No announcement yet.

Plant Operator Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make them a hand. Good luck in your new position.

Comment

I started to give you some advice back in May, but it looks like everyone covered all you need to know. If you ever have any questions, shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help.
      Good luck on your new beginning!

Comment

Good Luck & Be Safe!

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
          I will be starting my new job as an operator at a chemical plant in Channelview next week. Any advice yall can offer me for a person who is transitioning from working as a chief engineer offshore to a new hire operator? What can I do to make myself an asset and not a burden to others? I know first impressions mean a lot and I want to make a good impression.
          Everytime there is work to do, go with whoever is doing it. Learn as much as you can, ask questions. Don't complain....about anything. Be coachable.

Comment

Learn and know your equipment operating limitations and know your clearnace / LOTO procedure like the back of your hand. The one thing that will get somebody ran off from here is violating the clearance procedure even if it is an accident or an honest mistake. We allow no room for error.

Take care of yourself and cover your butt. Nobody will take care of you better than yourself. If your equipment has issues or is running outside of its normal limits, log it, send emails and make phone calls so that everybody knows. Hold others accountable, especially management. I love proving management and others wrong, not that it ever helps anything.

You can fix anything in the plant with a valve cheater, sledge hammer, channel locks and a screwdriver.

Lastly don't lie to your relief. If you didn't do something tell them you didn't do it. I always hate surprises.

Comment

Also, another tip of advice. Download Shift Master on your phone. The app cost $1.99 for iPhone and it is well worth it. You can set your schedule and color code it to match your 28 day rotation, if you are on the DuPont Schedule.

Comment

Working...
              X