Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of y'all live near the new Bois d'Arc Lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
    #2... ballpark price they paid per acre?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It varied per parcel, it’s mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
      #2... ballpark price they paid per acre?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      It was almost twice the market value. All of their land was in a flood plain. At that time, price per acreage in that area was around 2-4k per acre. There's appraised on the very low end of that scale, since it was all bottomland. The government gave them double that.
      Also, the guys asking 40k per acre are lower acreage tracts.
      Last edited by Arrowthreat; 06-17-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
        Our place is about 10 miles from the lake. Let me address a few of these questions since I'm a "local".

1. Most, if not all of the timber will be west of the FM 897 bridge. The lake narrows out west of the bridge, and stays a long the creek bed. By the looks of it, they didn't touch hardly any of the timber a long the creek bed. Basically they're just flooding the whole area and leaving the tall hardwoods. It should end up being one of the best duck hunting lakes in the area, if they allow hunting on that part of the channel. The western part of the lake will feel like a Louisiana swamp. Guys will be on flat bottom boats instead of Skeeters throwing lines back in there.

2. As far as being compensated for land. I understand the issue with people being forced to sell. I would be upset as well. However, these people were compensated very well. My buddies granddad owned over 250 acres right where the main body of the lake is underneath the FM 897 bridge. They paid him a ridiculous amount of money. Ultimately they were happy about the deal.

3. Economic growth in Fannin county will sky rocket. There should be some nice homes and lake lots that will ultimately "clean up the area". If you're from that area, you know that part of the county is meth Ville. The weekend city slickers will be a pain in the rear, but some of that is inevitable.

4. Also, personally I'm much more excited about Bois D' Arc than Ralph hall. Most of the Bois D' Arc lake area has large oak trees with good red river sandy loam soil. Ralph hall will be surrounded by scrub cedars and black land clay.

5. As far as hunting is concerned, the lake construction was the best thing that's ever happened for hunters within a 30 mile radius. The deer and hog numbers that we're seeing compared to past years has drastically increased. That 16k acres that is now the lake, was mostly solid bottom land that housed large numbers of pigs and deer.

Some of this is my opinion, and some of it is fact. Ultimately I think it will be a huge improvement, and the lake will bring in more positive than negative.

'5. As far as hunting is concerned, the lake construction was the best thing that's ever happened for hunters within a 30 mile radius. The deer and hog numbers that we're seeing compared to past years has drastically increased. That 16k acres that is now the lake, was mostly solid bottom land that housed large numbers of pigs and deer.'

Simply that the water ran them all out and now they are scattered into other areas surrounding it. Hopefully, the deer will multiply like crazy and populations increase but it will be short-lived in this county where folks shoot every deer in sight, regardless of limits and need of meat.

Comment

There is a thread about the lake on Texas Fishing Forum with some recent pictures of the lake filling for anyone interested.

Comment

I drove around the lake and across the bridge today. The east side is going to be open, most all these trees will be underwater.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

It looks like west of the bridge will be a lot of flooded timber. With the treetops above the bridge, it looks like three tops should be well above water. I didn't get a picture of it but the channel looks to be nice and wide, maybe 75 to 100 yards wide. Some smaller trees are currently sticking above water in the channel clearing, but they should be well under water at pool level.

Comment

I'm already plan-n some duck holes from just your pics Keith!

Wonder what fish TP&W will focus on stocking?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  I'm already plan-n some duck holes from just your pics Keith!

Wonder what fish TP&W will focus on stocking?
                  Bass, they shocked one of the soon to be underwater ponds and removed all the existing fish, then stocked it with Florida strain bass on Lone Star Law a while back.
                  It was built for water for Dallas with a 90" pipeline. It will never stay full long and will constantly fluctuate.

Comment

Working...
                  X