No announcement yet.

Does your kid mow the grass????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was the yard boy growing up. Room and board was what I got.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
      Me as a kid...
      cosign!

Italian families whole heartedly believe in free child labor

Comment

Pay him $100 but make him invest it in the stock market

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          Uhhhh no. Daddy’s princesses don’t mow grass. [emoji849]. However, my wife has had a stable of housekeeping workhorses for over 20 years. They do laundry, dishes, garbage duty, etc. They get paid every time they put their feet under my table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          And in mustangs, Jeep’s, etc. you ol hard ***![emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I had three brothers. We grew up in the 50's and 60's. One time i asked my Dad for an allowance. I told him all the other kids in the neighborhood received an allowance. His reply was "Okay, dinner tonight will be $5.00. I never asked for an allowance again. We also did most of the housework.

My Grandpa told me one time that "If you don't leave your boys anything else, leave them the work ethic."

Comment

My fathers words growing up "You think I had you because I wanted you? I had you for the free labor!"

So yeah, there was no compensation

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                My kids mowed and did other work around the house and my office when they were growing up. I paid them. I also made sure that they gave at least 10% of what they earned to the church and that they saved at least 10% of what they earned. I would match everything that they saved. They could save more than 10% if they chose to, or they could spend all 80% remaining as soon as I paid them. It was their choice. My goal was to help them learn how to earn money and how to manage it responsibly.

They're both financial advisors today, so maybe it worked.

Also, when they were teenagers, they NEVER came and asked me for money. If they ever needed more money, they'd come and ask my wife or I if we had any work that they could do to earn some more money. That worked out pretty well. If we ever had stuff we didn't want to do, we'd pay them to do it. Win/win.

Man, I really like that idea of having them save 10% and you matching the savings!

Comment

When my boy came of age and it was time to start taking on bigger responsibilities, the mowing of the yard became his chore. We never payed our children to do chores. As we explained to them, chores are something that have to be done throughout our lives and nobody is ever going to pay you to do the dishes, wash the car, feed and water the livestock or mow the grass.
                  The way they earned money was by doing work outside of their chores. If my boy helped me with a project and was a good hand then I’d give him what I thought his labor was worth. 10 or 20 bucks. My children learned to work and earn their way in life. They bought their own vehicles. Paid their own insurance and bought their own gas. The knew how to hustle. Both are very successful today.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post
                    Man, I really like that idea of having them save 10% and you matching the savings!

It was a really good thing. Zach would often save more than 10%, and he hated to spend. He always had a few hundred dollars.

Morgan, his big sister, would never save any extra. And she usually had the remaining 80% spent within 48 hours, even up into high school. I had just about given up hope that she'd learn to be better with money. But when she went to college she flipped the switch. She became very frugal and responsible. She always worked and earned her own money. She bought her own books and paid her own rent. She ended up majoring in accounting. One year she was elected treasurer of the student government. She made $25/hour managing their $250K budget. She had her own office and an assistant. One semester she was on a small team of students that got to manage $1,000,000 of ACU's endowment fund. They bought and sold stocks. She went on to get a masters in accounting.

I would have bet a LOT of money that she'd never do any of that when she was a senior in high school. But all those lessons that I thought she was ignoring eventually paid off.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

We never paid our kids to clean their room, do dishes, take out the trash or any other household chores. That's just stuff everybody has to do. And if they didn't want to clean their rooms, that was fine too. We'd just go in and scoop up whatever was laying around and take it to Goodwill. Only had to do that once. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

My boys did most of the yard work when they were still at home. It wasn't a set amount but they always got a some cash...how much depended on their attitude.

My girls, 17 &19, have never done much outside work but are good with inside the house work. They get paid for the extra stuff too.

Comment

When I was a kid in the early 60's my brother and I had to mow the lawn before mom would carry us to the local swimming pool. That was our pay. Push mower with about a 2 foot cut.

Comment

My kids flew the coop many moons ago. So I do all the mowing & weed whacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Brings back memories for sure. I still remember begging my dad to let me ride on the mower with him. Next thing I know, I'm on that darn thing by myself taking over the yard mowing duties from that day all the way up through moving out of the house!

We had an old Snapper rear engine mower back in the 80's. I can't remember the cutting width, but it wasn't much more than 30" or so cut and that mower had a terrible turning radius. The thing wouldn't even make a 90 degree turn so you had to kick it into reverse and straighten out at every corner. 1.5 acres was a solid 4 hour job with that thing. The commercial zero turns of today would run circles around it. Oh well, at least I wasn't pushing.

As for paying a son to mow the yard. To be honest, I don't see much wrong with paying a small allowance if chores such are the lawn are completed without compliant. There's way too many kids out there with parents that don't make them do a darn thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                                Me as a kid...
                                Yep, I was given the privilege of mowing for room and board.

Comment

Working...
                                X