Does your kid mow the grass????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
    Me too but your talking about an extremely country boy..... 3 of my 4 boys run barefoot all day with little or no clothes on. They run on hot concrete, hot gravel roads and crushed concrete roads! I feel like a pansy sometimes because I'm like wait a minute, daddy has to put on his flip flops or something!! They fight each other all the time and then fight any other kids that are crazy enough to mess with one of their brothers.... Like a little pack of wolves or something.. I didn't have brothers growing up but it's awesome to watch them interact. One minute they are rolling on the ground fighting each other like cats and dogs and the next minute they are best buddies in the "army" going to defeat the world! I don't get it sometimes but it is what it is.
    Something about your thread just made my day!

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
      Something about your thread just made my day!

Rwc
      That's awesome! Hope you have an even better day!

Comment

Dang, I read through every commit hoping I could find someone to relate too and I failed haha. I pay $165 a month to have someone else do it. My daughter is only 3 but I don't think I'll make her mow, she can help in the house. I grew up mowing a lot at the farm and at my grandpas house, I don't like the wasted time spent mowing so I see the money spent as a good trade off.

Comment

My wife mows the grass, probably cost me at least $100,000 a year.
          dang, thats cheap compared to mine

Comment

My youngest boy started at 6. That's HIS mower. He earns free Room & Board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wl mowing2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	24653979

Click image for larger version

Name:	wl mowing3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	24653980
            Last edited by jlinville; 06-16-2021, 10:24 AM. Reason: Image size

Comment

My Dad paid me to mow our yard growing up. We had a couple acres with a ton of landscape. It was no easy task. It would take upwards of 4 hours to mow, edge, weed trim, and blow. 40% of that was weed trimming around all of the landscape. He paid me $20 less than the previous guy. I never asked to be paid, he just offered. It was my first way of earning money and I thought it was a great lesson. I started when I was 11 or 12 years old. Way before I could have gotten an actual job to earn money.
              Last edited by Arrowthreat; 06-16-2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Wife is getting tired of our lawn guys not mowing often enough and said maybe "we" should do it instead. I said I have no interest in cutting any more grass in my life than I already have. My son is 6 now. If he wants to earn some money soon I will teach him how to do it and throw him some cash.

Never thought a man should work for free. Besides, he'll just use it on something I would've paid for anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  Like the title says.....Do your kids mow your grass? If so do you pay them and if so how much do you pay for how big of yard?

We have 3 acres and I'd say about half is mowable so around 1.5 acres of grass to cut. My son started helping to mow around 8 and is 11 now and can do it on his own including airing up low tires and checking oil before he starts. Its a zero turn and he does a good job, very rarely do I have to point out any missed spots. He also blows off the drive, porches, and sidewalk. I've been giving him $20 for his work. Just curious what others are paying for similar job.
                  I did over 3 acres as a kid and my twins managed our yard from the time they could safely do it. I paid 2x more than my dad paid me.

$0.00 and Free Room and Board.
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by tradman View Post
                    I pay my son $20 to mow our yard, but he very loosely runs a "lawn service" for people in the neighborhood. It has picked up over the years and I like the work ethic that he is picking up. I also make him do his own negotiations with potential customers which I also believe is an excellent thing to learn.

My proudest moment as his parent though was when a nearly 80 year old man asked him about mowing. He went down and checked out the yard, went into negotiations and charged the man half his usual rate. When I asked him why he told me that he didn't feel right charging the elderly man that much money, and he was afraid that if he priced the yard too high he wouldn't use him and continue to mow the yard himself. He said he wouldn't feel right watching that man mow his own yard at that age.
                    Thats awesome! Good Job dad!! Raising them right!

Comment

My boy is 8 and this is his second year mowing 3-4 acres weekly. We pay him $5. He runs my 2018 Gravely and understands his responsibility to avoid hitting things or tearing up fence. He questioned $5 so we had an economics lesson..... $20- my equipment-savings-room and board/ taxes=$5. Our kids understand their chore list is their responsibility and if they want to earn money, then they have to take on extra.

Comment

Working...
                      X