Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Rate the bobcat mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good... also looks like me after Thanksgiving dinner, Nap time

Comment

Originally posted by cj_sandman View Post
      You pulling my leg? Either that or.. I feel pretty solid about my mount now lol.

Thanks AC.

No this is legit. Unfortunately

I think someone posted the link to my original thread above . There’s some real beauties on there too. It’s worth a look. You will love yours after seeing that thread.

Edit: yep see post 36.

Comment

Solid B

Comment

The first thing I tend to look at on predator mounts is the eyes and the nose. If the nose ain't the right color or the eyes ain't right I notice right off the bat. Not every bobcat is the same as far as tufts on the face or ears. I think everyone has it in their mind what they think one is supposed to look like that way. Some just don't and depending on where it came from it may not be as fluffy.

Comment

I would say 7. But the average of most cat mounts I've seen are probably a solid 4-5, so above average.

Comment

I'd give it a 6.5 but I've also seen way worse. In my opinion if you didn't pay an arm and a leg you came out ahead.

Comment

Bobcats are very different depending on what part of the country they live in.
                I never shot one when we lived in Texas because they all were dark and looked like scrawny, overgrown house cats. Growing up here in the Rockies, a prime tom is big, pale, with very white bellies against stark black spots.
                Those are what I judge cat mounts by because that is what I am used to.
                If the eyes, nose and head are acceptable to you then be happy with the mount and memories of the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not trying to be rude, but I’d rate it at a 4. The neck is too small and hair is fluffy. As others have said, it is better than a lot of other cat taxidermy, but doesn’t look anything close to what a live cat would look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                    Aside from the neck/head hair being puffed up I think it's great. I'm sure you'll be able to tame the mane.

10x better than some I have seen.
                    X2

I’m thinking about the same thing here, tame the mane and it will look fine.

Comment

Have you tried brushing it, might make the neck fluff more and lay the hair in a natural way.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        Have you tried brushing it, might make the neck fluff more and lay the hair in a natural way.
                        Definitely intending to do this. It certainly can’t hurt.

Comment

You guys saying the cat is too fluffy, don't know squat about the prevailing taxidermy practices and study of live animals. Although it might not be accurate every single specimen, in general a small animal will keep their hair fluffed to stand on end in nature. Animals, cats in specific, are not grooming themselves to lay their hair flat. The fact that this mount has been back blown with air shows the taxi was trying to get stuff right. Whatever ails the mount isn't because it's too fluffy !
                          Last edited by buck_wild; 05-26-2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                            You guys saying the cat is too fluffy, don't know squat about the prevailing taxidermy practices and study of live animals. Although it might not be accurate every single specimen, in general a small animal will keep their hair fluffed to stand on end in nature. Animals, cats in specific, are not grooming themselves to lay their hair flat. The fact that this mount has been back blown with air shows the taxi was trying to get stuff right. Whatever ails the mount isn't because it's too fluffy !

Regarding the “Study of live animals” you refer to....I’ve seen dozens of bobcats walking, running and doing bobcat stuff in the wild. None of them were fluffy.

Comment

I got a little chuckle out of that myself Lostacresranch.

Comment

I think most cat mounts are a disaster. This one isn’t bad probably a 7 or 8 out of 10. I shot a nice tom during deer season and my wife is having it mounted by a veteran friend of hers that suppose to do a good job. We will see. I’ve seen some excellent taxidermist totally fail on cats.

Comment

Working...
                                X