No announcement yet.

Brisket size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I’ll try one this weekend in the 10lb range.

Comment

With the prices today after the hipsters in Austin showed up......the smallest I can find.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

No wonder I can't ever find 10-12 lb brisket's!lol

Comment

I have never done one smaller than 10. How do you guys make stuff out of the leftovers if you smoke one that small?!

Comment

Did a 15#’er last weekend. Plenty of leftovers...lol

Comment

I'm also part of the 10-12lb club as it makes for a shorter cook time, and I'm not having to get up at too crazy of an hour to start the pit. I usually just cook for a group of between 8-12 people so it feeds everyone (with sides) and makes some leftovers.

I have been wanting to try and cook a smaller flat, but have yet to do so.

Comment

I will smoke just the flats pretty often when they pop up for sale at HEB. I meal prep all my food for the week. Which is mostly meat. So 1lb of lean brisket for lunch every day for the week is pretty nice! Especially when i find a 7-8# on sale for 20$.

Just gotta watch them time and temp wise. I find the flats come out a little better and don't dry out so much if I cook them hotter and faster. And wrap around 170. I don't wrap big briskets or anything else.

Comment

Last one I did a couple weeks ago was 16# before trimming. I was a looong cook, but turned out to be the best I’ve done.

Comment

I found a big Angus 22#er on sale that I just couldn't pass up. I intend on using Smart's recipe within the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by 68rustbucket View Post
                      Last one I did a couple weeks ago was 16# before trimming. I was a looong cook, but turned out to be the best I’ve done.
                      Pic
                      Attached Files

Comment

I like 10-12 pounders for easy weekend cooks. Smallest I have done was a Prime 9 pounder that was at 203 degrees after only 6 hours at 250. Main thing when doing smaller briskets than you are used to is pay attention to the temps and the bark. Many times I don't wrap the small briskets if they are cooking fast as I want sufficient time on the smoke for bark creation. You can also try smoking at a lower temp to better regulate the time.

Comment

Heck I did a chuck roast the other day, so I'll smoke whatever I find on sale.

Comment

Working...
                          X