HOGSTOP Feral hog contraceptive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    People that want to hunt hogs should buy their own property and sell hog hunts on the side to pay for said property. They will then find out that killing hogs results in hogs moving only in the wee hours of the morning when I am sleeping. Hog trapping serves to educate hogs after you have trapped a few. No amount of damage from hogs would motivate me to turn some dumbass loose on my place with a weapon. Most landowners feel that way too.
    I'm a landowner, and I don't feel that way. Nor do I refer to other hunters as "some dumbass with a weapon" I'd let someone hog hunt here. The problem is, the hogs don't come in on cue. They won't even come to my corn feeders on a regular basis. They mostly stay on a creek bottom that is a pretty good ways from here, and only come in here to root the place up about once every two weeks or so. A person would get awfully tired of sitting up all night to get a shot at them. I've shot a good many of them over a long time period, probably 10 in the past couple of years, but it's an accident to catch them in here.It's amazing how much they can root up in a night or two. Can't trap them, either, they are trap wise. I did catch two in snares last year, but they seem to have wised up to that, too.

Comment

As someone who likes shooting them, Joe Blow coming out and hunting doesn't work. Shooting a few one day does nothing. Shooting a bunch makes them nocturnal. Trapping whole sounders in a pen is pretty effective. Good fences work well but cost money most who complain about being overrun with hogs refuse to spend. As much as it sucks, if you own the land, the hogs are your problem to deal with. Waiting for the government to come up with some solution like the original topic is a fools game.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
        if you own the land, the hogs are your problem to deal with. Waiting for the government to come up with some solution like the original topic is a fools game.
        Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Watch out or you may be labeled

Most people hate hogs because they're told to and/or see it on TV...No other reason. Yes, I understand guys trying to plant crops have to battle them. Been like that for 30 years.

And did someone say the State of Texas is responsible? LOL That's a good one. Hog damage is about as over exaggerated as covid numbers are. And, yes for the 1,000th time I do own a ranch and no the hogs don't tear up much. Cattle do far more damage.

Who's responsible for letting carp in our waters?
          In the rocking area you live maybe they are not that bad but come to east Texas. As a land owner I promise they do a ton of damage to pasture lands. What they tear up is just less food for a cow to eat. It directly cuts into the bottom line of a business that as razor thin margins to begin with. I love to catch hogs with dogs. It is a blast but if I could throw a switch to get rid of every wild hod in the state I would do it in a minute. AS much as I hate hogs I do not think I would be using this stuff. Just too much that could go wrong. You bull gets to it and you miss one calf crop........

-john

-john

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
            As someone who likes shooting them, Joe Blow coming out and hunting doesn't work. Shooting a few one day does nothing. Shooting a bunch makes them nocturnal. Trapping whole sounders in a pen is pretty effective. Good fences work well but cost money most who complain about being overrun with hogs refuse to spend. As much as it sucks, if you own the land, the hogs are your problem to deal with. Waiting for the government to come up with some solution like the original topic is a fools game.
            Trapping only works on hogs that have not seen a trap before. They are very smart and will learn not to go into traps in short order.

-john

Comment

It has been approved by the state and you do use pig only feeders.

Aug. 16—Farmers and ranchers have a new tool in the seemingly impossible effort to control destructive feral hogs: birth control. The Texas Agriculture Department has approved a product called HogStop, an oral bait deployed for feral hogs which contains a contraceptive. The product is available at feed stores or agricultural supply stores. Millions of dollars are spent annually attempting to ...

Comment

Working...
              X