Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Training for Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    What they said plus put the dog on every deer you can. Even dead in tracks deer. He needs to understand the end game.
    yep. I put my dog on every deer we shoot, even if we see it fall.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    If your putting enough blood for your neighbors to see you aren’t pushing your pup.
    Solid points

Comment

Start with easy tracks, liver etc with high praise. Start making harder once pup puts it together. Just start working up from there, eventually you can ween off of blood all together. I know use blood sporadically and use deer that ran with the interdigital gland. But, Tracking dogs for wounded deer is the best book around.

Comment

This ^^^^^ thread will tell you everything you could ever want to know on the subject. I highly recommend the book mentioned too

Comment

My Lacy was pretty easy. I read the book.
          I save blood on every deer that I shoot. Heck, when I thaw out deer meat to cook, I keep the blood that drains off.
          I also bought bull blood from a slaughter house and used it to.
          I started her young, started small with short tracks.
          I haven't done any training trails in a the last couple years but I could put her on a deer tom.
          Agree with getting the dog on as many deer as possible.
          I know how my Lacy is now and can read her body language to know what she is doing when tracking. I know when she is on the trail, I know when she isn't. I know how she acts when she finds the prize at the end and I haven't seen it yet.
          It really is pretty cool to watch them.

Comment

Working...
          X