No announcement yet.

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last week I got to take my dad, brother and son on our annual trip out of Galveston on Tuesday, then followed it by wading the full moon on Friday. Made for a great fish fry and had a lot of laughs and made some memories [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post

Last week I got to take my dad, brother and son on our annual trip out of Galveston on Tuesday, then followed it by wading the full moon on Friday. Made for a great fish fry and had a lot of laughs and made some memories [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Ol Jake has been on em pretty good! Nice haul

Comment

Atta boy Matt!! Good looking pile of fish! Three Generations out slayin' 'em together! Just can't beat that!!

Comment

Nice Matt nice! Your boy sure is growing up!

Comment

Congrats on some nice hauls!

Comment

Piles of fish and new boats! Congrats to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                Piles of fish and new boats!
                Man I love this thread!

Comment

I just got back from a little 3 day break with my lovely and extremely patient wife and some friends. It's been a really busy summer and I needed it. Now it's back to work and just in time to maybe catch some surf action.

Quick report, I have still been trying to lay off trout all I can. I didn't see it mentioned on this thread but the gillnet numbers came back and the catch rate for Matagorda was down about 40% from the 10 year average. So not great news but not as bad as it could be. We are still catching lots of trout but I am encouraging folks to keep what they want to eat fresh and let the rest go. And most folks are keeping 0-3 trout per person and letting the rest swim. I am really thinking we will see an emergency order soon to limit us to 3 trout per day but that is just my guess. I don't know that for sure.

So about two weeks ago we got about 25" of rain and it flushed the marsh. Not just due to fresh water. Some of the marsh saw big die offs of baitfish due to the rain flushing lots of stagnant, oxygen starved black water into the marsh from the pastures and surrounding areas that had been ponded up from earlier rains. That killed off a ton of shad and other baitfish and pushed the redfish out into the bay. I saw lots of open water schools of reds the last two weeks and had a couple pretty epic days of working big schools of reds out in the middle of the bay. It doesn't take long for word to get out and the schools got run over a thousand times and busted up and scattered everywhere so it became a game of long drifts to catch scattered fish. And we did well with that too.

Gulps under Coastal Corks were the ticket. Live shrimp got hard to come by due to the fresh water but I was still able to get live shrimp every day but one. Even still the gulps outproduced shrimp 2 to 1 on my boat. We also saw a pretty good influx of sand trout so most days we had a pretty good pile of sandies and maybe a speck or three to go with our reds.

Here are a few pics. Lots of first fish, first reds/trout, etc. Also I had Mr. Wheat come fish with me and I think he may be the oldest person I have taken fishing at 95. he caught a massive 40" black drum. I also had a customer bring his grandsons who are like 3 and 4 years old and they got to help reel in their first reds. It just goes to show fishing is for all ages.

Here are some pics.

Comment

Comment

Nice report Captain!

When you are chasing those mid bay reds, how deep are you rigging that gulp under the popping corK?

Comment

Great work Capt. Glenn. Thanks for the info.

Comment

That's what I love seeing, awesome pics sir!

Comment

Nicely done Glenn. Congrats on the time off from what most of us struggle to do lately [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              Nice report Captain!

When you are chasing those mid bay reds, how deep are you rigging that gulp under the popping corK?
                              It kinda depends on water clarity. The clearer it is the deeper I drop it. When it is real dirty maybe 2-3' deep. When it's clearer green 3-4' deep. When I want to pick up more sand trout as extras I drop it even deeper sometimes. I am rigging them on 1/16th oz Hogie's jigheads.

Comment

Originally posted by zhall View Post
                                Great work Capt. Glenn. Thanks for the info.
                                Thanks bud!

If y'all need the best popping corks on the water y'all need to get with zhall. He's your Coastal Cork connection. I can't begin to tell you how many fish I catch with them but it is a huge number every year and I have used them for years. One of the most important pieces of tackle I use and I use them literally every single trip. They will help you catch more fish, I promise.

Comment

Working...
                                X