Did MLD ruin opening day in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
    Well I don't sell hunts so and would like them killed prior to the rut. Luke to tell me how to do that in less than 30 days?
    kill em in February or March.

Comment

Groveton area sure has its fair share of MLD properties. I hear minimum of 15 shotes opening day every year. Then you get the karens who think they are saving deers life by target practice during prime time mornings and evenings, mostly on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
        He said prior to the rut. Which is the original goal.

Comment

I have the countdown on the dry erase board at work. Of course....it's the bow opener.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Bow season starts a month earlier. Always has.
            Yep. Always been a bowhunter since age of 12 so nothing is different. I just wish they would move opening day in east Texas for the land cannons to mid November so fewer older bucks were killed during the rut.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
              It is not about me, how is it about me that now that for the most part schools and communities dont celebrate opening day as they once did, its because there is not an opening day as there once was. Many of you are arguing that you individually still do things yea so do I, thats not my point. My point is as a whole it is not the same, as a community. Our radio station used to play 30 point buck all day long friday before season, now they may only do it one time if that. There would be excitement throughout town.

PS yes I am still as excited for Christmas as I was as a kid, and i never did much celebrating for my birthday to begin with.
              I agree that MLD may be a factor but not the factor.

I think the PC world we live in has done more to damage that than MLD will ever do. During the times you are talking about, when you shot a deer opening morning you threw it in the back of your truck where everyone could see and drove around town so the whole world knew. That included stops at the feed store, grocery store, bank, etc., again so everyone could see. How many threads on here per year complain about somebody doing that now and ruining the perception of hunters, not showing respect to the animal, etc. Or how many threads are there per year on not putting up a picture with a deer's tongue hanging out because of perception and "respect to the animal." These contribute a heck of a lot more than MLD.

As others have stated scoring deer has hurt as well. Back in the times your are talking about all that was said was number of points and/or width when you put one down. That was all that was needed to make everyone envious of your kill. Now it is he was only 139" and just shy of 140" but if he would have made it to 6 instead of 5 he would have been 150". I'm not saying this is a bad thing, especially from a management side but the intense management and scrutiny of every deer takes away from the just be excited to hunt mentality. I know for us this mentality has also created more work. Now instead of between hunts getting to relax, take a nap, shoot the ****, etc. it is filling protein feeders, looking at TC pics and doing other work. There is definitely less free time in camp which takes away from the experience.

And as others have stated, technology has hurt. When you were a kid riding to the lease I guarantee you were staring out the window dreaming of the next morning. Mainly because there wasn't anything else to do. Now kids are on their phones watching Tik Tok or youtube so the experience isn't the same. Even at the lease it has changed. How many leases have satellite tv now vs back then not having a tv or having a little black and white w/ rabbit ears. And the kids still have their **** phones. Even if the adults still play dominoes the kids don't sit around and watch.

You are right it has definitely changed and changed for the worse. But there are other bigger factors for the change then MLD, bow season, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                Yep. Always been a bowhunter since age of 12 so nothing is different. I just wish they would move opening day in east Texas for the land cannons to mid November so fewer older bucks were killed during the rut.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                I wish they'd do away with any kind of special archery season to stop more mature deer from being wounded and never recovered before the rest of us have a chance to get out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  I wish they'd do away with any kind of special archery season to stop more mature deer from being wounded and never recovered before the rest of us have a chance to get out there.
                  Yep…

Comment

Originally posted by tminc View Post
                    Its total crap I think,they should at least let us bow hunters have a season to ourselves.thats why they call it BOW season.Not MLD too,(for the #^$%%@es that cant figure out how to draw a bow).what's a week or two anyway?
                    Why should we get a season to ourselves? Don't get me wrong, I like having the woods to myself too. But the gun hunters aren't screaming to get the bow guys out of the woods during general season and let them have it to themselves.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      He said prior to the rut. Which is the original goal.
                      February and March are prior to the rut.
                      Kill em in spring, they won't be there during rut.
                      Put less stress on browse also.

Comment

February and March are prior to the rut.
                        That’s extremely ignorant. Following year rut defeats the purpose.

Knock down your culls. Get mouths off the feed before winter with culls and does.

I can agree with the lowering the numbers by shooting assumed bred does post rut as well. 2 deer 1 shot.

Moral of the story, it’s legal. Why some of y’all care what others do so much is mind blowing.

Don’t fight against other legal hunting. Be supportive or we will all fall.

Comment

Obviously you are not well versed on MLD, as most who bad-mouth it aren't. No biggie. Season ends the last day of February. Never March. We RARELY hunt in February. Usually cut it off early-mid January. By February a lot of bucks have shed, and too many folks will shoot them thinking they are a doe. At least in our area. I'm certainly not gonna tell other folks when I think they should kill all their deer. I'm only concerned with our place.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            That’s extremely ignorant. Following year rut defeats the purpose.

Knock down your culls. Get mouths off the feed before winter with culls and does.

I can agree with the lowering the numbers by shooting assumed bred does post rut as well. 2 deer 1 shot.

Moral of the story, it’s legal. Why some of y’all care what others do so much is mind blowing.

Don’t fight against other legal hunting. Be supportive or we will all fall.
                            I'm not fight against anything. Someone asked and I replied.

I guess you support sending 3 ballots to every house in the country? Legal voting.

It's always the same story: the people that are in the now, argue not to fight the legal even if more thought and consideration should have been before the situation came about.

Do you not think that some one slinking around in the woods, fully camouflaged bow hunting, is dangerous when neophyte hunters are across the fence or even in same fence?

Would you want dear landowner running his cattle during your hunt? or some jackwad running up and down the road with his/her atv?

Bow hunting should be a quiet, peaceful event. Can't be with guns popping across the fence.

You can have last word. It's just different points of view. I quit bowhunting when this crap came about. Haven't bought but one archery stamp since.

I'm not fighting, just stating my point of view.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chance Love;15827489]Obviously you are not well versed on MLD, as most who bad-mouth it aren't. No biggie. Season ends the last day of February. Never March. We RARELY hunt in February. Usually cut it off early-mid January. By February a lot of bucks have shed, and too many folks will shoot them thinking they are a doe. At least in our area. I'm certainly not gonna tell other folks when I think they should kill all their deer. I'm only concerned with our place.[/QUOTEt]

It could have been if someone would have thought about the invasion to bow hunting.
                              What? great white hunters with 12 power scopes can't tell a buck from a doe?

Comment

I'm not fight against anything. Someone asked and I replied.

I guess you support sending 3 ballots to every house in the country? Legal voting.

It's always the same story: the people that are in the now, argue not to fight the legal even if more thought and consideration should have been before the situation came about.

Do you not think that some one slinking around in the woods, fully camouflaged bow hunting, is dangerous when neophyte hunters are across the fence or even in same fence?

Would you want dear landowner running his cattle during your hunt? or some jackwad running up and down the road with his/her atv?

Bow hunting should be a quiet, peaceful event. Can't be with guns popping across the fence.

You can have last word. It's just different points of view. I quit bowhunting when this crap came about. Haven't bought but one archery stamp since.

I'm not fighting, just stating my point of view.
                                I do both. I fully support rifle hunting on MLD ranches from opener of archery. I bow hunt as well. Hogs and varmints get shot all year.

There are also a LOT of hunters using suppressors. My neighbors never hear my rifles go off.

MLD is a great management tool. Mind blowing that folks argue against that. And from day 1 of joining this place I have spoke out against the elitist attitude that archers have and will continue to do so. I’m a hunter. I’m not a bow hunter or a rifle hunter. I’m a hunter. To think one is better than the other is downright wrong. Again, stick together to succeed or create division and fail.

Remember. Those gun shots across the fence aren’t always at deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X