Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If eyeballs on televisions during games equals money, and money is the be all/end all for conferences, this chart may be a clue as to which schools are the most attractive addition. Check out the number of viewers when not playing OU or UT

[ATTACH]1056756[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
      In other news, Vanderbilt is stoked to no longer be the worst team in the SEC.
      You might catch a few if you didn't troll so hard. You'll get someone to bite eventually. Just be ready to be little brother again once Texas steps into the SEC. Few things stand the test of time. Sun rises, taxes, and aggy will always be little step brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        And you ags keep saying **** like “it ain’t like it used to be”, and that you’re going to win something, at some point… But here we are and it’s just like it always was, and you still haven’t won **** in 8 decades. And given all of that, you still have the gall to talk **** about others…it’s lame, and it’s exhausting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        DM is spot on as usual. Some of you aggies try way way to hard.

It's been almost 10 years...no conference championship no natty. What exactly have yall done to deem yourselves as relevant?

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
          Not wrong. TCU does open the landscape a little more DFW recruiting. And their endowment is drastically more than a majority of the PAC schools but that's not gonna get it done. I personally don't think the PAC would take TCU. One thing I disagree with most on is I don't think these schools are gonna try to sell themselves as a group. It's every man for themselves
          I thought TCU was the most effed by this, but the "PAC 12 needs more central time zone games" perspective might have some legs. The new PAC 12 commish probably understands the ramifications of new players like Hulu and Amazon better than any other commissioner and has a diverse enough background to get creative. It might be that with streaming media services starving for live content, he can get creative and make a deal that both gets them coverage and dollars, by leveraging an expanded conference that can provide more content. He also won't be as bound by tradition and the status quo as is typical for the office, which is good for this era.

Now, he will have to be able to sell his vision to school presidents that are bound by tradition and the status quo. Those presidents probably don't love the marriage of football and academics.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
            Texas isn't going to come in and start winning SEC championships right away, but the idea that they can't come in and attain A&M's level of mediocrity in the SEC is just a really bad take.

One of A&M's problems as a program is that they don't understand what winning means.

Let's break this down into Tiers of Relevance as they make for easy comparisons. These tiers are from the perspective of major college programs that have a talent advantage in 70-80% of the games they play.

Tier 1. Winning: Tier 1 is winning conference championships and national championships.

Tier 2. Contending: The next level down is consistently playing in conference championship games and the New Years Six bowl games.

Tier 3. Treading Water - The next level is not sucking. This is the top 40% of bowl teams that have a reasonable chance to win their bowl game and aren't in the above tiers.

Tier 4: Sucking - everyone else. Bottom tier bowl teams as well as those that just suck consistently.

A&M, for all of their positive program trajectory, hasn't won anything. If you want to make the argument that A&M is currently a little better than Texas, fine. I won't argue with that because the difference is so small that it doesn't matter. Neither of them are contenders. They are both in Tier 3. They are both on an upward trajectory that has the same angle, though the Aggies are a little higher on the graph.

A&M is punching their weight so far in the SEC. They are an also ran. In a year where really weird **** happens, like Johnny Manziel or COVID, they put up a good, but not really contending record. They have maybe two wins against SEC teams that were more talented than they are. They have not yet aggregated enough talent or have enough of a coaching advantage to really challenge the big boys yet. The biggest things they have going for them is stability in the coaching staff and SEC! SEC! SEC!

Jimbo is a very good recruiter and a very sound coach. Offensively, he sets the floor for performance relatively high, but doesn't really give you a high ceiling in the current offensive era of college football. He can certainly milk the most out of poor talent, but I don't think he can make good talent into great offense. He seems like a genuinely good dude.

He is a lot like Mack Brown. He is 80% of Mack as a recruiter and 120% of Mack as an offensive coordinator. I haven't seen enough Aggie football to know how he is at game planning, in game adjustments, or game day coaching, but I'd bet their strengths and weaknesses mostly balance there.

Texas hasn't had any of that steadiness. Tom Herman was a polarizing dude and had both ups and downs in all of the above aspects of coaching. His most consistent attribute was being wildly inconsistent. But, he took a roster that was horrible beyond imagination when Strong left and turned it into a pretty deep roster in most positions. It is lacking in top end talent in some places, but Herman's regime did an amazing job of finding under recruited options to fill holes.

So, maybe Sark is the guy that can give Texas that consistency and maybe he isn't, but A&M doesn't have a talent advantage over Texas. With this staff, I don't think that A&M has a coaching advantage outside of head coach experience and overall stability.
            Part of that"winning" comparison I was making is that we are already in the conference UT, apparently, wants to get into. The Big12 is done the minute Oklahoma and Texas leave. Your other points are good points but there's also another side to winning. There's winning as far as going from tier to tier or going from one tier to the next and continuing to build upward. Which is where A&M is now. UT football has been on the decline and I don't think it was " just the coaching". Who was the coach when y'all won it all? Where is he at now and why? I think the answer to that question is what the biggest problem is at UT. Part of that tier 1 you talked about is continuing to stay in that level. Auburn, Alabama, Ohio State, LSU type schools. Hopefully Sark is that guy for y'all. But I guarantee he is bringing a whole different culture to the admin side of the program and we'll see how it works out!

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
              Part of that"winning" comparison I was making is that we are already in the conference UT, apparently, wants to get into. The Big12 is done the minute Oklahoma and Texas leave. Your other points are good points but there's also another side to winning. There's winning as far as going from tier to tier or going from one tier to the next and continuing to build upward. Which is where A&M is now. UT football has been on the decline and I don't think it was " just the coaching". Who was the coach when y'all won it all? Where is he at now and why? I think the answer to that question is what the biggest problem is at UT. Part of that tier 1 you talked about is continuing to stay in that level. Auburn, Alabama, Ohio State, LSU type schools. Hopefully Sark is that guy for y'all. But I guarantee he is bringing a whole different culture to the admin side of the program and we'll see how it works out!
              Since you are so much in the know, what is the "problem" at UT if it isn't the coaching?

Comment

You shouldn't think so highly of yourself.

What? Where did pull me thinking highly of myself out of saying you got mad at Dale? and me then replying in not so many words that its sure looks like you got mad.

Is this a redirect to coverup your overreaction .....

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  If eyeballs on televisions during games equals money, and money is the be all/end all for conferences, this chart may be a clue as to which schools are the most attractive addition. Check out the number of viewers when not playing OU or UT

[ATTACH]1056756[/ATTACH]
                  LOL Kansas numbers go up. Honestly don’t know how accurate that chart is, where did that come from

Comment

I thought TCU was the most effed by this, but the "PAC 12 needs more central time zone games" perspective might have some legs. The new PAC 12 commish probably understands the ramifications of new players like Hulu and Amazon better than any other commissioner and has a diverse enough background to get creative. It might be that with streaming media services starving for live content, he can get creative and make a deal that both gets them coverage and dollars, by leveraging an expanded conference that can provide more content. He also won't be as bound by tradition and the status quo as is typical for the office, which is good for this era.

Now, he will have to be able to sell his vision to school presidents that are bound by tradition and the status quo. Those presidents probably don't love the marriage of football and academics.
                    Being the smallest school, yes. I’d say Baylor’s only in a better spot than them solely because the just won a national championship in sport #2

Comment

Well, previous administrations at UT were not football first from the BOR down and were not willing to do what it takes to be consistently great. This one is.

Texas isn't on a downward trajectory. They are a much better football team than any of the post Colt Mack Brown teams and certainly miles better than the end of the Charlie Strong Era. That graph might have some peaks and valleys, but it is still trending upward.

The Aggies have been Tier 3 for most of their history and all of it since the demise of the SWC.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                        Since you are so much in the know, what is the "problem" at UT if it isn't the coaching?
                        Recruiting is one of them. If it wasn't why would you want to get out of the Big12 and into the SEC? I know there's a lot more reasons than football but I would imagine that was a BIG part of it. We discussed the GIANT difference between Big12 draft pics vs SEC draft pics, earlier on the thread. SEC has a LOT more. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was like 65 draft pics from the SEC and 25 from Big12. I also think the atmosphere at/around the school may have something to do with it. The democrats are destroying Austin like they do everywhere they go! The police force is getting "de-funded" there's homeless people everywhere.... You name it, every problem that goes along with being in a democratic city.

You tell me why the program has been on a decline. UT won the NC then fired the coach!! So by your, coach being the problem, reasoning doesn't make any sense to me. I may be dense but not that dense!

Comment

Don't disagree with this. TCU has also distanced themselves over the years from 'the Church', which may slightly help. Athletically, they have handled the PAC fairly handily over the last couple of decades. And surprisingly have recruited out West quite a bit in the last several years so there is a slight 'presecnce' at least. I'm not sure any of it will be enough. If they pull it off somehow(any major conference) it would likely be GP's biggest win of his career and he could ride off into the sunset and strum his guitar lol

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                            The huge miss in your assessment is no one in any quantity wants to live in bryan/college station. lol
                            Have you even been to Austin in the last decade?
                            I’ll take BCS over homeless, feces in street, traffic, Californians.

Comment

Here's the paper tiger list, it's coaching...

In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.

Comment

I typically try to just read and not comment but sometimes the aggy is just too strong to overlook....

Show me one of my posts where I said we were going to WIN IT ALL or how much better we are than UT.
                                It is literally on the same page although it is consistent with your aggy glorification from throughout the thread...

The more I think about it the more I think it's a big gamble for UT to join the SEC. I hope, for ya'lls sake it doesn't bite you in the rear! Oklahoma and UT joins the SEC and A&M is in the SEC. OK is winning A&M is winning. Texas we'll see what they are doing this year. But kids these days want to win and win now. They wamt to be in a winning program. That's going to be even more prominant now they are going to be getting paid the more they win. So UT better show up and be competing for the SEC championship on day one or it could get real bad for UT in a hurry! OK and A&M may take more of the Texas born recruits than UT can deal with. I'm not certain it wouldn't be better for UT to start off in a conference, on their own, and try to grow their success through the success of a growing conference.. They are going to be somewhat limited in the SEC from a recruiting standpoint. Your talking about competing with Georgia, Alabama, Florida, LSU, A&M and Oklahoma for recruits...........
                                Newsflash, of the schools you listed directly above 1 of these isn't like the other. All are state flagship schools and 1 is not. And you are talking about another that does fit into that group. Facts are hard.

This sums you up about as well as anything I've read on this thread:

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                I mean UT did exactly what yall are singing from the mountain tops about last year.....but we beat an SEC Georgia team doing it and y'all beat North Carolina. Texas sucks when they get that done but A&M is a new super power. Weird how that works
                                Texas fired their coach after a 7-3 year that ended with putting a butt whippin' on their bowl opponent and aggy went 9-1 beating the #13 team in the country. That bowl game puts you about where Texas was in 2019 (whipping the #11 team in the country) and I didn't mention the GA Sugar Bowl win, other than quoting Smart. Has Texas played up to their standard? No and their coach was fired for it. But you claim a gap that is miles wide that just isn't there. A great year (where you beat a total of 2 ranked teams) no doubt but according to your delusional tone aggy is the '85 Bears and Texas is Rice...

Given what we know right now if aggy and Texas were to play the first game of the season I would favor aggy by 3 if at Texas and aggy by 7 if at Pyle Field. Later in the season who the hell knows, especially with BOTH teams having a new qb that could **** the bed and many other new key components. Add in Texas' new staff and who knows. They may struggle or they may be a 3 loss team by the end of the year that nobody wants to play. Neither you or I know which will happen for either team.

So the coaching staff can be terrible but recruit good players? Y'all are confusing.
                                You call yourself aggy and yet it is like you have ZERO recollection of Sumlin. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                                X