2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Though I appreciate the wit in your response, I still need an answer (for my friend)
    My "wit" contained the answer. I personally know both men and woman who use that rod.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll let Snowflakekilla know

Seems like a bit too much rod for a weak azz crappie fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Seems like a bit too much rod for a weak azz crappie fish.

He said something about pulling perch off the nest.

Comment

He said something about pulling perch off the nest.
          Boy I turn my back for a minute.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
            Those are some good looking reds
            Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Nice reds!
              Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Few from this morning

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's a little fishing report for ya'.

The last two weeks have been redfish, redfish, redfish for me. I've been catching quite a few trout as well but the reds have been the star of the show. A ton of reds have left the marsh and are on the prowl out in the open bay. The hard thing is finding them. You have to really pay attention to small signs like slicks, baitfish and mud boils and really know your bottom structure to know where to look for them. I'm mainly finding them around scattered shell and clam beds in 4-6' or water. They are there in good numbers and pretty agreeable most days. Some days schooled up and some days scattered. I've done well on live shrimp, vudu shrimp and gulps under Coastal Corks and on plum/chart and roach Bass Assassin 5" shad on 1/4 oz heads.

The water has heated up and it's gotten hard to keep bait alive well. The bait camps are having a tough time with it and supplies are very limited in my area. Luckily the gulps and vudus have been working as well or better than shrimp most days for redfish. Trout have been a little more picky but are eating shrimp and Bass Assassins pretty well, but not every day. I've been catching quite a few gulf trout as well and they eat the heck out of gulps and vudus.

The bays are chock full of bait right now and the fish are fat and packed full of shrimp, mullet and shad. I am really interested to see how this fall is going to go. We may get some really incredible bird action this year with all the shrimp that is in there now. I sure hope so anyway.

I'm looking forward to some more flat surf days if we can get this next storm through and gone. And for sure I am looking forward to fall fishing. It's as hot as Hunter Biden's spoon out there right now. I can't wait for those first cool breaths of fall.

It's been a heck of a summer. Kids are all starting school and everyone is getting back into their normal routines. I'm looking forward to a few days off later this month. If you want to line up a trip with me for the fall please call soon. Especially if you want a weekend day.

Anyway, here are a few pics from the last two weeks. Y'all may recognize a few of these folks.

Comment

A few more pics.

Comment

A couple more from today.

Comment

Thanks for the report Glen. A lot of reds are still in the back lakes, I was on em yesterday. A ton of small shrimp back there too. Purple/white and black /white have been the ticket. All have been tight to the grass. Got a couple big flounder too.

Comment

That's a 21" red for size on the flounder. Caught 7 reds total and 4 flounder (2 flounder were short and I've got quite a few reds lately so it was their lucky day).
                          Attached Files

Comment

What would everyone recommend for a semi-cheap guest rod/reel (one that you wouldn't mind getting tossed around or broke by accidents) as well as a semi-expensive rod/reel (good for getting dipped in the water for surf and inshore fishing)

I'm really getting into Saltwater fishing and would like a set of rods/reels to use when we go down there. My bass reels with no sealed bearings were a pain to clean and rebuild even 1 day after using them and my normal rods seemed a bit too light...had a hard time really setting the hook on quite a few fish, the one rod we had that was fairly stiff seemed to work well.

For the cheaper setup I was leaning towards a few of the Penn Pursuit III in 2500 but am curious about the Penn Wrath in 2500 since its about $20 cheaper.

For the nicer setup I was thinking a Penn Battle or Fierce.

I don't really have much insight on rods, so any help would be great.

(I did read back through both Salty H20 Fishing Threads from this year and saw a few of ya'lls recommendations for the Penn Battle/Pursuit, just haven't heard much on the Penn Wrath or Rod suggestions)

Comment

None of them take well to being dunked in salt water.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                None of them take well to being dunked in salt water.

I'm not looking for anything bulletproof, just something that will last awhile if properly cared for.

Comment

Working...
                                X