget, he won't turn into Shaq
            Lol.... que El Gato and his southern Louisiana herd. He had absolute junk and has turned his native herd into giants. There's not a native 200 inch deer within 200 miles of that man but he's done it with nutrition and age. Your thesis is about as wrong as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
              Wow, I’d be interested in talking to all the breeders you’ve chatted with. Sounds like they haven’t been in for 8 years+
              Man that's no lie.

Comment

Culling for spokes if for those HIGHLY managed places that are trying to grow consistent B&C class deer.

VERY few places are actually setup, much less, managed correctly to do this.

Genetics is important, but is not at the top of the list of concerns for MOST places.

Comment

Working...
                X