Total Knee Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
    2 yrs out on my replacements. My advice, Stay off the opioids as much as possible. They hinder healing! All the above + Keep up with the exercises even after PT. You will see a difference later on.
    Good Advice. Doctors are all about Pain Management. Pain meds mess with my Gut if ya know what I mean. Not a problem if ya like countering with high doses of Laxatives but not me.

Comment

Definitely not looking forward to this......in my future

Comment

Ok physical therapist just left. She tried to make a pretzel out of me. I did say a few words & she said let it out if needed. She got me to 60 degrees, but I saw stars & stripes. I will do this every 2 hrs while awake. I do have the ice pump thing. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
          Good Advice. Doctors are all about Pain Management. Pain meds mess with my Gut if ya know what I mean. Not a problem if ya like countering with high doses of Laxatives but not me.
          My surgeon would not prescribe heavy duty opioids. Tylenol/codein was all he would prescribe. Said "you will thank me later". 2 days later I was walking with a cane. Went back to work in 6 weeks. Wanted to go back in 5 but our medical dept said wait.

Comment

Had my right knee done yesterday. Nerve block on knee didn't work so some pretty intense pain after the spinal wore off until they gave me a shot of something. Came home today. I've had 6 scopes (3 on each knee) so I know the value of PT. I want to get past this one so I can get my left knee done before the end of the year.

Comment

My wife is 9 weeks post op today therapist cut her loose last week. She’s MUCH better now than pre-op. Pretty much back to normal. Little swelling n soreness some evenings if she over does it during the day.
              Good luck Ed‼️

Comment

Doing better. Knee is still swollen. Walking with a cane. My range of motion is near 120 degrees. Doctor wants 128 by next Friday. If I don’t get there is is talking about a forced manipulation while under anesthesia. Not wanting to go this route.

Comment

There is a machine that they can strap your leg into that will straighten and bend your knee for you. BE VERY CAREFUL if you get put on one of these. Make sure you are wearing boxer briefs to keep your boys corralled, NOT boxers and NOT tighty whities. The pain of having one of your boys end up laying on the track for this machine for outweigh the pain from the surgery!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                    Doing better. Knee is still swollen. Walking with a cane. My range of motion is near 120 degrees. Doctor wants 128 by next Friday. If I don’t get there is is talking about a forced manipulation while under anesthesia. Not wanting to go this route.

How’s that range of motion coming? PT forced mine around 3 degrees yesterday by pushing down on it but I’m not as far along in the process as you are.

Comment

getting it to straighten out is actually pretty simple as soon as the incision heals up. fill the bath tub up with pretty hot water and soak it for a while. Put something under your heal not so tall it pushes you knee out of the water and slowly start to push down on the knee. this worked pretty well for me and it was much less painful than the foam block the therapist uses

Comment

Glad all went well. Ice and PT, emphasis on PT! Prayers up for recovery brother.

Comment

Do the PT it’s important
                          I have had both knees done!!!

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by JerryC View Post
                            Yes do your physical therapy. You need to regain flexibility. It gets better in a few weeks. I’ve had three replacements.
                            Three ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rustled Again View Post
                              They make an ice bath pump that wraps around the knee. Really helped me get through the initial pain.
                              I used one of these pumps recovering from surgery for a torn meniscus. You’re right, it was definitely a lifesaver. You fill an ice-chest-like hopper with ice and water and it lasts for 24 hours before the ice needs to be replaced. And when you’ve had knee surgery, the last thing you want to have to do is get up and down every hour to replace your ice.

While I’ve never had a knee replaced, I hear the first six weeks afterward are h**l and that strict adherence to physical therapy is important. That said, every single person I’ve talked to who’s had a knee (or two) replaced has been glad they’ve done it. More often than not, many say they wished they’d done it sooner.

Best of luck to you on your convalescence and recovery, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                                I would definitely not do manipulation under anesthesia if you are at 120 degrees. I’ve never seen this happen unless a patient was severely limited with range of motion. 120 degrees is total sufficient to have a normal functional knee.

Comment

Working...
                                X