No announcement yet.

Help Me Plan My First Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m will start by saying I’m no elk hunter but would like to one day, but Phelps game calls makes a metal bugle tube that you can get what they call an external EZ bugler that slips on the end of it and is supposed to be for people that can’t run a diaphragm call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You need more than a hoochie momma to call cows. Look into a Cow Girl or something similar. They are easy to learn.
      Listen more than call; and like stated, raking trees is really affective in areas with lots of hunting pressure, everybody calls.

Comment

Thanks for the comments yall!

Comment

You'll be surprised at the sounds elk can make, even big bulls can sound like someone just learning to call.
          Cows too but learn not to make the alarm bark by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            You'll be surprised at the sounds elk can make, even big bulls can sound like someone just learning to call.
            Cows too but learn not to make the alarm bark by accident.
            Thats the truth, I hunted a growler for 4 days one time just never could get him to leave the brush he was in. We were within 50 yards multiple times and days. on the last evening we had him screaming at 60 yards in the brush but he wanted us to come to him, couldn't cross the open area though. All of a sudden this bull starts making puppy whimpers and sounding like a little bull trying to get us to come to him after growling at us all week. He was a giant and knew the game well. I laughed after that evening and told that old bull touche, never heard him again after that.

Comment

Updates?

Comment

Hoping he's in the middle of 'em .
                They have been bugling up this way I hear, I don't get to hunt elk til rifle this year so not out for archery.

Hope it's not too hot down there, that can really affect activity during the day.

Comment

I saw on FB that he called in a bull on day 2 and sailed an arrow just under his belly. Had to be very exciting since it is his first hunt and he is DIY/solo. That in itself is a major success. As most first time elk hunters, he thought it was closer then it was. Haven't heard anything since then. It has been 3/4 days since that update.

Comment

Success on the calling then !

Everyone should shoot some arrows in camp or stump shoot a few in the area to get your eyes dialed in on what ranges look like out of your comfort zone, backyard.

Comment

I saw a teaser on FB that he hit pay dirt..........Update your thread, Colton! Congrats buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                        I saw a teaser on FB that he hit pay dirt..........Update your thread, Colton! Congrats buddy.
                        I saw the same thing…. I bet he’s either too sore to update or passed out on the mountain somewhere haha

Comment

Congrats Colton!
                          Looks like he had a long night getting an elk off the mountain.

I imagine he is saving energy up for the drive home, or is already driving

Comment

I saw his write up on Facebook. I am pretty stoked for him. First time elk success is no easy task. Especially DIY, Solo.

Comment

Congrats again on the Bull. Heck a bow kill.

Comment

In for the rest of the story…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X