No announcement yet.

Hogs mixed feelings on poison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard that people that poison hogs are just like the "Hunters" on tv that gut shoot deer on video and yell GREAT SHOT, then go out and find it the next day
    Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 08-27-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

The only thing you can poison hogs with legally is lead.

Most hogs will not willingly or knowingly eat warfarin. Everything else will create a visit from the game wardens.

Comment

I enjoy having hogs around to hunt and eat. I do understand the frustration for some, too. Hogs have not caused me any financial harm but I have hit plenty of deer in vehicles that have cost me thousands.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with poisoning any animal without knowing the ripple effects of it and it would have to be legal.

Comment

I myself enjoy having huntable numbers only. I trapped early in the year and got them under control. My deer have no problem coexisting with manageable numbers. Plus I would rather eat the pork than the deer and always make a lot of sausage with the pigs. Now a big boar, buzzard food.

Comment

Old sporting clays do the trick

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              If I never see another hog, I’m good. I hate them….BUT I’m not on the pro poison stance… yet
              I am in this camp, other than, if there was a poison passed to be legal, I would use it. I just wouldn't do it illegally.

Comment

Guess a few is okay(maybe) but really don’t care for them at all. Shoot all I can, trap a bunch and never feed them. Zero value to me. Same category as rats and fire ants IMO. Another invasive species that should be eradicated if possible.

Comment

I want a place to kill hogs in the off-season and a place to deer hunt absent of hogs.....thats what I'd like...

Comment

We have them in good numbers. I could kill one every trip to the ranch if I carried a rifle.
                    Rather hunt them than deer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

We have them and I like hunting them. I also like eating them. My freezer stays full.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                        No they have not. It is illegal. The makers took it off the market. Read the posted article above.
                        Richard Poche’s group added a fat-soluble tracer to the poisoned food that colored the dead animal’s innards bright blue to alert hunters that the hog had ingested the poison (and to avoid eating the meat). Over an eight-week period, Poche reported, warfarin bait killed about three dozen hogs and no other animals. He also noted that when the researchers searched the area, they found no carcasses of other animals that had been inadvertently poisoned. The EPA authorized its use, and in February 2017 Texas became the first state to allow commercial use of warfarin against feral hogs.

Comment

The animals are so destructive that they cost the United States billions every year, but actually doing something about it isn’t so simple.

Last edited by wytex; 08-31-2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                            Richard Poche’s group added a fat-soluble tracer to the poisoned food that colored the dead animal’s innards bright blue to alert hunters that the hog had ingested the poison (and to avoid eating the meat). Over an eight-week period, Poche reported, warfarin bait killed about three dozen hogs and no other animals. He also noted that when the researchers searched the area, they found no carcasses of other animals that had been inadvertently poisoned. The EPA authorized its use, and in February 2017 Texas became the first state to allow commercial use of warfarin against feral hogs.
                            And due to the Texas Hog Hunters Association and the negative press they created with it, the company pulled their product. You cannot get it.

Comment

If I knew my neighbors were poisoning pigs, every single dead carcass I found on my place would be getting dropped off on their front lawn. If you’re gonna make a mess, you better be willing to clean it up.

Comment

trapping in large pen traps is the most efficient way of getting rid of them. the small box traps don't catch enough and educates the rest of them. I mostly have single boars now and very few sounders.

Comment

Working...
                                X