Hogs mixed feelings on poison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    The "poison" is Warfarin, an anti-coagulant. Hogs are particularly sensitive to it, so it's very unlikely that anything eating one that has ingested it would die or even get sick. This has been extensively studied, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife has signed off on it.
    Aka rat poison or for humans blood thinner. I didn't know that stuff worked on hogs. Good info

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
      The "poison" is Warfarin, an anti-coagulant. Hogs are particularly sensitive to it, so it's very unlikely that anything eating one that has ingested it would die or even get sick. This has been extensively studied, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife has signed off on it.
      No they have not. It is illegal. The makers took it off the market. Read the posted article above.

Comment

We eat wild hogs, they are a food source for us. If my children ever got sick my "neighbor" would be fed to the hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
          https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...l-hogs/618902/

Says illegal to poison. Too much collateral damage. Illegal in all 50 states. Better have a talk with your neighbor, they might kill someone.
          I think the poison that is used has some type of clay , that stops up the digestive system permanently? Saw some @ the feed store
          In San Antonio ?
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-27-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
            I think the poison that is used has some type of clay , that stops up the digestive system permanently? Saw some @ the feed store
            In San Antonio
            Apparently you can poison predators but not hogs specially due to the fact they are a food source. Be careful, I wouldn’t be eating anything you shoot till you figure that one out.

Comment

I would much rather eat a hog than a whitetail. We put a hurting on the hogs, but sure like to have them around. As the OP, we have dedicated hog feeders and they leave the pens alone.

Comment

They're fun to shoot but they can get waaaay out of hand fast. Blink of a eye, you're overrun.

Comment

I had a bad problem when I bought my place. I killed 26 hogs on the first set of the trap and 11 on the second. Neighbor got 49 in a weekend. We don't have too many hogs now. I have begun to process my own so I do consider them a plus when I can kill 1 or 2 when I want to. They are also nice when you can swap a hog hunt for a little labor or something.

Comment

I definitely like having a few, but currently we have too many. Didn't hunt that much, this spring and summer, to help keep numbers down and run them off the feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                      I had a bad problem when I bought my place. I killed 26 hogs on the first set of the trap and 11 on the second. Neighbor got 49 in a weekend. We don't have too many hogs now. I have begun to process my own so I do consider them a plus when I can kill 1 or 2 when I want to. They are also nice when you can swap a hog hunt for a little labor or something.
                      Send me the contacts of those who will swap labor for some hog hunts.
                      I have plenty of both.

Comment

The problem is that you can't just have a 'few'. A few turns into many very quickly. And, the population has to be high enough in order to happen across a few each year to eat or for recreational hunting. For example if you had 10,000 acres and only 3 pigs on it. That's a few. But if you wanted 'enough' to be able to shoot a few each year, how many would you need when you consider that pigs are pretty smart? The only reason we shoot so many now is because the population is so high, not because we are good hunters that are effective at killing pigs. And over most of Texas with smaller property sizes, if you want to shoot a few on your 300 acres, and the neighbor wants a few for his 200 acres, and the other neighbor wants a few for his 50 acres, etc, etc., that means you would need a pretty sizable population to sustain that. Folks that want pigs round will always allow the population to increase so that hunting is easy. The same thing has happened with aoudad in West Texas and is happening with axis in many areas. Despite all we know about the dangers of exotic species, some just don't care.

Comment

If I never see another hog, I’m good. I hate them….BUT I’m not on the pro poison stance… yet
                          Attached Files

Comment

When it is legal and available I will be using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              If I never see another hog, I’m good. I hate them….BUT I’m not on the pro poison stance… yet
                              Those pics are beautiful.

Comment

As has been stated, poison would not be something I could ever do. Not because of the legality, but because of what it introduces into the environment. I'm not familiar with the effects on other animals though.

We would trap quite a few and just keep trying. Some weeks it would be 25-30 and other weeks it would be less than 5. We would do hunting for fun, but the traps are what helped manage the numbers better.

Comment

Working...
                                X