Hearing aid questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing aid questions

So I’m getting old! And apparently I had a mini heatstroke at one point that I didn’t realize, and it burnt up the tiny hairs in my inner ear. I fought it for a while, but last year I realized I couldn’t locate or in a lot of instances, even hear high pitch like elk bugles or turkey gobbles.

So I finally broke down and got a hearing aid.

It’s a starkey Picasso 1000. I’ve had it adjusted twice by the hearing center.

Is it normal to hear a ton of background noise? I feel like it increased my hearing and sense of hearing directionally, but sometimes speech is still a little garbled if I plug my left ear (hearing aid is on the right side).

How long did it take y’all to get used to one?

Still ain't used to mine, 6 mos

Comment

Mine sounded like I was in a barrel for a while. Guess I got used to it after a while. I take em out before wifey gets home.

Comment

Mine have a comfort setting and it will filter out irritating noise. They also have a preset function “ speech in noise” which helps when having a conversation at crowded/noisy restaurants.

Comment

Been wearing hearing aids since I was 5 years old, So over 23 years now. Due to being deafness.

It really depends on each person hears differently by how the hearing aid is set for that persons needs to hear.
          Now, for me I hear high pitch noises better than low pitch. Like a girls voice is much clearer than a male voice to me.
          Same goes with objects, tools, and etc. each one of them depends on what noise they make.

And yes there will be times you hear weird stuff you can’t figure out. You’ll get used to it.

Comment

I quit using mine , don’t like the barrel sound, and they don’t work good in hot humid weather, very expensive to lose them
            Easy enough to just have a card
            Attached Files
            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-03-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

If a Vet, they will get you some for free. I have had mine 10 yrs.

Comment

Whaaaat??!!

Comment

I hate mine and only wear them when I hunt.

Comment

Hoped I would “hear” more good news here.
                    Mine is fading. But I refuse to not be able to hear my family or friends when then do want to talk to me. However infrequently.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                      Hoped I would “hear” more good news here.
                      Mine is fading. But I refuse to not be able to hear my family or friends when then do want to talk to me. However infrequently.

BP

I’m only 35 but it’s helped my wife and I not fight as much I’ve noticed. When I take it out I feel like I don’t notice it immediately but where it seems to shine is not having to have the TV turned up so loud, which definitely helps when we have a 7 month old daughter trying to take a nap!

Comment

I just got my second set from Costco about 3 weeks ago. I got my first set in 2016. They were Resound and were great. My new ones are Phonak and are even better. The Phonak have more features. They are Bluetooth connected to my phone, rechargeable and have more adjustability thru the app on my phone.

Costco sent my old pair back to Resound to be refurbished. They charge $135.00 a piece to refurbish. When I went to pick them up I was surprised to find that Resound had sent two brand new hearing aids. So now I have a brand new backup pair. The Costco audiologist programed my old pair with the same program as my new pair although the old pair does not have all the new technology that the new pair has.

My Resound cost $1800.00 in October 2016. The new Phonak pair cost $1400.00. I can't believe people pay $5000 to $ 6000 for hearing aids when you can get a pair at Costco for $1400.00.

Hearing aids will make a huge difference in your quality of life. Don't hesitate to get them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                          I just got my second set from Costco about 3 weeks ago. I got my first set in 2016. They were Resound and were great. My new ones are Phonak and are even better. The Phonak have more features. They are Bluetooth connected to my phone, rechargeable and have more adjustability thru the app on my phone.

Costco sent my old pair back to Resound to be refurbished. They charge $135.00 a piece to refurbish. When I went to pick them up I was surprised to find that Resound had sent two brand new hearing aids. So now I have a brand new backup pair. The Costco audiologist programed my old pair with the same program as my new pair although the old pair does not have all the new technology that the new pair has.

My Resound cost $1800.00 in October 2016. The new Phonak pair cost $1400.00. I can't believe people pay $5000 to $ 6000 for hearing aids when you can get a pair at Costco for $1400.00.

Hearing aids will make a huge difference in your quality of life. Don't hesitate to get them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                          Agreed whole heartily !

Comment

Hearing aid questions

Costco for $1400 sounds great.
                            I’m one of the suckers that paid $5800 for my pair (insurance covered $3k , I covered the rest) , but with that expenditure I had a professional audiologist set me up so that I don’t have any of the complaints mentioned above.
                            I also see her once every 3 months for a cleaning and every year to reset them as necessary with a thorough hearing test - much more involved than the mash the button stuff the give us at work.

Mine only enhance what I’m not hearing. When I take them out sounds get dull. I can turn them up or down, adjust settings via a phone app.

I have the Phonaks brand, barely realize I have them on and have to feel at my ear to see if I took them off or not when I’m headed to bed.

The Bluetooth feature is awesome, not sure I’d want to be without them.

The funny part is I could go to the VA for a set, I just didn’t go that route- this time around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by DaveC; 08-03-2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I'm going in next week for the consult to be fitted for a pair. Through some research I found the workforce commission will pay for them if they are necessary for your job. I was lucky enough to qualify. I have really bad tinnitus and cannot hear or can barely hear higher pitch noises. Like I tell my wife all the time, I can hear her talking, I just can't understand what she's saying. Always having to turn the volume up on the TV and radio to understand what they are saying gets old. Hopefully this helps. I'm 35 also

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X