No announcement yet.

Feed pens and sheep!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular 4' hog panels will work. They will still come when the feeder goes off and they will still surround your pen and pick up anything outside of it, but you should be good with keeping them out.

Comment

Don't have a lot of experience with sheep. The couple places I've been to, they were like cattle. As long as the pen (cattle panel) is big enough to keep all the corn INSIDE the pen when the feeder goes off, they never really bother it. However, I've learned not to use cattle panels for goats. Those idiots can get their stupid head thru the openings and then cant get it back out. We've had to buy a few goats because of it.

Comment

Panels will work but make the pen big. As for sheep vs goats. Sheep are grazers if they are rotated properly no more damage on pastures then cattle. Key is rotation. Goats are disposals, they graze, browse, climb etc..... Will damage a pasture that will take years to recover. Stay away from goats.

Comment

Hog panel will work or turn your 3 strand wire fence into a 5 strand. Sheep aren't that bad.

Comment

My Edwards county place has sheep and my Val Verde county place has cattle. Neither of these seem to affect the axis too much, but both landowners are far from overgrazing the places. Cattle panels, sheep fencing, hag panels, etc seem to all work well. If you already have a few strands on barbed wire up, I agree that simply stringing a couple more may be effective. I’d think another relatively cheap option would be the rolled sheep fencing.

Comment

Thanks guys. After reading the comments. I’m looking at either adding more barbed wire or getting rolled goat/sheep wire. I currently have a pen with 3 strands at 12” 24” and 36”. I’m thinking maybe running more barbed wire at 6” and 18”. If needed I could also add one at 30”.

Comment

Working...
              X