No announcement yet.

2021 Hurricane Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

checking in to say I'm safe and report what 411 I know ....

NOLA areas : Over 1,000,000 homes are currently without power in the following Parishes: Orleans, Jefferson, Plaquemines, St. Tammany, Washington, Lafourche, Terrebonne, St. Charles, Tangipahoa, Livingston, and St. Helena. Basically in the areas that are East of the Atchafalaya River Basin & Mississippi River. Entergy, Cleco, and other electrical providers are assessing the damages on foot, boat, and by drone before dispersing utility trucks to restore power. Flood waters have to recede and fallen trees have to be removed before they can begin the repair work. There was a rumor circulating last night that one of the large power line towers that feeds electricity fell into the river ???? No clue if this is true or not, just hearsay until I can verify the facts.

Driving to work this morning I saw dozens of tree cutting trucks (Asplundh, Boudreaux's Tree Service, etc... ) and a convoy of electrical utility trucks from many States heading South to areas in need. Lafayette has power as SW LA (LAF & LC) was spared.

LaPlace got 14"-15" of rain in < 12 hours. That area is low-lying and very swampy. LaPlace is located between the Mississippi River and SW side of Lake Pontchartrain which is only 4-5 miles wide. It holds water from the already saturated ground which is why some houses had over 10 feet of water in them. Lots of families stayed and when the waters began to rise, they got scared and retreated to their attics. The Cajun Navy began rescue efforts at 8:30 pm. Due to the 80+ mph winds, their boats were being capsized and efforts were halted for several hours due to safety. At approx. 1:00am they resumed rescuing people once the winds had slowed down to 40-50 mph. Sadly gonna see lots of orange painted X's on houses from the search and rescue efforts.

I've heard no word on casualties in LaPlace since next of kin will have to be notified and lots of people are still without cell phone service and/or evacuated. 1 person died in Ascension Parish when a tree fell through his roof and claimed his life.

Houma areas : Lots of trees down along the Hwy 90 stretch and some roads / highways are impassable in Houma, Morgan City, Thibodeaux, and surrounding communities. Since there are hundreds of oil & gas service companies, wireline, and machine shops in that area, several TBH'ers likely have family & business contacts who can provide updated information.

Fishing areas including lower Terrebonne Parish : No telling what it's like in Grand Isle, Cocodrie, Dulac, Dularge, Lockport, Venice, Golden Meadow areas. They were directly in the Hurricanes path with sustained winds from 125-155mph for 12+ hours. Video footage and reports should be released by the Sheriff offices and news media throughout the day. Praying for the best, yet expecting the worst. Many of those places will be unrecognizable since once familiar camps, marinas, convenience stores, and street signs will all be gone

Northshore, Covington, Mandeville areas : My parents live in Franklinton which is in rural Washington Parish (around Bogalusa). They currently have no power, trees are down everywhere, and it looks like a war zone according to my mom. During Katrina, they were w/out power for 35 days. My brother lives nearby and will be delivering them a generator and gas this afternoon. My Uncle lives in Diamondhead, MS and he has electricity on the MS gulf coast. My friend who lives in Madisonville is w/out power yet he has a generator powering his house.

Baton Rouge areas : Black Ice will know more than I do since that's where he lives.

Thanks for the prayers and support. This isn't their first rodeo, as the Cajuns and coon-arses are resilient people who will cook a gumbo & jambalaya and start the rebuilding process.

Edit: this map below shows the 911 emergency SOS text messages that were posted on Twitter between 8pm to 11pm yesterday. No telling how many actual cell phone calls were made to 911 dispatchers. That map was then updated and sent to the Cajun Navy and 1st responders.

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 08-30-2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
      3 they are watching..
      The weather experts can chime in more, but my understanding is the yellow area around the Yucatan has potential, but very low odds, and the rest are not expected to threaten Texas.

I am hoping this holds true. I've had enough hurricanes since Harvey.

My prayers go out to you folks in LA. We don't want to see another double hit like Katrina/Rita.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

There was a rumor circulating last night that one of the large power line towers that feeds electricity fell into the river ???? No clue if this is true or not, just hearsay until I can verify the facts.
        This is true. From an AP story:

The hurricane twisted and collapsed a giant transmission tower in Jefferson Parish along the Mississippi River, and the wires fell into the river, causing widespread outages and halting river traffic, parish Emergency Management Director Joe Valiente said.

The tower, which survived Katrina, is one of eight ways power is brought into New Orleans, and the failure of one of them might have led the others to shut down as well, Rodriguez said.

Other areas were also in the dark.

“One-hundred percent of the grid is smashed, hundreds of telephone poles snapped, trees hit power lines and just ripped them out,” Valiente told NPR. He said that the entire power grids collapsed in about 10 parishes and that it could take six weeks to fully restore power.

Comment

NOLA areas : Over 1,000,000 homes are currently without power in the following Parishes: Orleans, Jefferson, Plaquemines, St. Tammany, Washington, Lafourche, Terrebonne, St. Charles, Tangipahoa, Livingston, and St. Helena. Basically in the areas that are East of the Atchafalaya River Basin & Mississippi River. Entergy, Cleco, and other electrical providers are assessing the damages on foot, boat, and by drone before dispersing utility trucks to restore power. Flood waters have to recede and fallen trees have to be removed before they can begin the repair work. There was a rumor circulating last night that one of the large power line towers that feeds electricity fell into the river ???? No clue if this is true or not, just hearsay until I can verify the facts.

Driving to work this morning I saw dozens of tree cutting trucks (Asplundh, Boudreaux's Tree Service, etc... ) and a convoy of electrical utility trucks from many States heading South to areas in need. Lafayette has power as SW LA (LAF & LC) was spared.

LaPlace got 14"-15" of rain in < 12 hours. That area is low-lying and very swampy. LaPlace is located between the Mississippi River and SW side of Lake Pontchartrain which is only 4-5 miles wide. It holds water from the already saturated ground which is why some houses had over 10 feet of water in them. Lots of families stayed and when the waters began to rise, they got scared and retreated to their attics. The Cajun Navy began rescue efforts at 8:30 pm. Due to the 80+ mph winds, their boats were being capsized and efforts were halted for several hours due to safety. At approx. 1:00am they resumed rescuing people once the winds had slowed down to 40-50 mph. Sadly gonna see lots of orange painted X's on houses from the search and rescue efforts.

I've heard no word on casualties in LaPlace since next of kin will have to be notified and lots of people are still without cell phone service and/or evacuated. 1 person died in Ascension Parish when a tree fell through his roof and claimed his life.

Houma areas : Lots of trees down along the Hwy 90 stretch and some roads / highways are impassable in Houma, Morgan City, Thibodeaux, and surrounding communities. Since there are hundreds of oil & gas service companies, wireline, and machine shops in that area, several TBH'ers likely have family & business contacts who can provide updated information.

Fishing areas including lower Terrebonne Parish : No telling what it's like in Grand Isle, Cocodrie, Dulac, Dularge, Lockport, Venice, Golden Meadow areas. They were directly in the Hurricanes path with sustained winds from 125-155mph for 12+ hours. Video footage and reports should be released by the Sheriff offices and news media throughout the day. Praying for the best, yet expecting the worst. Many of those places will be unrecognizable since once familiar camps, marinas, convenience stores, and street signs will all be gone

Northshore, Covington, Mandeville areas : My parents live in Franklinton which is in rural Washington Parish (around Bogalusa). They currently have no power, trees are down everywhere, and it looks like a war zone according to my mom. During Katrina, they were w/out power for 35 days. My brother lives nearby and will be delivering them a generator and gas this afternoon. My Uncle lives in Diamondhead, MS and he has electricity on the MS gulf coast. My friend who lives in Madisonville is w/out power yet he has a generator powering his house.

Baton Rouge areas : Black Ice will know more than I do since that's where he lives.

Thanks for the prayers and support. This isn't their first rodeo, as the Cajuns and coon-arses are resilient people who will cook a gumbo & jambalaya and start the rebuilding process.

Wow had no clue we had so many close people! My closest friends live in Covington and went to school in Franklinton, my ex wife is from bogalusa [emoji51] lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

God bless the Cajun Navy, that is one of the most impressive response teams I’ve seen. Should probably let them run FEMA and the Red Cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
              God bless the Cajun Navy, that is one of the most impressive response teams I’ve seen. Should probably let them run FEMA and the Red Cross.

Difference in private an government run

Lord put a hedge of protection around all SAR providers [emoji1374]

Comment

Amen!!

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                difference in private an government run

lord put a hedge of protection around all sar providers [emoji1374]

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
                👍

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  The weather experts can chime in more, but my understanding is the yellow area around the Yucatan has potential, but very low odds, and the rest are not expected to threaten Texas.

My prayers go out to you folks in LA. We don't want to see another double hit like Katrina/Rita.
                  I looked over all model runs this morning and none of them are impressed with the area shaded in yellow. Definitely need to keep an eye on it of course.

Thanks for the update Blake!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the updates Blake, and everbody.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

The Laura/Delta double hit was worse. Those two hit the same spot a few weeks apart. So far the models are thinking low confidence near yuctatan and fish storms for the others including the one coming off Africa. Let's help that hold true.

Comment

I just want to make sure, but is this the correct organization to make donations to?

Comment

Thanks for the update Blake.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                            I just want to make sure, but is this the correct organization to make donations to?

https://www.thecajunnavy.org/
                            That is who I just sent money to.....................

Comment

Just saw the Grand Isle launch or something recorded a 168mph gust of wind yesterday before it broke.... Still crazy to think mother nature can produce something so violent

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                                Just saw the Grand Isle launch or something recorded a 168mph gust of wind yesterday before it broke.... Still crazy to think mother nature can produce something so violent

I read a recorded 172mph somewhere…my goodness

Comment

Working...
                                X