Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Trophy Hunting is Expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
    And a whole lotta wounded deer running around as a result of inexperienced archery hunters
    A weapon is a weapon. If you're not proficient with it, it doesn't matter if it's a rifle or a bow or a rock. Guys shoot down deer every year with a rifle that they don't find.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
      Man just come to our place and kill a 160-200 in deer for 6500 and have fun. You don’t have to worry about your buddies getting mad cause you shot “their” deer. You don’t have work cook or clean. Much easier and more effective way to kill a trophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      lots to be said about this type of hunt.

I hunted for 20 years in South Texas. In that time i took two "trophy" deer...most were culls. Worked a ton on the place, lot of blood, sweat and tears, but the juice was not worth the squeeze when it came to putting animals on the wall. It has become some kind of endearing theme where people go extended lengths between shooting a trophy animal...and they talk about it with pride.

Hunting whitetail on a lease in Texas has become way too political with trying to appease everyone, grow big deer, who is pulling their weight and who isn't, etc. It got old for me a long time ago.

Now I hunt whitetail in the hill country where there are no rules except don't shoot immature bucks, just as a way to pass the time between hunting hunting out west and other destination type hunts.

I'm going to ohio this year so me and my wife can hopefully whack a monster, get to see new scenery, have a great, fun hunt with none of the time investment and probably will end up with a bill that is less than a south texas season lease when you factor in Feed, Fuel and other accessories.
      Last edited by txtrophy85; 07-02-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
        A weapon is a weapon. If you're not proficient with it, it doesn't matter if it's a rifle or a bow or a rock. Guys shoot down deer every year with a rifle that they don't find.
        Agreed, but it takes 10 times the work to become proficient with a bow. Lots of weekend warriors are not willing to put in the work required to become a proficient bowhunter. There are more opportunities to make a mistake when shooting a bow. I think we can all agree with this.

Comment

Agreed, but it takes 10 times the work to become proficient with a bow. Lots of weekend warriors are not willing to put in the work required to become a proficient bowhunter. There are more opportunities to make a mistake when shooting a bow. I think we can all agree with this.
          true, but once you get good with it you are deadly. Range is always going to be a factor but in the hands of a capable archer compound bows are extremely effective.

in alot of states archery harvest is significantly more than with firearms now.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            What is the optimum carrying for the property you hunt?

What was the utilization rate of second and third choice foods?
            Sorry just seeing this... and the current carrying capacity is 1:12 acres. We could handle 1:8 and still not be over populated. The utilization rates of second and third choice browse is minimal. The property's number one goal is Timber management/harvest, with deer hunting a distant second. So every year, there's anywhere between 6-10% rotated into prescribed burning and timber harvests. Our first choice browse has been in abundance, especially these last few years with an overly wet spring. Honeysuckle, Greenbrier, Yaupon, and Dewberry/Blackberry are prevalent all throughout the property.

Comment

I'll agree with you if archers decide to use a vertical bow. It does take a lot of practice to become proficient with a compound... but IMO there's no difference in a rifle and a modern crossbow with a scope on it.
              If anything, it would be more difficult to account for wind drift with a rifle at distance, versus using a crossbow at normal hunting distances (under 40 yards) when talking about making mistakes.
              I would think "weekend warriors" would go that route to shorten their learning curve and be easier to use compared to trying a compound.

Comment

Boy that's the truth.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=SabineHunter;15678842]I ain't that mad at deer and I certainly don't want to be a deer farmer, and have someone telling me what I can or can't shoot. I will continue to hunt E. Texas and I have a target 160 inch way back there in SNF. Way I look at it, even though it's work getting there and dragging it out, it's a whole lot less than a lease.[/QUOTE

I can relate to that. I cant stand what deer hunting has turned into. One of the reasons I gave it up a few years ago. Complete BS what they have done to it.

Comment

If archery only works so well why isn’t Hagerman loaded with big bucks? Overhunted?

Comment

You need to be ok with lots of work without any promise of reward. If you are an “instant gratification” type of person, it will never work. The people that grow big native low fence bucks are in love with the process. The time, money, and effort spent are all an enjoyable experience to them. It’s all a part of it. Most on here that say it isn’t worth it are only in it to fill a wall. If you are serious about it, you can find the right place. Expect every aspect to be a process. Tackle each obstacle one at a time. See what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                        You need to be ok with lots of work without any promise of reward. If you are an “instant gratification” type of person, it will never work. The people that grow big native low fence bucks are in love with the process. The time, money, and effort spent are all an enjoyable experience to them. It’s all a part of it. Most on here that say it isn’t worth it are only in it to fill a wall. If you are serious about it, you can find the right place. Expect every aspect to be a process. Tackle each obstacle one at a time. See what happens.
                        My dad hunted hunted Mexico for this exact reason. It took 20 years for him to kill a 160" deer. Saw a few giants we couldn't get to or saw them for a split second crossing the sendero. We knew of some guys that were killing GIANT bucks every year on ranches close to us or ranches we had hunted.. Come to find out they were using thermal scopes to kill them at night. Instant gratification and killing them for the horns vs hunting them and outsmarting them..... To each his own I guess....

Comment

Sorry just seeing this... and the current carrying capacity is 1:12 acres. We could handle 1:8 and still not be over populated. The utilization rates of second and third choice browse is minimal. The property's number one goal is Timber management/harvest, with deer hunting a distant second. So every year, there's anywhere between 6-10% rotated into prescribed burning and timber harvests. Our first choice browse has been in abundance, especially these last few years with an overly wet spring. Honeysuckle, Greenbrier, Yaupon, and Dewberry/Blackberry are prevalent all throughout the property.
                          Are those numbers based on supplemental feeding? They seem high for a timber management/harvest operation. Most I have been involved with are closer to 1:20 acres or possibly a little higher.

When we we down to at 1:40 acres, we were still getting up to 20% utilization of 2nd choice browse.
                          Last edited by Greenheadless; 07-03-2021, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            If archery only works so well why isn’t Hagerman loaded with big bucks? Overhunted?
                            I can't speak on behalf of Hagerman cuz I don't consider that East Texas and am not familiar with that area. Although I'd bet/venture to say that Hagerman has better than average quality and more bucks than any run of the mill east texas place that's rifle hunted.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              Are those numbers based on supplemental feeding? They seem high for a timber management/harvest operation. Most I have been involved with are closer to 1:20 acres or possibly a little higher.

When we we down to at 1:40 acres, we were still getting up to 20% utilization of 2nd choice browse.
                              No sir those numbers were not based on supplemental feeding.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                                lots to be said about this type of hunt.

I hunted for 20 years in South Texas. In that time i took two "trophy" deer...most were culls. Worked a ton on the place, lot of blood, sweat and tears, but the juice was not worth the squeeze when it came to putting animals on the wall. It has become some kind of endearing theme where people go extended lengths between shooting a trophy animal...and they talk about it with pride.

Hunting whitetail on a lease in Texas has become way too political with trying to appease everyone, grow big deer, who is pulling their weight and who isn't, etc. It got old for me a long time ago.

Now I hunt whitetail in the hill country where there are no rules except don't shoot immature bucks, just as a way to pass the time between hunting hunting out west and other destination type hunts.

I'm going to ohio this year so me and my wife can hopefully whack a monster, get to see new scenery, have a great, fun hunt with none of the time investment and probably will end up with a bill that is less than a south texas season lease when you factor in Feed, Fuel and other accessories.

If everyone shot a trophy every year then how special would that be?

The reason big deer are special is because they’re rare. A native low fence 160 is relatively rare. It takes work to get them there.

Comment

Working...
                                X