Just Got My TPWD Tax Statements For MLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    Your biologist never comes out and does a browse survey. They don't interpret your data and make recommendations? Ours does. I think it's a bargain.
    Then charge the people who use a state biologist to do the do their management.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      I use a private biologist. So why am I being taxed by Parks and Wildlife? Where is this new tax money going?
      I never heard about getting taxed. We just bought a new place and are considering MLD. Can you tell me approximately how much they squeeze you for? I’m sure size of ranch and some other criteria plays a roll. This place is 675 acres in McMullen county.

PM me if you’d prefer that. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
        Rich people problems.
        Rich people pass their taxes down to poor people by increasing the cost of their products.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
          I never heard about getting taxed. We just bought a new place and are considering MLD. Can you tell me approximately how much they squeeze you for? I’m sure size of ranch and some other criteria plays a roll. This place is 675 acres in McMullen county.

PM me if you’d prefer that. Thanks
          Your’s will be a flat tax of $300. If you are in a cooperative it may be less. My cooperatives taxes are $30 per property.

Comment

I'm guessing there's some back-end administrative costs for just having the program itself. In this day and age of hyper inflation I'm not surprised to see these departments pulling strings for extra money. TPWD budgeting has got to be one crazy animal.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
              Would MLD complain more about 1. their extra tags and extra months hunting being taken away or 2. about a tax? Lol wow
              Pop quiz. Why do MLD properties get extra tags (the ones that do)? And why do they get extra months to hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                I'm guessing there's some back-end administrative costs for just having the program itself. In this day and age of hyper inflation I'm not surprised to see these departments pulling strings for extra money. TPWD budgeting has got to be one crazy animal.
                My biologist does all the work. Hands it to the state biologist who rubber stamps it. I print the tags. What’s my $300 going for?

Deer breeders ought to be charged for spreading CWD across the state. Can you only imagine the administrative costs of doing that?

Comment

My biologist does all the work. Hands it to the state biologist who rubber stamps it. I print the tags. What’s my $300 going for?

Deer breeders ought to be charged for spreading CWD across the state. Can you only imagine the administrative costs of doing that?
                  No idea, but whenever any kind of government agency has any type of "program" they somehow spend a lot of money just by the fact that it exists. I'd imagine lots of people sitting in cubicles "supporting" the MLD program, probably send a few emails and write some reports or something. Oh and I bed the breeders have it coming, just wait and see they'll probably end up with a tax and/or more fees soon.

Comment

I have been on MLD for a while, and while the money part is somewhat of PITA, I look at it as my "fee" to be able to shoot bucks that would otherwise be off limits in an antler-restricted county. Do I get support from the biologist- No. Does he let me manage as I see fit and basically leave me alone-Yes. Would I pay double if I had to-Absolutely.

No facts that I can base it on, but I would imagine the fee was also a way to push some of the fringe MLD people off and let those that really followed the program to stay on.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      M16 - Guys here on MLD will agree and 100% understand.

Those not on MLD will not understand, try to understand or care.
                      Yep. I don't really know why the non-MLD guys even get on these threads to more-or-less bash the MLD guys.

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
                      The 300.00 fee is new for 2021-22 season and going forward.

I do all of our deer surveys turn them in and then have to print off all the Tags. At the end of the season send in the harvest data. And yet I have to pay the State for doing their work. Go Figure.
                      Same here.

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      Your biologist never comes out and does a browse survey. They don't interpret your data and make recommendations? Ours does. I think it's a bargain.
                      No. And No.

Then charge the people who use a state biologist to do the do their management.
                      That makes sense. Which is why it doesn't work that way I guess.

My landowner does the survey. I do everything else. Everything. I would also like to know where this $300 goes.

Comment

I too get a chuckle about people getting onto a thread and complaining about something they obviously don't know much about. Extra deer? Really...... If you had a property and were not MLD you could put as many hunters as you wanted and potentially each hunter could shoot 5 deer (depending on the county).

MLD deer tag numbers are based year to year and dependent on several factors including........ Acreage, range conditions, feeding program, fawn survival rate, buck to doe ratio, etc. These tags are provided to the property and are the only tags allowed to be used on said property. Any "legal" hunter can use these tags (with permission of the property owner of course).

Another example..... I am on an MLD lease (5000 acres) and have been for many many years. Anthrax got us pretty good. So, for the last 2 years we have had 0 tags (deer are still there just not in the numbers we need as the number of tags is based off the number of deer the ranch can carry per acre based on the above). In a typical year we will have anywhere between 70 - 125 tags depending on the conditions. A non MLD ranch 1 mile down the road and each hunter still has 5 tags to use even though the same anthrax issue was there.

I am not an MLD "expert" but I do have quite a bit of history with the program. Now I am not one to complain about what somebody else is doing on their ranch or lease. But if you are going to complain about others at least have an understanding of the other side and not be the assuming kind.....

PS - The tax is stupid and like most, the ranch we are on pays for the chopper survey, habitat improvements, prints the tags and we do all the record keeping, aging, feeding and general upkeep.

Comment

I use a private biologist. So why am I being taxed by Parks and Wildlife? Where is this new tax money going?
                          With the private biologists the state still reviews your improvements and surveys correct? I assume they still issue the tags based upon what you submit correct?

Either way it’s a small price to pay and as mentioned it’s not required so why do it?

Comment

To manage the MLD Program. Just like your saltwater stap. Archery stamp, turkey stap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We changed back to the conversation option this year. I haven't received any correspondence yet not have I received the bill. When did y'all get your information?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                                With the private biologists the state still reviews your improvements and surveys correct? I assume they still issue the tags based upon what you submit correct?

Either way it’s a small price to pay and as mentioned it’s not required so why do it?
                                It’s a rubber stamp of what my biologist recommends. I like to receive value for my money. I’m not seeing any value. I do it to preserve the states wildlife.

Comment

Working...
                                X