post Hurricane Ida pictures from Port Fourchon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seatruckn View Post
    I think the surge on Ida wasn’t much more than 8-10’ in Fourchon. I had a Buddy sending pics as the eye passed over them. Water was a few feet deep on the docks. It wasn’t up to the rooftops like it was in Holly and Crystal.
    Good info, they were predicting 15' and I guess it was not that high, the videos I have seen might have had 4-5' of water, under the cabins that had videos still working.

Comment

Also if you look at the boats scattered in the fields they all draft under10’. My buddy’s was drafting 13’ and they remained in the channel for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        This may very well come off wrong but can anyone explain the "lack of expected damage."

Is it the newly updated construction protocols? Was the storm surge not what they expected?

Any input would be appreciated for understanding.
        Your reply and query are not callous at all. Several videos were posted of camps in Fourchon. Reports of winds from 150-160+ mph. No telling of the actual tidal surge and wave heights. Was landfall made during high tide or low tide ? Were the waves 5 foot, 10 foot, 15+ ???? It may be a bit premature to speculate until the objective findings and reports are published by those who study this subject matter.

What I can opine based on prior Hurricane experiences .... the engineering & architectural design of those Fourchon camps and roofs passed a serious test from Mother Nature with flying colors. Additionally, sometimes you gotta thank the Man upstairs as I believe in miracles. Based on what was being reported by meteorologists and shown in the hurricane videos, most of those camps should not be standing, especially the roofs, windows, and exterior paneling.

Kinda like the analogy when an F5 tornado destroys everything in it's path, and a 10' x 10' wooden chicken coup is still standing with no visible damages. That's my best guess as sometimes things can't be explained.

these videos are crazy - $64,000 question.... Did the water and tidal surge get higher than these images ?? FYI - Black Ice knows the 2 owners of this camp. 1 guy owns a metal building company, and the other owns a construction company.

https://www.wkrg.com/weather/hurrica...till-standing/

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IUXtYgfHYo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IUXtYgfHYo[/ame]

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 08-31-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          why would you post something so stupid ?

thousands of people have lost their homes, cars, and possibly jobs and you go 1000% Full IDIOT mode
          He just wants to make sure everyone knows that he is a moronic jackwagon...I'm sure he was of the opinion that Harvey and Laura were duds as well, but never left his couch to go help and see with his own eyes. Ignore the idiot

Comment

Glad ya'll fared well Blake! Praying for ya'll down there. Been wondering how the Venice/Buras area fared but haven't heard much from that area yet.

Hang in there!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
              Glad ya'll fared well Blake! Praying for ya'll down there. Been wondering how the Venice/Buras area fared but haven't heard much from that area yet.

Hang in there!!!

Looks like the Venice Marina did pretty well considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                I saw a documentary on the building homes on the Florida coast. They were showing the xtra stuff they do now such as hurricane ties, roof are built with multiple angles to deflect the wind, hurricane proof windows, and on and on. They showed the hurricane damage after their last hurricane and houses built with the new standards were still standing while one next door was wiped out as it was older construction.
                It was pretty interesting.
                I've witnessed a bunch of impact and pressure testing of windows, doors, and shingles. The windows are most impressive. Flying pieces and parts of buildings and homes are not desired. We manufacture products to Florida Miami Dade building codes. Very rigid standards.

Comment

Great news so many camps survived!

Comment

One of those homes on Fourchon used to belong to my Wife’ Aunt & Uncle. They sold it about three years ago and bought a home in Orange Beach. I will send them pics to see exactly where they were at. I only visited the place one time and the fishing was fantastic down there.

Comment

why would you post something so stupid ?

thousands of people have lost their homes, cars, and possibly jobs and you go 1000% Full IDIOT mode
                      CB, hard to do, but just try to ignore a post like that.

Thanks for your reports and pics letting us know the damage.

Comment

Scab...

Comment

My son Josh (TBher ChewJr) is there with CenterPoint energy out of Humble, TX. He's a lineman. Arrived yesterday and working 16's to restore power.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                            I don't know about Crystal beach but holly beach was nothing but junk, shacks and trailers.
                            The equivalent would have actually been Gilchrist to Holly beach. Which many think is crystal beach, but it is actually between crystal and high island. Rollover pass area.

Both old, fish camp type construction. The worst for a hurricane.

The problem with the new building codes is price. Many of those fish camps really lasted a long time before they met their end.
                            Last edited by Lungbustr; 08-31-2021, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Your reply and query are not callous at all. Several videos were posted of camps in Fourchon. Reports of winds from 150-160+ mph. No telling of the actual tidal surge and wave heights. Was landfall made during high tide or low tide ? Were the waves 5 foot, 10 foot, 15+ ???? It may be a bit premature to speculate until the objective findings and reports are published by those who study this subject matter.

What I can opine based on prior Hurricane experiences .... the engineering & architectural design of those Fourchon camps and roofs passed a serious test from Mother Nature with flying colors. Additionally, sometimes you gotta thank the Man upstairs as I believe in miracles. Based on what was being reported by meteorologists and shown in the hurricane videos, most of those camps should not be standing, especially the roofs, windows, and exterior paneling.

Kinda like the analogy when an F5 tornado destroys everything in it's path, and a 10' x 10' wooden chicken coup is still standing with no visible damages. That's my best guess as sometimes things can't be explained.

these videos are crazy - $64,000 question.... Did the water and tidal surge get higher than these images ?? FYI - Black Ice knows the 2 owners of this camp. 1 guy owns a metal building company, and the other owns a construction company.

PORT FOURCHON, La. (KLFY) — Hurricane Ida made landfall at 11:55 a.m. Sunday in Port Fourchon as a Category 4 storm. Video submitted by Jeremy DiBenedetto shows the effects of the storm as it…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IUXtYgfHYo

Yeah that video is crazy. Jermey is a buddy of mine from Hammond and when he told me his camp was destroyed I had no idea it was this camp.

He’s a fireman and a great guy who has probably been helping people the last few days.

Trees went into his neighbors house for sure and maybe his but he was stuck at the fire station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                                My son Josh (TBher ChewJr) is there with CenterPoint energy out of Humble, TX. He's a lineman. Arrived yesterday and working 16's to restore power.
                                I’m sending some money to help those folks, but your son Josh is really doing what those folks need right now. God bless him, when you talk to him tell him lots of us on TBH wish him work safety and appreciate the tough job he is doing for those good people.

Comment

Working...
                                X