No announcement yet.

Vinyl Plank or Engineered Hardwood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I weighed the same thoughts, and went with engineered hardwood. I just don't like the feel of vinyl.
    We have some high-end vinyl in my office and it just doesn't seem to be holding up to wear very well. That being said, we did have one water incident that would have resulted in wood flooring being ripped out, but with the vinyl we just dried it out and it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
      We went with the LVP after a friend had it done. Would never go back to hardwood or laminate and we hate carpet aka filth containment fabric. If you have heavy furniture, kids/grand kids or pets its a no brainer and cant visually tell the difference. Ours is textured grain also. The tile will put a hurt on your feet after a while if you like to barefoot or just socks. My parents went all ceramic and developed plantars facsitis sp??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. LVP here and it has been so nice with the minimal maintenance and quick cleanups. The older I get the more I am about low maintenance. We love the look too.

Comment

I installed laminate flooring in our living room, kitchen, dining room, and hallway about 20 yrs ago. This was the stuff that had the separate cushion pad and it has a very smooth surface (dispite the wood appearance). It has lasted fairly well, but you can see signs of slight water damage near our back door and in a few places in the kitchen (the edges are cupping slightly). Dropping stuff on it (including screwdrivers) doesn't phase it all.

About 8 yrs after that, I was able to find the same pattern laminate again for our 3 bedrooms, but this time it had a surface texture to it and the padding was already installed on the pieces. Feel is better on your feet with the texture and those areas have held up well, even with some foundation movement we have had over the years. You can tell it is a floating floor by noticing a few pieces will shift from the wall edge from time to time, but they will push back into place.

We liked the laminate when we installed it, but like anything else, it was new then, not now. It is holding up well considering we didn't pay a fortune for it.

Last year, I installed vinyl planks in our motorhome. This stuff was monumentably easier to install than the laminate! The feel is way better than the laminate also. It also has texture to it but feels more like walking on actual wood than the laminate does. Being it is inside an RV, there is definitely more movement in the flooring than what you would see in a typical house setting, but it does extremely well in going back into place.

The one downside to vinyl that I absolutley hate is the use of certain rugs on that flooring. We have rubber-backed rugs in our RV because that helps to keep them from moving around a lot. But they generate a HUGE amount of static when pulling them up off the floor! And it's not just a small little "crackle" either, it creates loud "snaps" and "pops"! (I can feel the hair on my back stand up even under my shirt!)
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Same. LVP here and it has been so nice with the minimal maintenance and quick cleanups. The older I get the more I am about low maintenance. We love the look too.

You could run a pressure washer in the house if you had to [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
            You could run a pressure washer in the house if you had to [emoji23][emoji23]

Hahaha true true....

Comment

Any love for the hardwood look tile? We have engineered all throughout our house and it's OK, but as others have mentioned, a weak fart will scratch it. Next time I think we're going the tile route.

Comment

Working...
              X