Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Please give me your thoughts electric buggy vs gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't been able to get too much info on this, but I've had several Club Car dealers tell me that the electric golf carts generally come with three speed settings from the factor. The first one is around 5 mph for use in heavy traffic areas. Then the most common one is around 15 mph. There's a third one that's closer to 25 - 30 mph. You can request a speed setting if you buy it new coming from Club Car, but most dealerships aren't able to re-program that speed setting and the factory doesn't seem to be too crazy to do it either. I would think this applies about the same to most of the brands.

I have a few golf carts that I wish I could bump up closer to 20 mph, but I keep hitting road blocks with the different dealerships I talk to about this.

Comment

We ran a battery cart, but after walking back to camp a couple of times, we decided to go gas this time. Not as quiet not smell free. But plenty power and goes anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        I’m not understanding why everyone wants a quiet vehicle. Other than hunting hogs. I want the deer to hear me coming. And I want my corn feeder to make a loud racket. Deer come a running when I spin my feeder.
        In south Texas yes, in Kansas, Oklahoma or east Texas no. Especially when hunting smaller properties. My Navarro co and Oklahoma deer don’t all come to feeders. And on a smaller property you don’t want the deer to know your there so stealth is your friend.

Comment

For the OP I have had both in different variations and on different scenarios. If 1000 or less acres for hunting I prefer electric as long as you have a good source to charge. If 2000+ acre I lean toward gas. I’m Kansas or Oklahoma I’d go electric. If money is no worry I’d go ranger ev but a really well built cart will do all you need for a lot less money. Also replacement parts for normal golf carts are a lot easier to come by. I like ezgo txt 1999- about 2008. Series carts are my preferred or 2009 and newer AC motor carts like ezgo RXV. The newer the model the more plastic on the cart. That’s why I like older carts.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            I have a gas ez go built in 1989. I rebulit the engine a few years ago for less than $ 400.
            No way a battery operated cart can compete long term
            I did the same to my 89’ and put the 4” jakes lift on it

Comment

I’m not understanding why everyone wants a quiet vehicle. Other than hunting hogs. I want the deer to hear me coming. And I want my corn feeder to make a loud racket. Deer come a running when I spin my feeder.
              I have a small place in the hill country and when I drive thru the pasture the deer will follow the buggy. They know they are about to get an easy meal.

The electric vehicle’s, like anything else, have pros and cons.

On a gravel or hard packed dirt road the tires still make plenty of noise, you don’t hear the engine but it’s not a silent vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                I know 2 folks that have them and haven’t had any issues…
                Maybe your buddy doesn’t take care of his ****…

How do you not take care of an electric vehicle? Plug it in is about all you can do

Batteries on all of them wouldn’t hold a charge and after a few long walks bsck they were gone.

This was around 10-12 years ago so they may have gotten better now, but I still prefer gas at the moment.

Comment

Electric is quiet, but you've got to keep the batteries maintained if you want the best out of them. Gas is louder, but you can usually just hop in and go without range anxiety. They both ride like a buckboard wagon and suck for any kind of rough terrain or mud. Having used both in a previous life as a groundskeeper, I'll take gas.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    In south Texas yes, in Kansas, Oklahoma or east Texas no. Especially when hunting smaller properties. My Navarro co and Oklahoma deer don’t all come to feeders. And on a smaller property you don’t want the deer to know your there so stealth is your friend.
                    Wrong. I have and hunt properties in several geographic regions of Texas. Deer are easy to train. Ring that bell and here they come. It doesn’t happen overnight but if you keep after it they will get trained.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                      I have a small place in the hill country and when I drive thru the pasture the deer will follow the buggy. They know they are about to get an easy meal.
                      There you go!

Comment

Wrong. I have and hunt properties in several geographic regions of Texas. Deer are easy to train. Ring that bell and here they come. It doesn’t happen overnight but if you keep after it they will get trained.
                        Some of us actually work for a living and don't have time to go by the lease daily, weekly, or monthly...
                        What you boys are describing doesn't sound like hunting.

Comment

Maintaining batteries is easy. Just put the charger on a timer to come on once a week and top off the batteries or connect a solar panel if you don’t have electricity.

I could get 20+ miles out of a charge on my Trojan batteries. I should get at least twice that with my Lithium pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It hasn't been mentioned so I'll bring it up. Avoid the Gator TS. Solid axle, and it's got a plastic oil drain nut. Stupidest **** thing ever. I tried to find a metal counterpart a while back but Lawson didn't have anything.

Comment

I just pulled a battery cart in for some battery issues and had a thought come up that I haven't seen mentioned on here.

Golf cart batteries shouldn't be run below about 10% of thier full charge. This is why some come with a battery light in addition to the gauge. From the 10% charge, they need 14-16 hours to get a proper charge. Running them for hours on end without that full charge puts added stress on the batteries which contributes to the increased wear. I see people abusing this at work every day which is another reason I'm team non-fuel injecteion gas.

Comment

Sorry gonna disagree in my areas, corn just isn't a high priority for deer in my areas. Feeders/handcorn and road feeders are the same. So in the case of my two properties its better to get in silently while hunting. these are 100-320ac properties.

Comment

Working...
                                X