No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killed our speck limit today with a bonus Ross. Very few Canada geese around Haskell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by OTL91 View Post

Not quite all green but they don’t only band drakes… seventy degrees with sun and wind made them act right on the public marsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nice stack quack lord

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Killed our speck limit today with a bonus Ross. Very few Canada geese around Haskell.

Congrats on another great hunt!

Comment

I hate to see the decreased amount of geese around Haskell. Use to go out there every season for at least one good goose whacking.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
            I hate to see the decreased amount of geese around Haskell. Use to go out there every season for at least one good goose whacking.
            Outfitter said they had a vad drought that lasted 5-6 years and the Canada geese stopped coming in the big numbers they had before. Still plenty of geese but mostly specks.

Comment

I don't think they have the peanut production in the area that they use to.

Comment

We hunted with castaway lodge Saturday morning and it was SLOW we ended up killing 10 between 6 good mixed bag of birds but very little action on the coast for us. Now I got the bug and want to get into it! Looking for some decoys and any tips y’all want to offer.

Comment

3 man limit pretty quick this morning! Took longer for em to blow across the pond so we could pick them up then it did to shoot em! Had probably 200 bird on the water before legal. Little man asked me about every 4 seconds if it was shooting time yet!

I enjoy watching the bird work but I’m not mad at em like I used to be.

Comment

Outfitter said they had a vad drought that lasted 5-6 years and the Canada geese stopped coming in the big numbers they had before. Still plenty of geese but mostly specks.

Used to lease a playa lake and some fields in Haskell county, we were out there for 12 years and only hunted 6 of those due to dry conditions. Lack of consistent rain has definitely changed the numbers. Declining peanut production crushed the duck hunting.

At its peak, I'd put Haskell in the top 5 nationwide for waterfowl. There many, many days we'd have a limit of ducks and geese in less than an hour. You could afford to be picky.

Comment

Anyone seeing consistent mallards? I hunt SW Arkansas and we had limits almost every day last week, but only an occasional green head.

Comment

Who knows of some public land duck hunting around San Antonio area?

Comment

Tried my first coastal hunt this weekend. Friday afternoon we were covered in redheads and pintail. Very few of other types. I was able to get one sort video of the redheads coming in to the spread. Those lacking were able to get their birds then.
                          Saturday morning was nothing but pintail. I couldn't get any other species to come in. Only 1 redhead and 1 teal came in. I'd never seen pintail land in the spread before, but these were doing it good. Too bad we each got our one before the mature drakes came in. Our group was not too picky and I'm known for always getting the hen pintail lol.
                          Overall, it was a fun couple hunts, the first could've had a 4 man, but they couldn't really hit anything. The second hunt, well not much opportunity, but still fun.
                          Hated walking in the knee deep mud and had to idle about a mile to get out cause it was too shallow to get on plane, but I think my new to me boat did pretty good. I'll go out there again. The fun was almost worth the amount of work involved lol

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                            Tried my first coastal hunt this weekend. Friday afternoon we were covered in redheads and pintail. Very few of other types. I was able to get one sort video of the redheads coming in to the spread. Those lacking were able to get their birds then.
                            Saturday morning was nothing but pintail. I couldn't get any other species to come in. Only 1 redhead and 1 teal came in. I'd never seen pintail land in the spread before, but these were doing it good. Too bad we each got our one before the mature drakes came in. Our group was not too picky and I'm known for always getting the hen pintail lol.
                            Overall, it was a fun couple hunts, the first could've had a 4 man, but they couldn't really hit anything. The second hunt, well not much opportunity, but still fun.
                            Hated walking in the knee deep mud and had to idle about a mile to get out cause it was too shallow to get on plane, but I think my new to me boat did pretty good. I'll go out there again. The fun was almost worth the amount of work involved lol

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
                            Congrats!

Comment

Slow for us again in the marsh. Very little shooting in any direction. We had 6 between 2 of us & Very happy to get that!

Comment

Congrats to all for the weekend hunts. Fixing the boat over the split. Cleaned the carburetor. Running better but it's surging when the choke is closed. Dunno if that is the float or the jets. It's runnable with just a little choke. Definitely more power now. May try to scout and this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X