Missouri Deer Hunting ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missouri Deer Hunting ???

So I have a stepbrother that married into a billionaire family…..like real billionaires. They own many 10s of thousands of acres all over the Midwest, Colorado, and New Mexico. They also do not hunt.

Last spring my brother asked about bringing his boy down and shooting a pig or 2. They ended up killing a ton and now his boy has expressed some interest in hunting.

Fast forward to last week and he called me. His in laws told him if they wanted to deer hunt they/we could use their 3000ac farm in NW Missouri. It’s corn and is directly on the bank of the Missouri River. As far as they know it hasn’t been hunted in 40yrs. They rent out the farming.

It’s about 25 miles SE of Nebraska, and about 50 south of Iowa……obviously directly across the river from Kansas. Here is my dilemma.

It’s 11 hours from my house. I don’t hunt for the enjoyment of hunting. If I drive that far I want to know I have a reasonable chance of success. I’ve never seen the ground and no one in his family hardly knows what a deer looks like, much less be able to tell you about what is there. It’s $250 for a tag, nowhere to stay within an hour drive, and I would end up using a week of time I could spend here where I know I can kill something every sit if I want to.

Anyone hunt this area? It’s OTC for NR so I would think there isn’t the same quality as Kansas or Iowa. Not sure I want to put the effort into it to go in blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on what you’re saying…I would think your odds of success are high.

It would be worth the drive/expense of the tag for me.

Comment

Let me be the first (of many) to suggest that I check it out for you and if it’s good you can hunt it next year. How bout dat ?

Comment

You need to go wow what an amazing opportunity should be some incredible deer hunting. I grew up in northern Missouri east of there but hunted the river bottoms near where you are talking. The river bottoms hold some studs and the locals don’t generally talk much about them.

Comment

Are you trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
            Are you trolling?

Not at all. Same reason I don’t go to CO on an OTC elk hunt. I’m not driving that far and doing that much work when you have a 10-15% chance of killing something.

Comment

If you're talking killing a whitetail deer I'd say your odds are closer to 150% success. Fair to great odds at a trophy too. But since you don't hunt for the experience that won't matter, right? Haha

Comment

The potential of what you could kill in the farm country of the Midwest……will far outweigh what you “know” you can kill in Red River County…give it a shot

Comment

Holy cow man
                  You talk about an opportunity of a lifetime as it relates to deer hunting!!

Find the time and go , don’t waste this opportunity
                  Missouri is a beautiful change of scenery and some serious studs walking around up there.

If it hasn’t been hunted you have great odds especially if you give yourself appropriate time when you go. Take the first day or two to just get the lay of the land and watch and then I’m guessing you could move in and get on a good one.
                  Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ll be up in northwest Missouri hunting our property for a week and half in November. I’d be more than happy to check it out for you while I’m there.

Sounds like that property is very close to us.

Comment

I'll go with you and split the gas. Go for sure.

Comment

This has to be a serious troll

Comment

The hunt and experience is always better then the kill. I would go in a heartbeat.

Comment

I'll pay for your gas and tags if you take me with you . I personally think it would be foolish to pass up that opportunity.

Comment

It would be foolish not to take this first
                              Opportunity. This will lead to more ...

Comment

Working...
                              X