This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
    I read something about the AAC becoming the 5th so called power 5. Something about the success of a few teams the last few years and the teams added.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    This is exactly what is going on behind closed doors. AAC and what’s left of Big 12 are discussing some form of combining and becoming a Power 5 conference. The problem is that there is no one to give them a definitive answer and who do you trust? Don’t think it will happen but one can hope.

Comment

Originally posted by narco1 View Post
      Kansas obviously holds value in basketball and that could land them in the Big 10. I think there is a possibility with UT & OU moving this could create a huge domino effect for other conferences "poaching" in an attempt to match the SEC in football since it is the biggest market.

Time will tell
      PAC is the weakest, I could see BIG 10 poaching USC, you could also see some of the Biggest BIG 10 football schools defecting to the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        This is my understanding as well. This is the only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope for TCU. If 4 of these teams find landing spots, they can dissolve the conference and TX/OU don't have to pay anything. The CDC connection could ultimately pay off for TCU in that aspect. Unless TX/OU think they can get out of it legally........
        If I am the rest of the schools, I play in a make shift conference until 2025 making TX/OU pay the 70-75 mil to get out. I don't make it easy on them. Meanwhile, negotiate with another conference to find a landing spot.

Comment

Originally posted by raider19 View Post
          If I am the rest of the schools, I play in a make shift conference until 2025 making TX/OU pay the 70-75 mil to get out. I don't make it easy on them. Meanwhile, negotiate with another conference to find a landing spot.
          That would be nice but that's a dangerous game of chicken IMO.

Comment

Agree with you. It's a gamble

Comment

Yup...I would be more concerned about making the future solid than making it hard on the past...

Comment

Agree with you. It's a gamble
                It isn't a gamble for those remaining schools, it is a death penalty. They need to move now too.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                  I think it was a genius move on part of the SEC. I'm worried about my little Buckeyes now. We make a ton of money with the Big 10, but with the eventual domination of the SEC changing the landscape, I fear just sitting back and doing nothing.

Worst would be the idiot West Coast market crap. I absolutely hate all of that nonsense with the PAC 12. They are horrible. 9-10 pm kickoffs with teams on the east coast timezone seems like a disaster.
                  It could be a nightmare if the Horns and OU get a higher bid somewhere else!

Comment

The problem is that the PAC12, B1G, and ACC don't really need to add anyone right now. Now they might get the fever and starting adding teams all over the place, but I think that both the ACC and B1G will probably just sit back and wait.

The remaining teams in the Big 12 don't need those conferences doing a bunch of data driven analysis (outside of Tech maybe) about their true value as conference partners. Membership in any of the remaining conferences will provide long term stability for these teams and that has more value than the difference between what they could make from exit buy outs in the Big 12 and what a new conference will provide.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                      It could be a nightmare if the Horns and OU get a higher bid somewhere else!
                      It won't matter. Those two are partners and the only conference that could make an equal or better offer has already **** the bed on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                        It isn't a gamble for those remaining schools, it is a death penalty. They need to move now too.
                        Maybe, time will tell. I think conferences adding teams is a very slow moving train. I just don't see them adding some schools just to be the nice guy and give them landing spots. They will have to bring something to the table. i.e - fan base, TV ratings, etc. Wins and loses mean very little in this thing. All about the dollars

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                          Depends if there is more money to be made by holding together from OU/UT exit or joining another conference. I think I read somewhere the bylaws state as few as only 4 teams can remain and still receive exit fees from the others. It would be in the best interest of the teams leaving to help find landing spots for at least 5 of the remaining teams.
                          If I was a betting man it will crater after this year or next year at the latest. Tech, TCU and OSU will try to package themselves out West of I was guessing. No telling with Kansas. ISU, KSU and especially Baylor are screwed. They have nothing to offer. Nothing. No history, no money, no TV sets. Nothing. Feel fornthe first two but will be happy tonsee Baylor get justice for allowing rapes to repeatedly occur while knowing they were occurring.

Comment

Maybe, time will tell. I think conferences adding teams is a very slow moving train. I just don't see them adding some schools just to be the nice guy and give them landing spots. They will have to bring something to the table. i.e - fan base, TV ratings, etc. Wins and loses mean very little in this thing. All about the dollars
                            Who could they add that would make a difference. Its all about money and there is notna school that provides TVs and money that would move to Big12. None of the remaining Big12 teams have anything to offer?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              The problem is that the PAC12, B1G, and ACC don't really need to add anyone right now. Now they might get the fever and starting adding teams all over the place, but I think that both the ACC and B1G will probably just sit back and wait.

The remaining teams in the Big 12 don't need those conferences doing a bunch of data driven analysis (outside of Tech maybe) about their true value as conference partners. Membership in any of the remaining conferences will provide long term stability for these teams and that has more value than the difference between what they could make from exit buy outs in the Big 12 and what a new conference will provide.
                              I agree with you. They are not going to run out and add someone overnight just to do it. I think Techs fanbase and TV ratings will put them in a good spot to land somewhere good. Where that is, who knows at this point. I think OK State is in a similar spot. I hate to say it and hope I'm wrong, but I think the smaller private schools are in a tougher spot.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                                It won't matter. Those two are partners and the only conference that could make an equal or better offer has already **** the bed on this one.
                                The more I think about it the more I think it's a big gamble for UT to join the SEC. I hope, for ya'lls sake it doesn't bite you in the rear! Oklahoma and UT joins the SEC and A&M is in the SEC. OK is winning A&M is winning. Texas we'll see what they are doing this year. But kids these days want to win and win now. They wamt to be in a winning program. That's going to be even more prominant now they are going to be getting paid the more they win. So UT better show up and be competing for the SEC championship on day one or it could get real bad for UT in a hurry! OK and A&M may take more of the Texas born recruits than UT can deal with. I'm not certain it wouldn't be better for UT to start off in a conference, on their own, and try to grow their success through the success of a growing conference.. They are going to be somewhat limited in the SEC from a recruiting standpoint. Your talking about competing with Georgia, Alabama, Florida, LSU, A&M and Oklahoma for recruits...........

Comment

Working...
                                X