No announcement yet.

Surgery soon. Nervous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers your way. Hurting sucks a lot. Hope you find relief!

Comment

Prayers up for you sir

Comment

I know this is going to sound stupid but I suggest you walk and be as active as possible now. It helps with recovery and rehab.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          I know this is going to sound stupid but I suggest you walk and be as active as possible now. It helps with recovery and rehab.
          Excellent advice!

Comment

Thanks everyone.
            I greatly appreciate the thoughts, prayers, suggestions and guidance.
            All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

I have a bone spur pressing on a nerve in my neck so I feel your pain. I'm going to put off surgery as long as possible. Prayers sent for your surgery to go well!

Comment

I got two disks replaced in my neck about 7 years ago. I was early thirties, and I walked out of the hospital with no neck brace the same day. The worst part of it all is your throat will be really sore form the shoving everything to the side to get back to your spine. Not gonna lie, the first week sucked. I slept on the couch propped up, and only ate soups and soft foods. The worst part for me was getting constipation from the pain killers, I had to quit them after 5 days.

You will make it man, the relief afterwards is well worth the week or so of pain.

Comment

This will be the best decision you’ve ever made, I put off spine surgery for a long time but after it was done I was mad at myself for waiting so long.

Are you having fusion or disk replacement?

I would be finding a doc that does disc replacement as you will keep some mobility in that joint instead if none, will also help reduce the risk of an adjacent disc having problems later. I wish I had known about this option when I had mine done.

Which level are they working on?

I’ve had L5/S1 and C6/7 fusion. Wish my neck would move just a little more than it does now.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                    I got two disks replaced in my neck about 7 years ago. I was early thirties, and I walked out of the hospital with no neck brace the same day. The worst part of it all is your throat will be really sore form the shoving everything to the side to get back to your spine. Not gonna lie, the first week sucked. I slept on the couch propped up, and only ate soups and soft foods. The worst part for me was getting constipation from the pain killers, I had to quit them after 5 days.

You will make it man, the relief afterwards is well worth the week or so of pain.
                    Oh yeah, the throat pain was worse than the actual incision. Each time you swallow is miserable.

Neck fusion surgery is quick, less than 45 minutes when they did mine.

Comment

My wife has had 2 lower back and one neck fusion. She is scheduled for another neck surgery in June. The neck is not nearly as painful post-op as the lower back. I will tell you the incisional pain is real, but the improvement in the other symptoms will far outweigh the surgical pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        Personally I was frightened about the pain meds and constipation caused by them.

Taking a stool softener and staying hydrated are your best friends when it comes to opioids. When my husband had his back surgery in 2017, I started him on Colace 2 weeks before the surgery and made him keep taking after until he was off the opioids (just a couple of days). He had no issues.

Comment

Good stuff Jenn. I’m married to a nurse now for 27 years and found out after three of four 12 hour shifts in a row in the ER her compassion tank is empty when she gets home! You better be bleeding out before complaining! Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            This will be the best decision you’ve ever made, I put off spine surgery for a long time but after it was done I was mad at myself for waiting so long.

Are you having fusion or disk replacement?

I would be finding a doc that does disc replacement as you will keep some mobility in that joint instead if none, will also help reduce the risk of an adjacent disc having problems later. I wish I had known about this option when I had mine done.

Which level are they working on?

I’ve had L5/S1 and C6/7 fusion. Wish my neck would move just a little more than it does now.
                            I need to ask more questions. He was explaining it to me, but it was a lot of technical stuff and I should have asked more questions when he gave me the opportunity. I know they are going in from the front (cut in my throat area, which caught my attention and kinda freaked me out). He mentioned removing old material and sending it out to be tested, using “grown” material / cadaver bone to “cage” (I remember him using that term). It’s my C5/C6 and C6/C7.

He said the biggest difference between what he does and what Portsmouth Naval Hospital would have done is traction. He said that hurts, and he doesn’t do that. He uses a different procedure.

I felt rushed, but in reality, he did tell me, “If you have ANY questions, just ask. I want you to feel comfortable making this decision.” I have a Pre-Op on June 3rd. I’m going to ask further at that time, and write everything down.

I was just happy when he told me the pain relief results stats, and that his procedure didn’t hurt anywhere as much as the PNH procedure would have.

All the best,
                            Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                              Taking a stool softener and staying hydrated are your best friends when it comes to opioids. When my husband had his back surgery in 2017, I started him on Colace 2 weeks before the surgery and made him keep taking after until he was off the opioids (just a couple of days). He had no issues.
                              I’m doing that now, as they already have me on Oxycodone. I take Mirilax every night. It helps greatly. I do need to drink more though. But getting up 6 times a night to pee wears me out quick too. I feel like I got no sleep at all.
                              All the best,
                              Glenn

Comment

I too have degenerative disc disease. I had a L3 - L4 360 fusion about 11 years ago and it changed my life for the better. You’ll never be 100% but you’ll get your life back. I won’t lie, it was a painful recovery but the reward is worth it. Do get a recliner. I slept in mine for 6 weeks and it took a while to get used to the titanium cage feel inside your body. It’s an absolute must once your at the stage that you’re at. It’s only natural to feel nervous but keep the positive thought of how you’ll feel in a few months. Also, make sure that the nurses and yourself keep the cuts clean and covered. I ended up getting an infection from the lack of care during my hospital stay and that left a nasty scar on one of the three cuts. Stay positive and think of way your quality of life will be soon. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
                                Last edited by EZ-10RANCH; 05-20-2021, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X