Opening day dove report thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
    Bloody Mary…. Three waters and a Gatorade went down before that.

When are you going? I was expecting a Smart opener update by now.

Won't be going until the 2nd and 3rd weekend. Sucks to sit this one out but this final stage of the house trim work calls.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
      The result of my efforts for the day.
      Holy crap! You picked the bird! Did you learn to hunt from my dad?!! You shoot a dove and on his place and breast it out you won’t be hunting on his place anymore. He wants to see 15 breasts, hearts, gizzards and sets of legs.

Comment

I went back out this afternoon without my gun. I took Zach and his 5 month old Pudelpointer pup, Millie. About 30 seconds after we got sat down under a mesquite, a dove flew in to the decoys. Zach killed it. He took Millie out, and she found it and picked it up and brought it back to the chairs. Birds were slow this evening. He killed 5. Millie went and got all of them and brought them back, and then just sat or laid down waiting on the next one. Every time she heard a gunshot in the distance, she'd jump up and start to go toward the sound. She seemed to know that a gunshot = a bird. I think she's gonna make a great bird dog. You can train obedience and various commands and skills, but you can't teach instinct. She seems to have it.

Millie's first bird.

Zach is a proud dad.

Comment

We hammered them this evening. Limits were easily acquired. Way more than the morning.

Comment

6 of us hunted just outside of Loop 410 and Old Pearsall road in San Antonio this evening.

Historically we would have had easy limits. But ended the day with only 30 birds total for the six of us. Hope things improve or its going to be a tough season.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Where are the pics ol man?! Nice hunt!
              Stupid is, stupid does. GW hit us early, couldn’t find my license….finally did, but it got me all rattled and out of sorts. I was cleaning birds when taking pics crossed my mind. We’ll be back tomorrow. I “heard” the evening hunt wasn’t as crazy as the morning, which is odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                It's a 1895 Parker DH. Damascus barrels, 2 1/2" chambers, cyl/cyl, double trigger.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
                I like it!!!! I like it alot!!!!
                Beautiful gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Birds are sparse. My shooting is "sparser" . [emoji1]

But I got a couple so far.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
                  I'm liking that twice barrel scatter gun you got there Shane

Comment

Managed to get out of football practice and get out near Waco for about 45 minutes yesterday evening. Was not in the best spot. I went 2 for 2 and my new pup got her first two retrieves. Saw some more flying, have some hope for this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                      First Opening Day of dove season I am missing in a LONG time. Y'all give em hell! Remember, that third shot is probably not going to connect but it feels good to try.
                      I have a fair chance at knocking them down with the 3rd one but they always fall so stinking far away and 10 more birds fly over my head while I’m looking for that one.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Back at it this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice to see some of yall doing pretty well!

Good luck Jerp and anyone else hunting this morning!

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Comment

Shot 5 yesterday evening for supper and left. Didn't want to disturb the place too much. Momma and the boy are headed up for the weekend. In western Young county. Just hunting over a pond. Not hearing much shooting or seeing any concentrated amount of birds. Reports I got from feed store yesterday was not many birds being reported .

Comment

Took both morning and evening to get our 3 man limit north of Brookshire.

Comment

Working...
                                X