No announcement yet.

Barb Wire Fencing Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must be real lucky. I have a lot of 4 strand perimeter fences and don’t have problems with cattle getting out. If one does it will be somebody else’s problem as it will go for a ride. But nothing wrong with having a pissing contest to see who can string most wire. Or using stainless posts.

Comment

My area 1.50-2.00 ft you buy material! $3.50-4.00 they supply material! Plus braces! Most are 6 weeks behind
      Last edited by hwy84; 08-15-2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Also n my experience # of wires doesn’t effect cost per foot just add for wire

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          I must be real lucky. I have a lot of 4 strand perimeter fences and don’t have problems with cattle getting out. If one does it will be somebody else’s problem as it will go for a ride. But nothing wrong with having a pissing contest to see who can string most wire. Or using stainless posts.
          Lucky, or maybe not using your perimeter fence to keep cattle in

I built a lot of 4-strand fence, with my grandfather, back in the 1960's. T-posts and pipe corners. Before that, there were a lot of 4-strand fences, built with cedar posts. Some are still in use, if the briars/trees have grown around them.

That era is gone. At that time, most folks were running white-face Herefords. A cow would weigh around 900-1000 pounds, and a bull would run about 1700 pounds. We sold calves at 300 pounds.

In the 1980's, there was a big push for "Black Angus" beef. If you are old, like me, you can remember the grocery store ads for the angus beef. The USDA, Cattlemen's Association, and others pushed us to Black Angus cattle. And, we did.

Today, we run a mix of Black Angus and Red Angus cows. Our bulls are all Black Angus. A Black Angus cow weighs between 1000-1300 pounds. A Red Angus cow will push 1500 pounds, and they are crazy. A healthy Black Angus bull will push 2500 pounds.

Four wire fences will not hold them, if they decide to go elsewhere. Keep in mind, your bottom two wires need to hold calves in. We typically space them at 9".

We build 5 wire fences, that the top wire is at 4' 6", with braces, posts, etc. at 5'.

If you run big cows, build big fences.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by hwy84 View Post
            My area 1.50-2.00 ft you buy material! $3.50-4.00 they supply material! Plus braces! Most are 6 weeks behind
            This falls in line with a quote we just received. $19k per mile, but we have quite a bit of rock to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
              Lucky, or maybe not using your perimeter fence to keep cattle in

I built a lot of 4-strand fence, with my grandfather, back in the 1960's. T-posts and pipe corners. Before that, there were a lot of 4-strand fences, built with cedar posts. Some are still in use, if the briars/trees have grown around them.

That era is gone. At that time, most folks were running white-face Herefords. A cow would weigh around 900-1000 pounds, and a bull would run about 1700 pounds. We sold calves at 300 pounds.

In the 1980's, there was a big push for "Black Angus" beef. If you are old, like me, you can remember the grocery store ads for the angus beef. The USDA, Cattlemen's Association, and others pushed us to Black Angus cattle. And, we did.

Today, we run a mix of Black Angus and Red Angus cows. Our bulls are all Black Angus. A Black Angus cow weighs between 1000-1300 pounds. A Red Angus cow will push 1500 pounds, and they are crazy. A healthy Black Angus bull will push 2500 pounds.

Four wire fences will not hold them, if they decide to go elsewhere. Keep in mind, your bottom two wires need to hold calves in. We typically space them at 9".

We build 5 wire fences, that the top wire is at 4' 6", with braces, posts, etc. at 5'.

If you run big cows, build big fences.

Randy
              That's odd. My neighbor raises Angus. And his perimeter fences are four wire. He doesn't have any trouble containing them. But then he doesn't overgraze his pasture. And I don't overgraze mine. What a coincidence.

Animals usually break fences looking for food or sex. When two bulls decide to tangle not many fences will stop them. Overgraze your place and you will have fence problems. Some cattle are fence jumpers. Sell them and let somebody else deal with them.

Comment

That's odd. My neighbor raises Angus. And his perimeter fences are four wire. He doesn't have any trouble containing them. But then he doesn't overgraze his pasture. And I don't overgraze mine. What a coincidence.

Animals usually break fences looking for food or sex. When two bulls decide to tangle not many fences will stop them. Overgraze your place and you will have fence problems. Some cattle are fence jumpers. Sell them and let somebody else deal with them.
                Lot of accuracy in that statement.

Comment

In for info. Looking myself...

Comment

Just priced 5 strand and both companies were around 3$ ft, H brace with kick leg are $350 each.

Comment

Lol
                      Not at your reply but at the fence jumper part......... ever have your neighbors cow on your back porch
                      [emoji23]
                      Gotta admit it was funny when the wife and I got woke up by a cow at the bedroom slider door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would go with wire netting fence about the same price as a 6 strand fence because the less labor required to put it up and you'll got a real fence when finished. Would you neighbors share 1/2 the cost of the fence that's the way it's normally done unless you have fence along the road etc. check with the county nat resources and see if they have any cost sharing. Fencing is always a good write off. New fence is depreciated out over so many years but fence repair can all be taken off all at once. About $4 a foot depending on how many braces, corners, gates etc are involved.

Comment

Good welded,H-braces ain't cheap anymore.
                          And neither is the wire..
                          IMHO- spend the extra money on USA wire.
                          That cheap, china crap will stretch. Bad !.
                          You'll be tightening fences, the rest of your life.

Comment

Build your own fence and take pride in your accomplishments, we just put two gates in and running 2 and half miles of fence, H-post at any major elevation change, steel post every 100ft, 5 strands with 12,9,9,9,9 spacing. I dont like to spend money paying a man to do work that I can do myself..

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                              Build your own fence and take pride in your accomplishments, we just put two gates in and running 2 and half miles of fence, H-post at any major elevation change, steel post every 100ft, 5 strands with 12,9,9,9,9 spacing. I dont like to spend money paying a man to do work that I can do myself..
                              This only thing different is i run Sta-tite anywhere i can. It more than makes up for itself in cost in the time factor of putting it up in my mind. I can put the Sta-tite up about 2-3 times faster than barbwire.

Comment

Anybody put up fencing lately?
                                whats a good budget for Atascosa County? sand and dirt / no rock.

Comment

Working...
                                X