No announcement yet.

2021 Hurricane Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Blake.... much appreciated... We're not getting much info from relatives... We're know they made it okay, but since the cell service went out late last night no full reports on damage....

Houma TV was streaming a bit ago... said lots of roads in Terrebonne are impassable due to trees, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
      I just want to make sure, but is this the correct organization to make donations to?

https://www.thecajunnavy.org/
      I honestly have no clue brother. Sadly once a business becomes successful and nationally recognized by the media, others try to take advantage of the situation with similar named businesses. There are probably a dozen or more companies who use the words "Red Cross", "Wounded Warrior", or "American Heart Association" trying to obtain some of the financial donations.

That being said, I'd do some research on the "Cajun Navy". I believe there are 3 different companies who use a variation of that name and claim to save lives using a fleet of boats and volunteers. I believe one of those organizations had a founder, who was arrested for fraud or tax evasion. Natural disasters bring out the best in people, and sadly sometimes bring out the worst in people Perhaps another TBH'er or Louisiana resident can provide their recommendation on this subject.

Change of topic Regarding Hurricanes Laura and Delta which happened 1-year ago, there are MANY people in Cameron and Calcasieu Parishes who have not been able to rebuild their homes and businesses due to BS red tape, greed by attorneys and insurance companies, and theft of building materials. It truly is unbelievable what has happened (or not happened) to the residents in Lake Charles and surrounding areas. If you happen to drive down the major streets in LC, Moss Bluff, Vinton, and Sulphur, lots of businesses have not re-opened because their buildings look the same today as they did 365 days ago.

Sorry for bitcching on my soap box as these hard working people have been totally forgotten about. I drive to LC every 3-4 weeks for business and it's depressing

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        I honestly have no clue brother. Sadly once a business becomes successful and nationally recognized by the media, others try to take advantage of the situation with similar named businesses. There are probably a dozen or more companies who use the words "Red Cross", "Wounded Warrior", or "American Heart Association" trying to obtain some of the financial donations.

That being said, I'd do some research on the "Cajun Navy". I believe there are 3 different companies who use a variation of that name and claim to save lives using a fleet of boats and volunteers. I believe one of those organizations had a founder, who was arrested for fraud or tax evasion. Natural disasters bring out the best in people, and sadly sometimes bring out the worst in people Perhaps another TBH'er or Louisiana resident can provide their recommendation on this subject.

Change of topic Regarding Hurricanes Laura and Delta which happened 1-year ago, there are MANY people in Cameron and Calcasieu Parishes who have not been able to rebuild their homes and businesses due to BS red tape, greed by attorneys and insurance companies, and theft of building materials. It truly is unbelievable what has happened (or not happened) to the residents in Lake Charles and surrounding areas. If you happen to drive down the major streets in LC, Moss Bluff, Vinton, and Sulphur, lots of businesses have not re-opened because their buildings look the same today as they did 365 days ago.

Sorry for bitcching on my soap box as these hard working people have been totally forgotten about. I drive to LC every 3-4 weeks for business and it's depressing

Yeah, my friend in LC is still waiting for final insurance check
        And some one stolen his building materials for his dock and boat house, crazy it’s been a year

Comment

Anyone check on Black Ice?
          Hopefully he wasn’t in his hammock...

Comment

Yup, our POS governor was on TV yesterday before the storm made landfall and said, "This will be the worst storm since Katrina" I was like, you sorry POS, Katrina was a Cat 3, it's like Laura and then Delta never happened over here. All we got out of that Ahole last year after Laura was this statement, "Looks like we dodged a bullet" Eff that POS

Comment

not good at all

power lines in the river have also halted vessel traffic up/down the Ms River

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-s0Uy29IG8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-s0Uy29IG8[/ame]

Comment

not good at all

power lines in the river have also halted vessel traffic up/down the Ms River

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-s0Uy29IG8
                We had many of those come down near my house. As I sat on my back porch every evening waiting for the mosquitos to come out I watched the sky crane helicopters lifting the twisted metal out and flying the new stuff in. When the mosquitos would come is when we would crank the generator and go inside to take a cold shower and go into the one bed room with the window unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamprat View Post
                  Thanks Blake.... much appreciated... We're not getting much info from relatives... We're know they made it okay, but since the cell service went out late last night no full reports on damage....

Houma TV was streaming a bit ago... said lots of roads in Terrebonne are impassable due to trees, etc...
                  Same here from sister and dad in Slidell. It didn’t sound like they had too much bad wind but it sounded like they did have a lot of rain last I heard from them was early evening yesterday and she said they had just lost power. Radio silence since then.

Comment

Now hearing that natural gas lines are being shut-down in Terrebonne. For those with at-home generators, not cool.

But, I do understand the risk...Along the river, my BIL left his safe house for a few minutes last night and found a 3-4 foot dia oak in his own house and in the process the gas line was busted and was audibly leaking... He left quickly...

Comment

Originally posted by Swamprat View Post
                      Now hearing that natural gas lines are being shut-down in Terrebonne. For those with at-home generators, not cool.

But, I do understand the risk...Along the river, my BIL left his safe house for a few minutes last night and found a 3-4 foot dia oak in his own house and in the process the gas line was busted and was audibly leaking... He left quickly...
                      Yeah that was one of the things I didn't consider. The uprooted trees pull up all the buried utilities. Gas and water lines in shambles. I think it took about 6 days for us to have water again.

Comment

We good here. Lots of trees down all over the place and no power, no internet and just got back cell service.

Spent part of the day cutting trees for neighbors and once we got them squared away I cleaned up the little bit I had at my house.

Couple of fences leaning bad but not all the way down. Had some shingle damaged that I will need to get looked at but other than that we came out alright.

Best thing I ever did was get this generator installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                          We good here. Lots of trees down all over the place and no power, no internet and just got back cell service.

Spent part of the day cutting trees for neighbors and once we got them squared away I cleaned up the little bit I had at my house.

Couple of fences leaning bad but not all the way down. Had some shingle damaged that I will need to get looked at but other than that we came out alright.

Good to hear

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds great over all! You on propane or is your NG still on? I read somewhere they cut off NG due to leaks from uprooted trees.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              Sounds great over all! You on propane or is your NG still on? I read somewhere they cut off NG due to leaks from uprooted trees.

I’m on natural gas.

I’ve got a back up generator and AC if they do shut it off but would have to Siphon gas out of my car because I didn’t get any gas.

Comment

I’m on natural gas.

I’ve got a back up generator and AC if they do shut it off but would have to Siphon gas out of my car because I didn’t get any gas.

Glad you made it through with relatively little damage.

Comment

Working...
                                X