No announcement yet.

Teenage boys and car insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You make th get a job and pay their portion of the insurance bill. That's what my folks did and I'm fine.

Comment

I'll pay the insurance for having a boy, as opposed to all the other stuff for having a girl.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
        all these fancy $80k trucks running around, it's not just what your kid drives, it's what the person they hit drives that the insurance co is worried about.
        Yep, that is what I was about to ask to some of you who have cheaper rates. What is the coverage on the other vehicle? I was hit by another driver with Progressive back in December. She had insurance but it only covered up to $25k. I don't drive an $80k truck but my truck is still mid $40k's. So my insurance company had to cover the rest and I may still be out my deductible despite the wreck being 100% her fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
          Nope. Full coverage on a 2017 Honda Odyssey that's got another 1.5 years to pay off. Paid off 2007 Camry, paid off 2007 Tacoma, and the '04 Lancer, all with liability only, I think. Need to check, may have comp on the two Toyotas.

I'm definitely shopping around as we speak.

And I do get it... one of my son's friends left my house, tried to turn around in my neighbor's driveway, and ran into the flippin house, and it was his 3rd wreck in 6 months.
          I remember about 5 years ago, my ex wife's Camry was about 30% more than my Chevy Crew truck and my truck as worth 25K more. I wonder if that might be part of the issue????

Comment

Insurance

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
            Well, it's that time. Insurance figured out my kid has a drivers license, and his coverage adds about $300 per month to my monthly tab.

What do poor folks do? Do they not have insurance? Do they not let their kids drive?

Today I told the lady that insurance charges like that are a racket targeting middle class and up who can afford the payments.

I've got another kid on deck as well. $600 a month for them to drive back and forth to school is ****ed ridiculous.
            Us poor folks just tell our sons to catch a ride from the kids with rich parents like yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Evictor View Post
              This plus they get to learn how to wrench on their beaters to set them up for the long run and be ahead of most kids who don't even know how to change a tire.
              Also establish rules, like if they get any ticket, or in an accident and they are responsible for the insurance and the cost of the repairs to their own.
              Best answer!!!!!!

Comment

told my kids, i would buy the car (my choice of car) they would have to pay the insureance , gas and maintainance, after research they both decided to take the bus, my oldest bought a car when he got in the air force, my youngest is 22 and still choses not to own a car, with uber, lift and the city bus he says that he has no need for a car,

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                  In Texas our ins company explained you cant designate cars anymore for teenagers to drive. They have to be insured on every vehicle on the policy. Its not like it was 25 yrs ago. To many wrecked mom and dads cars and were not insured.

Maybe one of the few ins guys on here will chime in and explain.

Yep, 100%. I tried this a 5 years ago (boys now 21) and tried again when I flipped insurance carriers. It doesn't work that way, as they technically can drive any car you insure, so they no longer allow you to assign them to the beater....
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                    Yep, 100%. I tried this a 5 years ago (boys now 21) and tried again when I flipped insurance carriers. It doesn't work that way, as they technically can drive any car you insure, so they no longer allow you to assign them to the beater....
                    Yep. Sucks to buy insurance for a young man. It's bad enough for girls, but for boys it's insane.

Jason, the good thing for you is that once your oldest twins are grown and buying their own insurance, you'll have another set of twins about ready to drive, huh?

Comment

Yeah, by the time the twins are ready to drive and go to college I will have recovered from the massive debt incurred from the first wave of kids, LOL.

LOL a little at me being called the rich guy. Driving a bunch of old paid off cars, LOL. If I’m rich at all, it’s largely because I try to work hard and make more smart decisions that dumb ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m an independent agent and have been in the business for 32 years. If your rates moved $350 per month, you need to start shopping. Some companies will still allow you to assign a driver to a car, but that does not always mean they have a better rate.

My personal experience is that if your young driver can make it thru the first 9 months or so without any incidents, including no fault accidents, then they are usually good to go. The rates can be dramatically different for each family for sure. I just added a 16 year old and a 06 Taco with collision and comprehensive to one of my Progressive customers and it was less than $100 a month. If you feel your paying too much, shop your rates. Don’t go to one of those online insurance quote sites or you phone will be blowing up.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                          How do some of these people afford the insurance and the new cars/trucks these kids drive now days? Lots of $70K 4X4 trucks in those school parking lots.
                          One thing I’ve learned is that a lot of those vehicles are the grandparent’s. I know of many of my son’s classmates are driving “gifts” and in the grandparents name to get the cheap insurance.

We tried assigning the beater but that didn’t work. Both boys are tied to the wife’s Infinity even though they don’t drive it, ever.

Comment

My children had jobs and if they wanted the privilege of driving a car, they had to pay their own cars, insurance and fuel.

Comment

Please do some shopping, I added my 16 year old son and it cost me $50 more a month. Both of our vehicles are 20 years old

Comment

Working...
                              X