Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kid and I fished the surf yesterday. Just now laid the blocks out. Walked in this morning to a little marsh spot. No big expectations but it will be an enjoyable sunrise.

Comment

There were birds on all tanks this morning and resting birds on the small lake I scout yesterday afternoon. These tanks are all undisturbed, mostly. I use them as a migration gauage.

Comment

It was slow in the marsh. Shot 10 divers and a teal

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          It was slow in the marsh. Shot 10 divers and a teal
          Congrats! sounds like a great shoot to me!

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            There were birds on all tanks this morning and resting birds on the small lake I scout yesterday afternoon. These tanks are all undisturbed, mostly. I use them as a migration gauage.
            Good To hear! Thanks!

Comment

Saw maybe 10% of the birds I usually see in the coast. Only a dumb Hollywood did it good and my older brother was able to get his first. 2 other flyby that survived the pass were all we had within range of us. Having a dog was so much easier than walking out to retrieve it myself lol

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone hunt any larger tanks (10ish+ acres) in north Texas, Archer County or surrounding areas.

Me and my brother are likely going to head up to hunt in a couple weeks on a buddies property now that deer season will be closed. He doesn't duck hunt but says "I got ducks".

Do you guys that have hunted these tanks typically throw smaller spreads or put out a bunch of dekes. He's got two larger tanks so hoping we can get a couple good hunts during a weekend since I know once we start shooting they won't be hanging around long.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                  Does anyone hunt any larger tanks (10ish+ acres) in north Texas, Archer County or surrounding areas.

Me and my brother are likely going to head up to hunt in a couple weeks on a buddies property now that deer season will be closed. He doesn't duck hunt but says "I got ducks".

Do you guys that have hunted these tanks typically throw smaller spreads or put out a bunch of dekes. He's got two larger tanks so hoping we can get a couple good hunts during a weekend since I know once we start shooting they won't be hanging around long.
                  Just depends on what is being seen on the ponds. Ive put any where between 5 decoys to 4/5 dozen decoys. If you have Canada or speck goose floaters dont be afraid to throw those out also. This time of the year ducks will start pairing up so you may consider a smaller spread and set some up in drake/hen pairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex21 View Post
                    Just depends on what is being seen on the ponds. Ive put any where between 5 decoys to 4/5 dozen decoys. If you have Canada or speck goose floaters dont be afraid to throw those out also. This time of the year ducks will start pairing up so you may consider a smaller spread and set some up in drake/hen pairs.
                    We'll be throwing pairs this late in the season, just wasn't sure if the trend on the tanks was larger or smaller spreads. Noted on the goose floaters. Thanks.

Comment

South Texas, last year I hunted a 5 acre pond. Set out small groups with occasional pairs. Always limited. If the birds were in the other side, I'd shoot up in the air. They'd take off, circle and usually came to my spread

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey fellas, got a goose question. How far from Austin would I need to drive to even begin scouting for geese? 2 hours? 3? Head straight to Amarillo?

Just thinking about trying to knock on doors and pick up one goose shoot before the season ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                          Hey fellas, got a goose question. How far from Austin would I need to drive to even begin scouting for geese? 2 hours? 3? Head straight to Amarillo?

Just thinking about trying to knock on doors and pick up one goose shoot before the season ends.
                          Do a conservation snow goose hunt. By far the most bang for your buck.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                            Do a conservation snow goose hunt. By far the most bang for your buck.
                            I presume you're talking about guided? I'm just asking how far I need to drive to even find birds. Austin is a bit of a dead zone for geese. I was planning to do the leg work of getting access myself. At least, that was my grand plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                              I presume you're talking about guided? I'm just asking how far I need to drive to even find birds. Austin is a bit of a dead zone for geese. I was planning to do the leg work of getting access myself. At least, that was my grand plan.
                              Abilene over to Big spring(north of I20) would be my guess

Comment

Originally posted by Tex21 View Post
                                Abilene over to Big spring(north of I20) would be my guess
                                Roger that, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X