No announcement yet.

Getting Meat Back from Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m sure you can find some meat packing boxes in ID. Since you plan on taking to processor, have them freeze it, fill boxes to 49lbs, check on with your flight. Done this numerous times from AK and here in lower 48.

This is the exact reason I prefer to drive everywhere unless I’m on a time crunch because of work.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      I hope you get it figured out. This is the exact reason Im driving solo to Montana and back. Just to be able to bring the meat home should I be successful.
      Im leaving Friday for Colorado to Elk hunt. 20.5 hrs solo.
      Once I get out of Texas I enjoy the drive. Unfortunately that first 12 hours sucks..

Comment

Pay Speck1 $700 and send him with a few coolers when he heads up! TBH express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sounds like you are flying for sure. So ship the meat back. That is our plan. Backup plan is buy coolers and rent a U-Haul and eat my plane ticket.

Flying is just about impossible with meat. Not to mention any antlers.

Comment

If you kill near the end of your hunt, it may be hard to find a processor that can get your meat cut and frozen that fast. Most good processor will be busy. Getting your meat moved to the front of the line may cost extra. Then getting it frozen solid will take time also.

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
              Plane tickets are already purchased.

You're not forced to use em for the return trip

Comment

My elk, in my avatar fit in a 150 qt cooler processed. It was processed and frozen. No Ice fit in the cooler, It was completely full with meat. This was not a problem for me because it was November and still frozen solid when I got home driving. Just gives you a ideal how much meat you would have.

Comment

Driving is the only good option. You can get refunds on your plane tickets, or at least credit toward your next flight.

Big coolers and dry ice. Enjoy the road trip, we live in beautiful country up here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                    Im leaving Friday for Colorado to Elk hunt. 20.5 hrs solo.
                    Once I get out of Texas I enjoy the drive. Unfortunately that first 12 hours sucks..
                    Aint that the truth. My drive is 24-25 hrs. Half the time is just getting through Texas! I really enjoyed driving through New Mexico and Wyoming the last time I made the trip.

Comment

Be prepared to NOT be able to rent a vehicle one way. Since the pandemic, and people not traveling, rental places sold off their vehicles to keep profit margins up. Now, with the chip shortage, and people traveling again, they don't have the rental cars to allow one-way trips.
                      Consider driving there or paying for meat shipping back..

Comment

I think I used DHL to ship 4 caribou, and some salmon back from anchorage Alaska
                        Frozen air freight

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                          Pay Speck1 $700 and send him with a few coolers when he heads up! TBH express

I thought about that but we are gonna be way down south on the Utah line. If it was on the way home I would haul it.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. What do y’all think shipping all that meat will run?

Comment

I'd call around and get some estimates. May be cheaper to rent a lil uhaul or may be cheaper to ship it

Comment

500 lbs of frozen meat and 2 capes and horns was $900 from Alaska, then you got to pickup from airport

Comment

Working...
                                X