No announcement yet.

Any tundra lift/level experts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an Icon level on front with coachbuilder shackles on back. It rides great & no issues with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
      So thing to remember with shocks is they wear out and you have to replace or rebuild them. So about to rebuild the kings on my wife’s 4runner. It’s 1100 bucks to have them rebuilt if you pull them off.

Set of cheap bilsteins costs half that new. Unless you actually need heavy duty Coilovers and are going to seriously wheel the thing stick with bilsteing 5100s front and 5160 rears.

Oooooor if you are going to go fast get ADS coilovers and the ads triple bypasses in the rEar with a set of deaver k37s. I have had kings, icon, and now ADS and they are the best from a durability and comfort standpoint when you daily drive in my opinion.

Icons are digressive valved and I thought they road pretty stiff. Kings are progressive valved and rode pretty good with a 600 lbs spring but crappy with a 700 lbs spring. I had to make them super stiff to not go through the spring when I was being rowdy. But the ads with a 700 are like buttah. And the rear bypasses.... ohhhh those bypasses.

If you lift get you really need new upper control arms probably get JBA ball joint ones so you don’t have to mess with piling uniball etc. I have MCM fab uniball and they actually align right unlike icon and total chaos (ask em how I know). Don’t buy the billet upper control arms from camburg or icon either. While you can align them, galvanic corrosion is a very real thing (ask me how I know). Oh and take it to a Good alignment shop and tell them what specs you want. Let me know and I’ll get them for you. DO NOT LET THEM SAY OH ITS IN THE GREEN!!! You will be buying new front tires in no time.

Oh and don’t do a block in the back whatever you do. Do lift shackles. Tundras have super long leaf springs and as it is they de-arch just stock over time. With a block they will be flat in a year or two and you get a drive line shudder when you accelerate. Regardless you will probably need a diff drop. If you don’t have one you will get shudder when you tow much of anything and are accelerating.

Ummm. That’s all I can think of.

Oh and tires. Don’t go bigger than 35s and choose your offset carefully. Unless you are super careful you will have to cut your body mount so the tires clear it at full lock. And trim the skid plate.

Ok that’s all I got. I’ll help you install stuff if you want to do it and we can work out a time.
      That $1100 rebuild, is that direct from King or an authorized dealer/rebuilder? That’s crazy expensive for a rebuild. I have the 2.5 Icons with remote reservoirs and CDC adjusters and there is an authorized dealer in DFW that will rebuild them for $400 (me pulling them off). I’ve thought about going back with King, but they are currently 22-24 weeks out on new orders.

To the OP, do it right or don’t mess with it at all. Like all things, you get what you pay for. People think Bilstiens are amazing, but they are nothing more than a cheap mass produced shock. I’m not knocking them. I’ve had them on 4runners and i currently have them on an F350, but they are nothing more than small step above the factory junk already on it. Spend some time on the Tundra Forum and see what the majority of those guys say.

Comment

Man if you find someone to rebuild (really rebuild not just change the wiper seals) for 400 bucks for 4 shocks you’re doing amazing. King authorized dealer pricing (have paid similar before from different folks)

167 a shock labor
        132 bucks for seal kits
        92 bucks of oil
        200 for Replacement shafts (common to replace on street cars from rock dings always have to replace at least one)

1092 total

I don’t even have to replace a spherical bearing this time but that’s not uncommon either. And this doesn’t include wear bands.

I’m gonna disagree with fella above. There’s nothing “wrong” with bilsteins. They work great for what you said you do. Enthusiasm makes people spend money on their suspension they don’t need. Like people that buy raptors and don’t off-road. Be realistic with your expectations. Just my 2 cents. And remember you have to rebuild every 30k miles or so on average.
        Last edited by Rubberdown; 08-20-2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X