Going price for large wrapped round bales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    I paid $50 for large round bales in the field. Keep an eye on good quality hay patches that are ready to be cut. When they start cutting stop by and see if they are selling any. Buying in the field will usually get you a better price if you have the equipment to move it yourself. You should be able to find some in that area for $50 a large round bale in the field.
    This is what I am trying to do. In the past this hasn't been that hard but to tell you the truth it almost seems a lot of folks already have their hay sold to brokers that pick it all up and resell it during the winter.

Comment

I paid 60 for 5.5x5.5 costal rolls

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        Can someone explain the business of hay farming? Why do they let so many bales rot each year in the fields?
        Some people cut hay just for the ag exemption on the land, for lower taxes. Sometimes the hay has a bunch of crap in it and they can't sell it or they are just shredding and cutting to help clear the land out. If there is a lot of rain, the ground might be too soft to get in and get it out. Sometimes they just suck at marketing and don't know who to sell to or how to sell it. Down here in the valley you can make pretty good money if you have irrigated fields. Some years if there is a bunch of rain there will be a glut of hay and they will store it for following years when there is a drought.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

35 % increase in fertilizer, weed spray, fuel and not counting your time and parts if something breaks. My hay baler man charges $30 to cut, rake and bale. Just got through putting 74 big bales in my barn to go with the 63 I had left over from last year. I'm set for the year. When your figure your costs for a bale of hay you probably got close to $45 in a bale. Nothing is cheap anymore except advice and opinions.

Comment

Working...
          X