The bucks love it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Post OP,
    I did a little test one year with Anterlmax, All-Stock sweet feed and Rice Bran. I need to go back and find those photos and data collected. But I do remember that the deer along the river preferred rice bran over the sweet feed and once the rice bran was gone, finished the sweet feed before touching the Antlermax.

I just thought at first that they preferred rice bran because I had fed it previously, so I cut out rice bran for a couple months and only fed sweet feed and antler max.
    Once I started rice bran again with the other two, deer still went to the rice bran first. But the sweet feed did attract more than the protein each time.

This test was done in Bosque County not East Texas.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc

Comment

Empty in 4 days. Refilled it with sweet feed m, roaster soy and corn. Probably be emptied tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
        Great Post OP,
        I did a little test one year with Anterlmax, All-Stock sweet feed and Rice Bran. I need to go back and find those photos and data collected. But I do remember that the deer along the river preferred rice bran over the sweet feed and once the rice bran was gone, finished the sweet feed before touching the Antlermax.

I just thought at first that they preferred rice bran because I had fed it previously, so I cut out rice bran for a couple months and only fed sweet feed and antler max.
        Once I started rice bran again with the other two, deer still went to the rice bran first. But the sweet feed did attract more than the protein each time.

This test was done in Bosque County not East Texas.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc
        Were you using regular rice bran or one of the flavored ones? If flavored, which one?

I don't have a trough feeder, I would pour my sweet feed, corn rice bran on the ground. I'm sure the ants love it. How big of a problem is that?

Comment

nice

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post

The buffet is open

Nice, just hope it doesn't rain

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            My deer wont touch protein pellets either but bags of sweet feed in the non pellet form with high molasses content is a different story. They will dang near hang out in my area all day hitting it multiple times per day. I've never had a corn feeder produce the results I see with sweet feed in a trough. It doesn't mean that it would have the same results on every property though. I have been doing this for 4-5 years now and once they started hitting it, they never stopped. I've tried rice bran, soy, and regular protein pellets and my deer won't touch them.

So, non pellet form? I went back and looked at your pictures of your son working and that is definitely not pellet form. I goofed up this past weekend.

Will try again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post

Empty in 4 days. Refilled it with sweet feed m, roaster soy and corn. Probably be emptied tonight

need a timed solar retracting lid on that!

Comment

I refilled with 250 lbs and they emptied it last night.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                  So, non pellet form? I went back and looked at your pictures of your son working and that is definitely not pellet form. I goofed up this past weekend.

Will try again soon.
                  Me too maybe that was my problem

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                    Were you using regular rice bran or one of the flavored ones? If flavored, which one?

I don't have a trough feeder, I would pour my sweet feed, corn rice bran on the ground. I'm sure the ants love it. How big of a problem is that?
                    Regular, no flavor. Did not have any problems with ants. Had an old trey type feed troft and cut a couple 1x6's and separated the feed. Ill locate pictures and scan in my data sheet once I locate it.

Rwc

Comment

We built a sweet feed trough and put it out a month ago. Until a few days ago nothing touched it - deer were milling around picking up corn but had no interest in the sweet feed. Last weekend I mixed some in with the corn on the ground and now they hit it all night like fat kids at a pizza buffet.

Comment

Comment

Rice Bran meal is my go to

Comment

Originally posted by duckduckgoose View Post
                            Really interesting. How about raccoons?

I used to have a trough like the one in the op, I hung a few landscape light or 4 off the roof.

I went out at night with my old .22 mag with a wml on it & had a great time busting the thieving trash pandas out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                              I put some in a trough feeder about a month ago, deer at the feeder 10 yards away every day but they wont touch it for me.
                              They're telling you; "if that's the best you can do, go ahead and shoot us!"

Comment

Well you were correct sir. We have an old abandoned pen with trough we used for protein about 2 years ago with no success. I bought the pellet form sweet feed and stuck a camera on it. I dumped it on the ground just to see what would happen. September 26 day. Sept 26 night I had a doe in there. Pen is grown up. I kept looking through pictures And low and behold 2 shooter bucks were in there multiple times a night. At one point I had 5 does in there. No stand yet and mainly night time pics. Day pics of just a few does. Super excited and put another 50 pounds out not pellet form yesterday. Thanks to all who posted. I will try to get pics from my computer when I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X