No announcement yet.

Bow vs Crossbow - hunting from ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If ya gona practice lots Compound ..If crossbow is set up accurately you can get away with way less practice.As far as range goes 400fps same weight arrow /bolt ,have about same trajectory..So 30/40 yards is ok with either...

People in general can shoot CB more accurately due to there rifle shooting experience...Scopes, trigger etc...The real booger is range est (trajectory) them arrows falling like a rock (kinda)...And Time for target to react to sound of shot......Neither Bow or CB are silent (some more than others )
    Last edited by cva34; 07-10-2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

If possible, find an experienced hunter you know to show you what they do. Read Chuck Adams. He hunts from the ground with success. A Big Mike pop-up would be a good start since you can easily carry it on your back and move it to different spots. You will enjoy a good compound bow more if you like to shoot bows. A crossbow is like shooting a scoped 22 rifle at close range, and there is no "practice time" to put in. A crossbow is much more dangerous, harder to cock and set up in the dark, and can cut off fingers and thumbs. You can shoot 3d events for fun with your compound.

Here are some basics:

Make sure your hunting spot is in shadow, cutting a hole in the brush with loppers to darken your profile, and uphill from the trail if possible. Morning sun and afternoon sun are opposite so you will need multiple stands, both for sun and different wind directions.
      Make sure your walk in approach will not wind or spook deer. Set up at a 90 degree angle from the line of travel so the deer are not looking directly at you. Interior fence crossing funnels are good because some bucks will put their heads down to crawl under, giving you a chance to draw back your bow. There is nothing like a buck walking in front of your ground blind at point black range-especially when you and the buck see each other at the same time.

Comment

I've been an archer all my life but last year was my first year to hunt with a crossbow out in Kansas. Can't wait to do it again! So I would say go with a new crossbow!!

Comment

Working...
        X