No announcement yet.

Kansas Turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now I’m on the river side. Working my way down the fence line with the train tracks just on the other side. The two turkeys I saw about an hour ago are working their way the same way.

Comment

Did you end up at Byron Walker? If so try the walk in ground (its part of the Byron Nelson) east of road 110 south of 54 that runs along Ninnescah River. If my memory serves me correct the ground I am talking about lies between roads 110 and 120 south of S.H. 54. Used to be loaded with birds around those huge Cottonwoods along the river. Wear rubber boots, the ground is low and soft until you get closer to the Cottonwoods.

Best of Luck
      Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
        Did you end up at Byron Walker? If so try the walk in ground (its part of the Byron Nelson) east of road 110 south of 54 that runs along Ninnescah River. If my memory serves me correct the ground I am talking about lies between roads 110 and 120 south of S.H. 54. Used to be loaded with birds around those huge Cottonwoods along the river. Wear rubber boots, the ground is low and soft until you get closer to the Cottonwoods.

Best of Luck
        Rwc
        Yeah, I’m on the WMA line with the WIHA just on the other side.
        I made a u turn and was headed back to the truck. I made a loop around a wooed area that has a swamp in it. I saw it as I was walking up the RR tracks
        Anyways, I popped out on this field. Had a very close encounter with the wrong kind!!!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	34977442-C20D-45FD-8897-66B2176DBFDC.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	24652826
        This was at 11:50. You would figure by now she would be sitting on a nest.
        Or at least tow in a goobler!!!!

Comment

I killed this one in NE KS last weekend. Tons of birds in the area of Unit 3 I was in.

Double bearded 11.5'' and 5.25''
          1 3/8 in spurs
          Attached Files

Comment

Hens are on the nest right now. Should be easy to close the deal on a gobbler...if you can find one! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
              Hens are on the nest right now.!

Did you not see pic above!!! That was my 3rd hen sighting. First 2 was at 10:45 to around 11 and the other one was 11:50. I thought the same thing, they should be on a nest by now
              Took a break for lunch. Wind hasn’t let up NONE!!! Gonna drive around and look at some other places. May go back to that field where I saw that last hen and set up this evening and hunt like I would deer and see if one pops out before going to roost. There’s a nice block of timber on the south side with some big ole cottonwoods

Comment

Originally posted by AWnNETX View Post
                I killed this one in NE KS last weekend. Tons of birds in the area of Unit 3 I was in.

Double bearded 11.5'' and 5.25''
                1 3/8 in spurs
                Nice!!! Were they talking last weekend?
                Just drove out to a place I pheasant hunted last year and found some tracks along the side of the road, so I know there are some there. Then I drove up on a hen at another place at 3:30 in the afternoon. Went about 3/4 of a mile and saw 2 toms on the edge of a field but this was on some private ground.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post

Did you not see pic above!!! That was my 3rd hen sighting. First 2 was at 10:45 to around 11 and the other one was 11:50. I thought the same thing, they should be on a nest by now
                  Took a break for lunch. Wind hasn’t let up NONE!!! Gonna drive around and look at some other places. May go back to that field where I saw that last hen and set up this evening and hunt like I would deer and see if one pops out before going to roost. There’s a nice block of timber on the south side with some big ole cottonwoods

Yep! Unless their nest has already been destroyed by predators, I promise they are on the nest right now. Hens take a break mid day and feed. Then go back to the nest. Try to roost a hen tonight. You won't see many.

I live in Kansas. Just trying to help. I'm seeing lots of gobblers running together. Good luck and keep us posted!
                  Last edited by eastover53; 05-21-2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Set up where I saw that hen this morning. It’s a grazed down wheat field with a block of timber behind me. Don’t know if it’s a roosting spot or not but seen a total of 3 birds just off this block. I threw out my decoy in case one hits this field to feed before going to roost. Not doing any calling. I let a coyote catch me by surprise when it came in for my decoy.

Name:	FB508112-7190-4726-BB29-6CF5589CF8AC.jpeg
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	24652842

Comment

I’m betting all hens are nesting....but they still gotta eat. That’s why you see random ones during the day. Good luck with your adventure Sqiggy!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                        I’m betting all hens are nesting....but they still gotta eat. That’s why you see random ones during the day. Good luck with your adventure Sqiggy!
                        Yeah, I just figured they would feed after sunrise. Not mid day and early afternoon. But hey, what do I know. I haven’t been hunting turkeys very long. I just want to hear one gobble. That’s what gets me fired up!!!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Name:	88387AB7-C0B7-4D1D-B139-6BBB303B819E.jpeg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	24652859
                            Just had a good supper with a ribeye and baked taters from the fire pit. I can’t get over this wind. Out in the field, it seemed to lay but as soon as I got back to camp, I thought I was going have to tie everything down.
                            Couple more days then I’ll probably head back home. Gonna try a different place in the morning and try to get there to hopefully hear some gobbling on the roost.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                              [ATTACH]1050500[/ATTACH]
                              Gonna try a different place in the morning and try to get there to hopefully hear some gobbling on the roost.
                              Well??

Did you find some birds?

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                                Well??

Did you find some birds?
                                Just got back to camp for a late breakfast. Got out this morning right on time. Haven’t heard the first gobble. I know they are there. Seeing lots of tracks. Wind wasn’t to bad either. Don’t know. Guess they got the ole lock jaw!!! About to roll out and hunt another spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X