2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JES View Post
    What part of Florida? I think their trout are a different strain than ours.

Seagrove beach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Some of the trout I caught in Florida were like that, very olive colored. I figured it was from the real tanin stained waters they live in. The trout I caught over there in areas with clearer water and grass flats were more silver. But their spots still looked different from our fish, bigger and more of them.

If you really get use to looking at trout you can see differences in how they look in Texas from bay to bay.

Comment

What part of Florida? I think their trout are a different strain than ours.
        I don't think they are a different strain but there are genetic differences from bay system to bay system, even between bays in Texas. Still the same species though.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
          I don't think they are a different strain but there are genetic differences from bay system to bay system, even between bays in Texas. Still the same species though.
          I did a quick search and I think that fish is a weakfish, not a speckled trout. You can tell by the elongated soots, not as round as a trout’s spots.

Comment

Some of the trout I caught in Florida were like that, very olive colored. I figured it was from the real tanin stained waters they live in. The trout I caught over there in areas with clearer water and grass flats were more silver. But their spots still looked different from our fish, bigger and more of them.

If you really get use to looking at trout you can see differences in how they look in Texas from bay to bay.
            Kind of like a galveston 4 pounder is actually around 3.5 pounds and a POC 4 pounder is really around 2 pounds!!!! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Comment

I did a quick search and I think that fish is a weakfish, not a speckled trout. You can tell by the elongated soots, not as round as a trout’s spots.

For real? First for me. Whatever it is it’s gonna eat good lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yup, the tanin (backwaters) do that in Florida as well as upper reaches in Louisiana - DuLarge area. Bass, redfish are the same as well.....out of mix and into specks, they darken along that Gulf salt and Backwater mix zone too. Currituck and Pamlico sounds in North Carolina, same thing. Those late summer specks, feeding on softshell crab & stuff we don't typically see them eat here. They get olive in those tanin rivers that drain through the Great Dismal Swamp and similar zones there. I fished and lived here and covered Hatteras and Ocracoke and the lower Chesapeake Bay for about 6 years in my past as well.

I fished Flamingo Florida and the Upper Keys when I lived and worked there years ago. The difference between Upper Key specks and backwater - glades specks, they had a different coloration as well. Spots and size same - olive colorations on the backwater fish.

If you ever get a chance to fish Flamingo - it truly is an experience anyone in Texas would greatly appreciate. Especially the flats and skinny water anglers of us here.

We have GULF TROUT - which are smaller and not sandtrout. Silvery and shiny and very different than a sandtrout and or speck. I caught a lot of them around the North Jetty area of Galveston - surf zone in the first three cuts, when I fished that area literally everyday as a kid.

Mullet in those tanin zones - olive as well. Darker lures - with olive stains are the lures of choice.
                Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-03-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Has to be the water. This is a Florida trout also

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Heading to landcut at 9 mile hole area tomorrow for 4 days. Will give a report when I get bavk.

Comment

I always have been under the assumption that a speckled trout and a spotted weakfish are one and the same. Cynoscion nebulosus

Comment

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread Part II

I always have been under the assumption that a speckled trout and a spotted weakfish are one and the same. Cynoscion nebulosus

I’ve caught both. I worked for a couple years on the NE coast, definitely different fish. Weakfish is like a giant sand trout with croaker like markings, yellow fins, and live in different water than speckled trout. They like deep water, you catch them on metal jigs, smaller ones can be caught in the bays. They have them in Florida but you wouldn’t catch one wading. They tend to stay offshore.

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 08-03-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                          We have GULF TROUT - which are smaller and not sandtrout. Silvery and shiny and very different than a sandtrout and or speck. I caught a lot of them around the North Jetty area of Galveston - surf zone in the first three cuts, when I fished that area literally everyday as a kid.
                          I catch loads of gulf trout. Every year. I love when they show up in the bay. They will be mixed with specks and are bonus fish for us. Eager to eat, pull good and they are good eating.

We always have sand trout but the gulf trout come and go.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            I’ve caught both. I worked for a couple years on the NE coast, definitely different fish. Weakfish is like a giant sand trout with croaker like markings, yellow fins, and live in different water than speckled trout. They like deep water, you catch them on metal jigs, smaller ones can be caught in the bays. They have them in Florida but you wouldn’t catch one wading. They tend to stay offshore.

That is a weakfish, not a spotted weakfish. Cynoscion regalis

Comment

That is a weakfish, not a spotted weakfish. Cynoscion regalis
                              You are correct. Spotted weakfish is a speckled trout as we call it.

Comment

My bucket list fish is a big weakfish. I tried hard while was there and never broke a 20” fish. They get as big or bigger than our speckled trout. I want one in the worst kind of way.

Comment

Working...
                                X