Reasons we Bailed and Moved to Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
    Good for you. I left 2 years ago after living in Texas all my life.

The MSA of Houston has more people than the entire state of Missouri.

I bought 200 acres on a river that looks like it is in new braunfels for less than 20 acres in harris county.

Texas will go blue by 2028.

The only thing I miss is the mexican food and friends.

They can keep the rest.
    Yes. I agree with everything you said. Good Mexican food is hard to find up here, but it does exist. There are approximately 7 million people in the DFW metroplex. The whole state of Iowa has just over 3 million people.

Iowa population in 2021 is estimated to be 3.21 million, ranks 31st populous state in US.

We got some awesome pork here in Iowa and wild asparagus growing in the ditches along our county road.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-31-2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Congrats! I miss living in a much less populated area.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
        I'd like more info on your barndo. About to build one and your place is very nice sir.
        Just got a chance to look for some pictures. Basically 40'x40' living area with 9' side walls. 40'x40' shop with 16' sidewalls. 16'x40' lean to open storage off the back of the shop. 400 sq.ft. loft in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
          I grew up in a country grocery store owned by my parents just south of Mesquite, Texas. We cut meat, crushed ice, pumped gas, dipped ice cream, and sold groceries on credit. We sold ammo (shot gun and .22 ammo) by the box or by the shell. We had .22 shorts, longs, and long rifle. I remember when regular leaded gas was 17.9 cents a gallon and ethyl (premium) was 18.9 cents a gallon. We sold kerosene by the gallon, and all kinds of livestock feed. We knew all our customers by name and would open after hours if someone needed something. We delivered to the elderly customers and gave them a lot of necessity items at no charge. It was a great place to grow up. If you did not live in that era there is no way you could understand how much times have changed.....for the worse.

The area where our store was located is now a very dangerous place to live. It is sad.
          I didn’t know this Mike. Where exactly was this store you refer to? I grew up in Mesquite (Skeeter class of ‘82 here) all my life before going off to college and have 2 sisters that still live there. I can sure relate to it NOT being what it used to be that for sure.

I loved your barndo thread and congrats for getting out of the metromess. I can’t ever imagine leaving Texas personally but kudos to you for pulling it off.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
            Congrats on the fine piece of land.
            Back in 2018 when I got laid off twice from oil and gas, I tried hard to move out of the heavily populated Houston area. Best we could do was Huntsville and this will soon be North Houston in a few years at the rate its growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            i used to hunt in Riverside in the late 90's/Early 2000's.

We would drive up 45, thru the woodlands and once you passed Conroe there wasn't much of anything going on. We would stop at the Jack in the Box in Willis, which was about the only thing there, eat and head north.

Several years back I met a girl who was originally from New Waverley and we went back 2 years ago to visit her grandma

I could not believe how much the area had grown

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
              I didn’t know this Mike. Where exactly was this store you refer to? I grew up in Mesquite (Skeeter class of ‘82 here) all my life before going off to college and have 2 sisters that still live there. I can sure relate to it NOT being what it used to be that for sure.

I loved your barndo thread and congrats for getting out of the metromess. I can’t ever imagine leaving Texas personally but kudos to you for pulling it off.
              Triangle Grocery & Market at Pioneer and Old Seagoville Rd. The store building and our house is gone. My Mother gave the house away. The moving cost made in not affordable to sell. My parents did not want to see it torn down so they gave it away. A family had it moved to Combine and is living in it today.

Here is some artist pictures of the store and our house.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mr Arrowsmith...

1) re#1...Where is the barn quilt?
                2) re#4...The heat...weve cousins that live near Decorah in the middle of a corn field... the Iowa “corn sweat” (as they call it) easily rivals Houston oppressiveness... IMO.

Im glad youre home and happy. I really like your barndo setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  Mr Arrowsmith...

1) re#1...Where is the barn quilt?

2) re#4...The heat...weve cousins that live near Decorah in the middle of a corn field... the Iowa “corn sweat” (as they call it) easily rivals Houston oppressiveness... IMO.

Im glad youre home and happy. I really like your barndo setup.
                  Our barn quilt is sitting in our shop right now. My wife designed it and her newphew painted her design. It incorporates a windmill, John Deere green and yellow and the red color of our roof. I am just waiting on some help to install it on the front gable end of our barndo.

The millions of acres of corn do create their own weather system. Fortunately we live in rolling grassy hills that is more suited to raising cattle. We have just enough corn and beans to attract the deer.[emoji106]

"In Iowa, corn pumps out "a staggering 49 to 56 billion gallons of water into the atmosphere each day the National Weather Service said. That can add 5 to 10 degrees to the dew point, a measure of the humidity in the air, on a hot summer day'.

I will take our true 4 seasons and our summer temperatures over Texas temps anyday. Last summer I actually sweated maybe 10 times while working outside. In Texas I would be sweating from April thru October.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-31-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Miss you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdaddy View Post
                      Miss you guys!
                      We miss you too Brian. We hope you are doing well. Tracy said Hello !!

Comment

Our barn quilt is sitting in our shop right now. My wife designed it and her newphew painted her design. It incorporates a windmill, John Deere green and yellow and the red color of our roof. I am just waiting on some help to install it on the front gable end of our barndo.

The millions of acres of corn do create their own weather system. Fortunately we live in rolling grassy hills that is more suited to raising cattle. We have just enough corn and beans to attract the deer.[emoji106]

"In Iowa, corn pumps out "a staggering 49 to 56 billion gallons of water into the atmosphere each day the National Weather Service said. That can add 5 to 10 degrees to the dew point, a measure of the humidity in the air, on a hot summer day'.

I will take our true 4 seasons and our summer temperatures over Texas temps anyday. Last summer I actually sweated maybe 10 times while working outside. In Texas I would be sweating from April thru October.

Holy water vapor! Thats alot of moisture. Sure glad youre not in that swampy air.

That is a mighty fine looking barn quilt. Well done!

Comment

Triangle Grocery & Market at Pioneer and Old Seagoville Rd. The store building and our house is gone. My Mother gave the house away. The moving cost made in not affordable to sell. My parents did not want to see it torn down so they gave it away. A family had it moved to Combine and is living in it today.

Here is some artist pictures of the store and our house.
                          Oh yes, I remember the store front but not the house. We actually lived in Balch Springs before moving to Mesquite. My stepmother’s family use to own 55 acres not far from there off Lawson Rd and McKenzie Rd. I grew up hunting rabbits, squirrel and dove all over that land for many, many years. This was back before Interstate 20 came through where it does now...and before the city of Mesquite annexed all that property. There wasn’t a house in sight and you could shoot all day and never hear a car. My....how things have changed. 😕

Comment

We paid $1500 an acre in 2009. When I first saw the place on a You Tube video it was listed at $2500 an acre. Two weeks later I watched the video again and there was a banner lowering the price to $1500 an acre. My wife and I flew up met the seller and bought it on the spot. We paid $1500 x 60 acres = $90,000. When we got the survey we found that we actually owned 63.46 acres. I asked the seller why the price reduction? He said he and his business partner need some cash flow. I was lucky that I watched the video again.

I am not sure of the prices at this time. I am sure like everything else they have increased.

Here is the original You Tube video.

We purchased the acre next to ours back in 2009 for $14.5k in little ole Gunter Tx a town of less than 2000. Today there are two lots listed, one for $199k and the other $200k. Might be time to sell and head North. Crazy times.

Comment

I am sorry there is NO Place like Texas..........i moved away 35 years ago for a job....i regret it everyday........ i drive back 4-5 times a year ........to ease the pain

Comment

Working...
                              X